“delish, helpful and affordable” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Caribbean, Cuban, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Virginia
“delish, helpful and affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Tried this restaurant for the first time with a friend, at the suggestion of a co-worker. Yum. He was so right! I asked our server, Ray, for his recommendation between 2 choices on the menu, and he involuntarily raised his fingers to his mouth at my second option, and kissed the air, as I'd expect from an Italian. What could I do but go with his recommendation: an omelet with slow-cooked pork, accompanied by black beans and rice, fried plantations and cornbread. The pork was amazing: soft, juicy, flavorful. And so much of it stuffed in there. The plantations were also delish. I couldn't finish my serving so took some home for dinner. And Ray was not only right-on about that dish, but he also was back frequently to refill our water glasses. Then, my friend and I sat outside for another 30+ minutes to keep talking — not wanting to part just yet and drive our separate ways (she back to Chesapeake, me to Charlottesville). Ray came out, and when we asked if we might purchase ice tea to-go, he brought them right out to us and refused to let me tip him. "Just come back," he said. And we will. There's more on the menu that I'd like to try. . . . Eclectic atmosphere. Great food. Attentive service. Wonderful prices. I only wish the music were quieter, so we could talk a little more easily — but, hey, that's far down the totem pole of requests when everything else is so good.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Virginia
“Really, really good !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

You gotta try this one. Outstanding food, outstanding service. We started with the Kuba beef hash empanadillas - wonderful (and they are large). Also ordered the scallop ceviche - best I've ever had (comes with large salad tossed with a slightly sweet vinaigrette dressing). We then moved on to a Cuban sandwich (wonderful roast pork, country ham, chorizo, swiss cheese (large, enough to two people). Special of the day was ropa vieja - a wonderful Cuban version of pot roast, served over rice (again, enough for two people). Yes... we had a lot of food to take home. Don't leave without having a piece of the tres leche cake (best I've ever had).

• Visited September 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“This is a great place for dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

It was the second time I tried Kuba-Kuba and both have been excellent. It has a diner look to it but don't let that put you off. The food is great, portions large, and the prices just right. There is a wide variety of items on the menu from full entrees, salads, and omelets. The service was very good. If you are in a hurry, you can eat at the counter. The only thing that kept me from excellent is no beer on tap. They have a good selection of beers but in a city with multiple microbreweries they should have at least a few. Great meal and I will go back.

• Visited August 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“nice late lunch with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Me and 3 of my girlfriends came here for lunch. They all ordered their specialty coffee drinks- sorry I can't remember the name but apparently they are famous for it. One of my friends was on the atkins diet and our server happily worked with her to make a dish work for her. The other 2 ordered the cuban sandwich, it was very tasty. They use a panini press instead of doing it on the flat top which is much better. When it's done on the grill it almost always seems soggy. I ordered the scallop ceviche. I've had many ceviches before and loved them but never scallop and I was curious. It was prob because I hadn't eaten yet that day but I couldn't eat more than a few bites. I couldn't get past the texture but I could tell that I still loved the flavor. I've had numerous friends tell me how much they love this place and I can recommend it just based on that. It's a small place, nothing fancy and it only has one bathroom. I wouldn't just walk in with a large group. Had a nice experience even though I didn't eat much. The service was great- oh and I love their cute aprons.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Just go.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I sat at the bar next door after hours with the chef discussing how he was going to go procure the goat for the dinner special the next night. This is high quality food. They care, they love it. It taste amazing. Their brunch is perfect for fixing your last nights revenge also. Just go eat there.

• Visited May 2013