“Oysters Perfection, Delicious Seasonal Offerings!!” 4 of 5 stars

(804)545-0565
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rappahannock Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 1,379 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Transit: Stop 1052 on the GRTC bus line.
Ashland, Virginia
“Oysters Perfection, Delicious Seasonal Offerings!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife and I selected Rappahannock for a personal Saturday evening celebration. Greeted graciously by the front staff we were promptly seated and our delightful server Alexandra took over. Before even mentioning menu items we were given a choice between sparkling or natural water; we always prefer sparkling. She suggested oyster starters and helped up with cocktail selections and got everything out very promptly. The oysters were delicious as were our cocktails. We were informed about several main course choices and Alexandra answered all our questions. My wife's fish was cooked to perfection and the shad Roe I had was beautifully prepared though slightly overcooked. The panna cotta Dessert was simple and delicious!
We loved Rappahannock and our entire experience. Compared to other fine restaurants in Richmond their prices are pretty expensive. The small things add up and it's easy for the $30 entre to become a $70 per person meal not including the gratuity! We'll definitely return for another special evening out.

LONDON
“An oasis in a desert that is downtown Richmond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Having trawled around and found first endless shut down boarded up joints and dodgy fast food burger places I found Rappahannock shining like a beacon! Very contemporary, lovely design, bright and warm, chefs on show, fresh food being prepared- these guys are doing it right, no wonder the locals who can, go here- it was worth it. Super Oysters followed by great spicy seafood Paella and a couple nice beers. Great

Visited March 2014
Wake Forest, Nc
“You can make your dining world your oyster here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Rappahannock is the sister restaurant of the Merroir, the oyster tasting spot beside their oyster-packing plant so it is logical that the oysters here are the highlights. The ambiance is young and cool in this downtown spot and the menu, in addition to the raw bar, features oysters, fresh fish and scallops in addition to some meat entree choices. I had baked Rappahannock River oysters with bacon, sunchokes and leeks topped with breadcrumbs and they were delicious. (The restaurant offers 5 types of the company's own oysters from different local waters). My partner was ecstatic to find shad roe on the menu; their preparation with their own guanciale, Brussels sprouts, tiny cubes of pickled beets, dried cherries with a swirl of balsamic was delicious.
We even got dessert, a warm apple cobbler topped with crumbs and vanilla ice cream--slightly bland but a gold star for being homemade with real apples. Service was pleasant though the hosts were a bit indifferent--a bit more warmth on a very cold and rainy night would have been nice. I think price points are a bit high for what is offered.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

lovely restaurant in a great location, friendly staff,
busy Sat night, we were seated in the back, with reservations, (not that bad,, but one would think reservations would get a better seat)
waiter was very nice, even tho he brought me the wrong beer ,,,, which was ok, since I was going to have another anyway. however, they had already run out of my first choice at 7pm
very good beer list, draft and bottle, decent wine list as well, tho not as many by glass choices
the salad was fantastic, great mix of greens, wonderful salad dressing,
the meal, not so much for some of us,
scallops, seared, more like burnt on one side, not a good taste,
monkfish and baked oysters were good,

not sure if I would return for a meal, too expensive for the small portions, but may return for a few drinks and a appetizer at the bar,,
maybe

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Powhatan, Virginia
“Sucks Totally”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Miserable experience!! TOTALLY overpriced and the tiny quantity. I dropped $60 on three appetizers and tip - NO alcohol. I went home hungry and with a stomach ache! One of the appetizers made me sick as a dog. NEVER AGAIN!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere