“AWESOME!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Grotta Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 1,380 Restaurants in Richmond
Cross street: 13th Street
McKinney, Texas
“AWESOME!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

AWESOME!! Quaint atmosphere, wonderful food, adorable (British!) waiter! All in all, a fabulous evening!

Visited May 2012

McKinney, Texas
“FABULOUS!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

IT WAS BEYOND EXCEPTIONAL!! I am so glad a friend told me about this place! It was a fabulous find and the food was surely prepared by the hands of an angel! I had the quail and it was other wordly! Do yourself a favor and get him FAST!

Visited May 2012
richmond, va
“great meal, but need alcohol disclosure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

La Grotta has an authentic Italian feel, but also feels a bit dated. As the name might imply, La Grotta is in the basement, so it has a bit of a claustrophobic feel with no windows. The service was mostly excellent. Our waiter seemed to really enjoy being a waiter. He enthusiastically told us about the specials, the dessert menu, etc. He seemed to be spread a little thin. I know he had at least one other table that was at the same meal stage as us, keeping his workload high.
We did not explore the wine menu, so I can't comment on that.
My wife had a caesar salad and the gnocchi. She enjoyed them both, but she said the gnocchi was limited to one flavor. I had the Veal Scallopini with asparagus- a regular menu item. Mashed potatoes and escarole came with this and I enjoyed everything. It might be worth noting that the menu on their website is not the current menu in the restaurant.
We saved room for dessert and this was the only area where we were disappointed. We both ordered dessert and they were both served on a zabaglione, which (unknown to us) contains alcohol. Our server did not mention this fact when covering the dessert menu. My wife is 3 months pregnant, so not obviously showing, She picked up on the taste of alcohol, and we asked the waiter about it. He confirmed that it had alcohol, but then went on to tell us that they serve it to children with the consent of the parents and that it's not very much. After we explained that my wife is pregnant, he apologized, but made no offer to have it remade or anything else. My wife avoided the zabaglione, but it really should've been mentioned in the dessert descriptions. This was the only flaw in an otherwise excellent meal, but it's a pretty glaring oversight for a number of people - recovering alcoholics, pregnant women, those with religious beliefs which prevents them from consuming, etc.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Northern Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Had lunch here, not a good luch choice very heavy food items alot of sauces and calories. Highly recommend for a dinner choice. Very large selection of menu items with good pricing spead. Great atmosphere.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Food poisoning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

Ordered a bottle of wine, the pasta sampler and and the filet mignon last night and I am still throwing up and running to the restroom every 30 mins. Its now 8am and my weekend looks to be pretty much ruined. Other than that, the service was excellent! Although I personally will not be back, I am sure this is not a regular occurance given the numerous positive reviews. Eat at own risk!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere