“Good ribs, good service, good value” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Good ribs, good service, good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

As a Yankee and a lover of BBQ, when I go south of the Mason Dixon line I always try to hit a local BBQ restaurant. Glad I did!
I met a friend in Richmond that recommended Extra Billy's. It was a Wednesday and all you can eat ribs and it was good. The food came out with a minimal wait and tasted as good as it looked. They only stopped bringing the ribs when we said stop. The ribs were moist and had a good amount of smoke. Sauce, top notch but not needed on the ribs.
Along with the ribs came 2 sides. I had the coleslaw and the greens, my friend, the greens and the mac & cheese. All of the sides were good.

They had a nice looking salad bar that we didn't visit. It came with the regular dinners. Why have salad when you can have ribs? I can get salad in NJ!

Dinner was good, but did not break the bank. Good food, good value

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Chester, Virginia
“The Bomb for Family Run”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Harr Family works hard at keeping things simple with handmade sauce and good ol'southern style BBQ. I love the onion rings, hush puupies, and greens.

Visited February 2013
Hampstead, Maryland
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

As barbeque lovers, we were excited to dine in this restaurant after tasting their food - and loving it - at Hogtober. But the dine-in food was completely unremarkable and not worth returning for. The atmosphere is really cool but they were playing some lame lite music, which didn't make us want to eat barbeque. Food arrived quickly but the service was poor in that the waitress seemed to hate her job.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Smithfield, VA
“Smok'n Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We pass thru Richmond at dinner time after a noon UVA football game now and again, and often make it a point of dining at EB's. There is never a wait to be seated as they never seem to be busy around 6:00 PM. The food is served fairly quickly. This time was no different. I ordered the Rib Combo, including beef brisquette. The ribs are well smoked and tasty, and there is sauce in a dispenser on the table to enhance the flavor. These ribs are not falling off the bone. Just not prepared that way, so be prepared to perform some surgery to get the meat off the bone. You can gnaw at it, but I have a testy front crown among my set of choppers, and don't dare wrestle with my teeth. The beef was very good also, with just enough fat along the edge to add some more flavor. I enhanced it with some more BBQ sauce. My sides were BBQ beans ... and apple sauce ... the chunky kind. Fairly good. No complaints

The queen had prime rib. It was cooked the way she prefers, but did not enjoy a lot of seasoning during the roasting process, so it did lack in that respect. Her sides were greens ... which she said were great ... probably seasoned with ham ... and green beans ... they were passably good.

The bill was reasonable. We were in and out in no time. The food was pretty darned good. The waitress was very nice and checked in on us frequently, perhaps from boredom. We'll return again, needless to say.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, VA
“Great barbeque...sides, not so much”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Went with my wife this evening and had the babyback ribs....very god, great smoke flavor. The sides - I had the baked beans and collard greens were a disappointment..they tasted like they came straight from a can. The ribs however pulled the total experience into an acceptable meal out.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere