“Not That Good - sorry dry at best” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #457 of 1,303 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Dessert, Barbecue, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Our mission is to provide our customers with a delicious all naturally smoked pork shoulder that is chopped to order right in font of the customer. Our appetizers, side dishes and desserts are home made fresh daily along with our signature sauces. Our business philosophy is simple: "Treat others as you would personally like to be treated and provide them with the best quality products and services at reasonable prices." Our restaurant has received the Governor Bob McDonald's award for Best BBQ in Virginia 2010, We have been featured on Virginia This Morning (WTVR Channel 6) as Best BBQ in Richmond. We are the ONLY BBQ restaurant that has been invited to the Governor's Mansion 3 years in a row (4 including this year when the event is scheduled) to showcase our BBQ. At Benny's BBQ we strive to serve you the best BBQ meal we can offer. As a rule since the original owner, Benny Gill owned the restaurant if you are not satisfied with your meal we will gladly make it right for you. All we ask in return is the opportunity to make your dining experience most enjoyable. Our servers are trained to check on our guests several times during your meal to make sure you are happy with your entire dining experience.
Niceville, Florida
“Not That Good - sorry dry at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Had a pork sandwich yesterday and even though it took awhile to get our food, the pork sandwich still lacked what I expected. The pork was very dry and dousing the sandwich with sauce did little to make things better. Not good, just pass this one buy.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“A Richmond Treasure -- One of the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Slow-cooked pork, classic southern side dishes, secret recipes for everything from string beans to baked beans to bread pudding with bourbon sauce, Benny's stands in a class by itself. The desserts are homemade, the pork and beef is pulled or chopped before your eyes, and the waitstaff is as warm as the hush puppies. Whether you like your bbq with a bold Va. sauce, or a tangy NC vinegar sauce, or drizzled with a sweet Texas-style sauce, Benny's has special homemade bbq sauces that rival whatever you're used to "back home."

I don't know where Cabell M. would rather eat, but his snide rudeness won't be missed. There's a McD's in the same shopping center, perhaps they have what you're looking for.

Benny's was and is fantastic, and we should know: we just ate there.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Save time, Close now”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Have been on several occasions at Stoney Point to dine in and take out. The main reason is it is less than two miles from my home. It certainly was not for the food. I found it OK but nothing special. It was priced, however, as if someone was really proud of it. I have not been in about 6 months because of the price (as I recall around $20 for 2 BBQ, onion rings and non alcoholic beverages). When going for takeout I felt like I was not really wanted and was in their way (usually around four o'clock). I was thinking about giving it another try but after reading the article in the T/D this morning, I doubt I make it before they close. Instead of blaming their lack of success on the economy the owner needs to look in the mirror and make some changes. By the way their is a Mexican restaurant and an Italian restaurant in the same shopping center. Both offer better tasting food, better service, at better or equal prices. Makes the choice for a lot of people easier.

Forgot to give the onion rings a thumbs up. They are almost as good as O'tooles. You pay more, however.

Chesterfield, Virginia
“Great Onion Rings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Nice place, in a strip mall. Had onion rings for an appetizer, and they were the 2nd best we've had in Richmond (O'Tooles are the best). My wife had chicken, and said it was a little dry. I had the ribs, and they were okay, from a taste standpoint. My idea of awesome baby back ribs are those where the meat will literally fall off the bone. You had to chew the meat off of these bones. The mac-n-cheese side dish was great. I might give this place another try.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I went to Benny's based on a friend's recommendation. I thought it was okay, but not great. Contrary to other reviewers, I found the service friendly & prompt. I thought the hushpuppies were good, and the chopped pork BBQ was okay. The sides were adequate (we sampled baked beans, collards, and lima beans. We decided not to get dessert, since everything else we had was nothing special. We weren't anxious to get out of there, we just didn't feel like lingering.

I'm a hard grader when it comes to BBQ. I'm still looking for something good/great. This was just okay...but so is most stuff I've come across in restaurant world.

• Visited September 2012