“Good food, shoddy service, indifferent Management” 2 of 5 stars

804-643-6900
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Original Bookbinders is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,304 Restaurants in Richmond
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 24th and East Cary Street
Richmond, Virginia
“Good food, shoddy service, indifferent Management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Not our first visit, but we received a gift card as a wedding gift. 2 diners - entrees served 5 minutes apart. Server apologized. We mentioned to floor manager,(server did not bring it to his attention) he apologized, said that was not normal. Left a voice message for John Taxin to make sure Management knew how disappointing this was for the price paid - he never called back. As we left the hostess was texting on her phone and quickly put it away. Such a disappointment. I wouldn't expect poor expediting and employees on cell phones at Bookbinders. They could have comp'd my husband's glass of wine as a gesture. We have another certificate to use - maybe they have "to-go" orders.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Great service, good food, poor value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Beautiful space, friendly and well-trained wait staff. Proteins well prepared but menu seems a bit dated and uninspired and over-proced, given that all sides are a la carte ($11 for a side of asparagus, in March when it's $1.99/lb in the market? come on...).

Visited March 2014
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Bookbinders is a must Stop in Richmond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I've posted several times at this restaurant and there's a reason why I get excited about this place. It starts out with a friendly greeting when you walk thru the door, a feel like you're a part of the family, the owner comes over to your table to catch up on events and news in his beloved city of Philadelphia, the daughter chatting with you and getting excited about her 16th birthday, a server named Melissa who goes out of her way to make sure your experience is special and lastly, the food rocks! I decided to take advantage of their new spring menu and order different items than my previous visits. I started out with the Oysters on the half shell and they were big ones from Long Island and accompanied with a cocktail sauce and were out of this world. I usually enjoy their mushrooms stuffed with cheese, wine and bacon bits and those were so tantalizing and ordered their special fish, mahi mahi stuffed with lumb crabmeat and also got a side on the top and I was in heaven! Lastly, I ordered a side of asparagus with hollendaise sauce so I asked Melissa if it would be possible to get asparagus without hollendaise sauce and she insisted that a fresh order of asparagus sans hollendaise sauce would come to my table. Since I am trying to watch my girlie figure and fit into my outfits, I was delighted to hear that response. Melissa, you are the best!

I feel like I am treated like royalty at this restaurant and despite reviewers complaining about the prices, you are indulging at one of Richmond's finest restaurants and it's hard to beat the food anywhere else in this town. Yes, I am little biased since I've eaten at their restaurant in Philly for many years before its demise but the quality and service has not changed in Richmond.

I look forward to indulging at this establishment when I return in June or July. Jeanette, you better come over to my table next time.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mechanicsville, Virginia, United States
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband took me here for Valentine's Day. The food was wonderful. Service was great. Crab cakes were delicious. Wine selection is good. It is the perfect place for a romantic dinner.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Amazing dinner and stellar service. The lobster Mac and cheese and crab cakes are a cant miss! The service was stellar and wine list had something for everyone. It was a perfect place for a business meeting.

Visited January 2014