“Awesome food and great beer! Neat place!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #111 of 1,379 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Knoxville, Tn
“Awesome food and great beer! Neat place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I are from Knoxville, TN where the Vietnamese food scene is severely lacking and limited. So when we found out about this place and that it was only 0.4 miles from our hotel, we were all over it! My husband loves beer (me, not so much) so he of course had to sample some! He some sort of dark, cream beer that he said was awesome! They have quite the selection, after all, their motto is "Mekong is for Beer Lovers!" We decided to start with an order of the chicken wings for an appetizer. Holy cow they were seriously incredible!! They were breaded (but not boneless) and covered in a sauce made from sweet chilis and fish sauce. They were so good, we are constantly talking about how we wish we could have more of them! My husband had the clay pot pork for his dinner and I had the curry and onion chicken for mine. Both were seriously delicious! I loved that they didn't skimp on the peanuts in my dish, and the curry was just right in richness, thickness, and flavor. Also, my chicken was tender and not overcooked! My husband's pork was so delicious that I only got to try a tiny bite of it. :) As other people have mentioned, the service can be a bit slow, but our waiter was very very nice, efficient, and kept our drinks filled. Our bill was $40 for an appetizer, two entrees, and two beers, which we thought was very reasonable given the good quality of the food! We would definitely go back if we ever make it back to Richmond!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“Great food so so service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The food is delicious and their beer list is awesome. Sometimes they fail to acknowledge you when you come in which probably loses them a few patrons.

Visited August 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
“Noodles didn't taste like the real vietnamese noodle”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We ordered the fried noodle and fried rices and they both didn't taste the same as what we always eat at Vietnamese restaurant. The noodle isn't suppose to be sticky and stuck with each other. Each noodle should be separated. The sauce they use on the claypot fish is too sweet. You definitely need to eat with rice to dilute the sweetness of the sauce.

I believe probably this place is famous for its beer service for locals. On my way out, I saw the awards - best restaurant in Richmond awards. This makes me wonder how did they win it. Of course for sure, they are not the best.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kennett Square
“always great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

been here before and will always try when I visit Richmond. This time I took a business associate, it was a bit noisy, but the food and the beer selection are second to none. go to this place!

Visited August 2013
Springfield, Virginia
“Outstanding Asian food and beer too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Mekong is a beer lovers place with more than 50 beers available. In addition they have a full bar. But, the real star here is the food. Fresh ingredients and exceptional execution make this a place I definitely want to return to. Meat eater or vegetarian, there are so many choices, you won't believe it.

Visited July 2013