“Still superb” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Patina Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #241 of 1,379 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad Street
Description: Patina is Short Pump’s go-to spot for an independent culinary establishment. Our menu, created by Executive Chef Kyle Cox, an Elby award nominee, contains a variety of dishes in the farm to table to fork tradition, prepared nightly by Chef Cox, using the freshest seasonal ingredients available.Chef Cox’s prepares all dishes using as many sustainable, organic, local and ethical products as possible. Because we use the best products from the best farms, we know we are bringing the best possible food and service to your table.
richmond, va
“Still superb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Ate here a few times as Patina Grille. First time here as just "Patina". Improved dining area (now sans the black curtain) and the waiter...is still there. :) Excellent dinner by all (3 of us). My lobster was cooked to perfection. The oysters appetizer was delicious and the guys said the rockfish was great. Dessert was to die for. Will go back again.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Powhatan, VA
“Great ambiance and service and PERFECT portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have eaten at Patina many times over the years so when it came under new management last year, I was a little nervous about what would become of this neighborhood gem. I am over-the-moon happy about the improvements! The decor stayed the same but the food and beverage options improved. The wine list includes good wine, not grocery store wine. The bartender can make good, old fashion drinks as well as new, fun drinks. And the menu has been scaled back so as not to overwhelm. Every time I have been in the past year I have left satisfied - not sick over ginormous servings. The offerings are different, fresh and delicious. It is a perfect spot for couples and is also appropriate for a family. I find the new management and staff to be very accommodating as well. If you are looking for chain restaurant food, this would not be a good alternative. But if you are looking to enjoy amazing, appropriate portions of multiple courses, I highly recommend it.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glen Allen, VA
“Ridiculed by the waiter”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

When I arrived at the Patina Grill at 6:15 PM on Wed, Oct 2, there was only one other party seated in the restaurant. I believe there were no more than 4 or 5 additional parties the entire evening. Which leads me to conclude that the restaurant cannot afford to chase away customers with incredibly rude treatment. Yet, that is what happened.

While I waited for my friend to join me, a waiter explained the evening’s wine special. The wine that is normally available by the glass, if purchased as a whole bottle instead, would be half price. He didn’t explain it well and I tried to clarify; did this mean that the $70 bottle of chardonnay I saw on the wine list would be $35? With clear annoyance, he said no. The only bottles half-price were those for wine available by the glass. Confusing, yes. And not easy to explain. I didn’t deserve his annoyance, which was evident in his tone. But wait, it gets worse.

A minute or two later, within both my eyesight and earshot, this waiter reiterates our exchange to a chef, in a tone full of disdain and ridicule. I cannot quote him verbatim but it was very close to “what is so hard to understand?” to which the chef replied “some customers can be so dumb.” I could hear every word. Amazing. So I got up and walked over to them and told the waiter that I could hear everything he was saying, that I didn’t appreciate being ridiculed, and could I please see a manager.

A woman who had been behind the bar came over a minute or two later. I am not clear if she was a manager or not, as she did not introduce herself. She was pleasant, but didn’t handle the apology as well as she could have; she tried to defend how difficult the wine special is to explain. Wrong approach. That’s your problem. I told her as much; my issue was with being ridiculed and talked about in a disdainful manner within earshot.

Had I not been expecting a friend to join me, I would have left at this point. The Patina Grill did not deserve my business. But, to avoid spoiling the evening, I stayed and my friend joined me. Our second waiter was okay. Nothing particularly remarkable, except that my friend asked his name – Mark. He then asked ours – let’s say we told him Mary and Elaine. He proceeded to call us Mary and Elaine throughout the rest of the meal. My friend didn’t seem to mind but call me old school. I think first names are overly familiar and rather presumptuous.

The food was very good, although I had to hunt a bit for the goat cheese on my salad; could have used more. The scallops were delicious, and my friend’s lamb was excellent as well. We ordered dessert, which Mark told us later would be comp’d by the restaurant.

There is so very little to choose from in Richmond’s far west end that is not a chain restaurant. I root for the local venues and try to support them. But gosh darn it, I doubt I will ever be back to the Patina Grill. With upscale food at relatively upscale prices, I expect a professional level of service. This episode may be an isolated incident, but be forewarned.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Midlothian, Virginia
“Zero Value”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and went to Patina last night and I have to say that it was pathetic. I don't mind overpaying for wine at a restaraunt, that is a given, but paying 28.00 dollars for a hanger steak that was litterally 6 small pieces of average taste was quite dissapointing. Perhaps it could have been considered a marginal Tapas dish if the cost was 12.00. I mentioned the extremely small portion to our waiter who basically asked us if we wanted to order more, after we said no, he then asked if we were on a budjet, I am not kidding. 40.00 wine 28.00 entree 2 salads and moderate tip 99.00. we left hungry and unhappy. Please do yourselves a favor and skip this spot, unless you are not hungry when you go and don't mind overpaying.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kassetta, Owner at Patina Restaurant, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Tim

As one of the owners of Patina, I felt compelled to respond to your review of our restaurant. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Just for your info, the recommended serving size is a 2-3 oz of cooked meat, poultry and fish. Our Chef portions out 7-8 oz of "protein" per dish. This is doubled the USDA recommendation. Our dishes are created to make the customer feel "satisfied, not stuffed" after the meal. Because we use the best products from the best farms using as many sustainable, organic, local and freshest products as possible our dish prices might be slightly higher then the chain restaurants. Please keep in mind the portion sizes are individual and not designed for sharing, which I understood you and your wife did. Perhaps the reason you felt hungry and unhappy at the end of the meal. However, the comment made by a member of my wait staff is unacceptable and I must apologize for his behavior. I can assure you this will not happen again. Lastly, I can appreciate comments on my food and staff however advising other people to stay away from my restaurant is disturbing to me and my staff. Perhaps if you didn't share a meal you would have been satisfied with the portion.
Glen Allen
“Second chance... Not again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is twice now that I have eaten at Patina and will say again the amount you pay for such a small dinner sucks. Sad part is that the waiter agreed and said I was not the only one complaining. Nothing was done other than see you later... Not again... Won't be long and they will be out of business. My suggestion is to find another place for dinner. 4 peopled 2 apps and 4 dinner plates couple drinks No wine $250.00!!! Diner beware...

• Visited June 2013