“Good food; mediocre location” 4 of 5 stars

804-977-1300
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #286 of 1,303 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Coffee Shop, Sandwiches, Mediterranean, Pizza & Pasta, Vegetarian, Fusion, Wine Bar, Vegan
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Good food; mediocre location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I did lunch here: salads and pizza. We both enjoyed our meal. The restaurant is modern and somewhat stark. Our food was very good. An authentic tasting Italian style brick oven pizza. The area surrounding the restaurant is developing and is, in my opinion, somewhat sketchy. You have to park on the street which might mean a modest walk. A good option for a lunch date.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
“Good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I went to Flames 231 on a living social deal. Parking is just about impossible, and the streets weren't really even crowded. Busy area, not a busy restaurant. I went with my boyfriend and we each ordered a pizza and as an appetizer we got the fococcia bread. It tasted kind of funny and the oregano was burnt. It was served with oil and seasonings. The herbs were sparce. The bread would be better served with the pizza sauce. Anyhow, we both ordered the gourmet pepperoni pizza and ended up taking half of it home. Bigger than expected, a nice surpirse. There was a bucket of sauce on my pizza and about 5 shreds of cheese, but surprisingly it tasted just fine. And the salami-that's-not-pepperoni-on-the-pepperoni-pizza was delicious. Pizzas were $10 each and the Fococcia was $4. $24 plus tax. Well, you would think anyway. The receipt said all the charges were correct, but the total had an unaccounted for $2. Just $2, but weird considering the post below me that indicates they had a strange miscount of money. I don't know. The service was fine. The waitress was flirty. Awkward with your boyfriend there, but that's kind of their job. The food was good and the sauce is heavy on garlic of cracked red pepper, just like i like it. We had an overall good experience. I can't guarantee i'll be back. To sum it up, order the pizza, check your receipt and schedule an extra 5 minutes to find parking.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Good Pizza, Make Sure You Time Your Order”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went there for dinner the other week, our first visit. The food wasn't bad but the entire experience was lacking. I'll give you some tips so hopefully you will have a better time if you choose to try it.

Tip - Thursday is 1/2 wine on selected bottles. We had the Nero Nero for $19. Nice wine.
Tip- check your bill on 1/2 wine night. We were credited $16 when it should've been $19 and we had to ask for it to be rerun.
Tip- don't order a martini. My Cosmo was too sweet and too pink. DH's Bombay Sapphire was ok, Sette makes them better if you want pizza and cocktails.
Tip- if you are ordering an appetizer and a pizza, wait to order the pizza. We ordered the wine and the app and when our waitress came back with the wine, we ordered pizza. Bad call. Our pizza came out first and we had to ask about our appetizer.

Pizza with anchovies was terrific. Crisp crust and nicely fishy. We had the hummus too, as it happened, to finish the meal. It did not come with anything other than pizza bread to use with it and I have been trained by RVA restaurants to expect a mix of vegetables and feta. The hummus was too thin for what I like and the lack of veggies was disappointing. If I ever go back, I won't order this again.

All in all, I liked the pizza and the different combinations offered. If I ever go again it would be just for a bottle of wine and pizza on a Thursday. It just isn't enough to make me go that far off The Hill

• Visited February 2013