“Awesome Food but Bad Service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Californian
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Richmond, Virginia
“Awesome Food but Bad Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I think it is part of their style. Awesome food but bad service. Food is quick and high quality but the wait staff has no TLC. It seems as if this is planned.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Saint Charles, Illinois
“As good anything as you will get in Little Italy, NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I travel often to Richmond on business and rely on our local contact for restaurant recommendations - he never disappoints but he outdid himself with his suggestion of Mama Zu's. I've now been twice in my last two visits, once for lunch and once for dinner. Don't be put off by the exterior of the building; you want marble and a cheap fountain go to Olive Garden, you want great Italian go to Mama Zu's. The food is great, the prices affordable (but only cash or AMEX?) and the service attentive. (According to the local press Bruce Springsteen ate here earlier in the year but I cannot find his trip advisor review.)

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond, VA
“Always great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Ate there last night with all of our meals outstanding. I had the pork chops and they were the best I ever had. Large portions so I and the 3 others at our table took about half of our food for another meal. Always a wait to get in.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond
“Love it or hate it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Hands down best restaurant in Richmond. New York would be proud to have it. The food is french and robust and great value. Not everyone will like the neighborhood or the "ambience". Also no decaf or light beer (we have our standards) and they only take cash and American Express. Reservations for 6 or more only.

Visited April 2014
Richmond, VA
“20 years and it's still at the top of the list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have been eating in this restaurant since it opened, and it is still my favorite! You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. I always bring out of town folks here and all agree, Mamma's rocks! Funky. Delicious. Garlic goodness. Be prepared to wait. It's worth it.

• Visited April 2014