“Just go.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Takeout
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Just go.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I sat at the bar next door after hours with the chef discussing how he was going to go procure the goat for the dinner special the next night. This is high quality food. They care, they love it. It taste amazing. Their brunch is perfect for fixing your last nights revenge also. Just go eat there.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Richmond, Virginia
“Big on flavor, big on portions, small on price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I have been to Kuba Kuba half a dozen times and have never been disappointed. The food is amazing - we're fans of the roast pork and paella. The food is very fresh and flavorful, not too spicy or salty. Eggs at brunch, Cuban coffee, and tres leche for desert are also great, depending on the meal and your appetite. Portions are always huge for the price; we almost always leave with tasty leftovers. Take-out is also available (and you still get massive portions).

Kuba Kuba's only "downside" is the service & atmosphere. It's fashioned like a typical Cuban diner from the 50's and is almost too authentic in that regard, as there are fixtures and trim that don't look like they've been updated in 60+ years. Also, its a small space with limited seating options, especially for large parties. And the waitstaff, while pleasant and adequate, are not going to be particularly attentive once your entrees have been delivered. None of these things steer us away, and in fact we feel like its all part of Kuba Kuba's charm, but its easy to imagine them being turn-offs for the less adventurous diners who prefer chains or finer dining.

• Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, MN
“Cubano!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Was in town visiting when a friend took me there for dinner. While it has a "dive" look, the food is most definitely not dive. I had the Kubanaso sandwich along with the avocado salad, probably more food than I needed but worth stuffing my face. Only complaint - try to avoid getting the table next to the bathroom if you can, way too much traffic and people asking us if someone was in there.

Piedmont North Carolina
“A bit of Miami in the Fan District”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I would give this a "4" if I were just rating the food.

For brunch on Sunday, my friend and I shared the empanadas (one stuffed with savory meat, the other with unctuous white cheese), a Spanish inspired tortilla (stuffed with potatoes, tomatoes, chilis, spinach and onions and topped with cheese and chopped sweet peppers) served with cornbread, and the cuban-inspired pulled pork (with beans and rice, fried plantain, and garnishes). Everything was prepared with absolutely fresh ingredients and cooked to perfection. I ended with a double Cuban coffee. The menu contains some classics that are worth trying for sure, ropa vieja, for just one example. We were too full to sample the desserts, but the pastel de tres leches and the pastel de chocolate were monumental. The portions are huge, by the way, and the prices are low.

I did not mind the ambiance at all, nor did my friend, but I heard some complaints regarding the heat, the smoke from the kitchen, the closeness of the tables, and the availability of only one bathroom. The decor is Cuban funk. The clientele was eclectic to say the least (bow ties and suspenders to neon hair and tattoos). Everyone loves good food at a great price, I suppose. The wait staff are knowledgeable and attentive.

This was my first time eating here, andI will eat here again, for sure, as well as recommend this to those who don't mind the somewhat hot and cramped space nor the Cuban-funk decor and disarray.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Danville, Virginia
“First time eating cuban”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to me by two friends who live in Richmond. They were right on the money. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to being as though this was my first time eating cuban food BUT I know tasty food and THIS is tasty food. I love the atmosphere!! My husband got the paella mariscos and i got the pollo con arroz. I didn't hear a peep out of him he was so busy chowing down. He got the cafe cubano over ice and I had a wonderful cortadito. I paid 13.95 for the arroz con pollo but I got two full meals out of that one dish. The cornbread is to die for. I had to ask for some to go. I would highly recommend this place if you are looking for tasty local non chain food.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere