“Expensive? Yes! But the restaurant is unique!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Kiev, Ukraine
“Expensive? Yes! But the restaurant is unique!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We traveled through Richmond and just looked for a nice place to eat. This restaurant was close and had good ratings on Tripadvisor. We really did not expect anything special BUT eventually it became our best culinary memory from a 2-week USA trip!

• Visited March 2013

Mechanicsville, Virginia
“expensive”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife and I ate there tonight and it was VERY expensive for what we got. A simple gin martini was$12, The waitress kept saying she was bringing bread but never did. Very small portions for the price, I got the monk fish and besides being just three tiny pieces it came with bacon that was almost raw. Not a good meal or experience. We will not be going back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
old church
“Small Diamond!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

It takes a lot to get my attention but Belmont does it right!! First off its 5, 7, 9 pm seatings so planning is important, even for two seats at the bar. If available get the table away from the door, cuts down on the draft and people bumps upon leaving and arriving. Settle in for a relaxed two hours with a nice flow of courses from the kitchen. Fixed price menu is a great option, wine list covers enough and staff can match up what you like with your order. Worth the 45 minute drive from east Old Church.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is an outstanding little gem in Richmond. Small (about 7 tables and seating at the bar, full service) and they only take reservations at 5, 7 and 9. So you may not make it in but if you do, you will have a wonderful dinner. We had the fixed pice menu, for $30 each, plus a $30 dollar bottle, so it's not cheap but so good. The H had chestnut soup and then scallops and I had mushroom tart and baked chicken. Usually I never order chicken out but this was the best I have ever had, anywhere. crisp skin, and moist, flavorful meat. What farm do these chickens come from? We did sit at the bar and it was fine....interacted some with the bartender, who was friendly, but not in your face as you enjoyed your meat. Will def go back and hope I can get in again. Best meal I have had in months.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Windhoek, Namibia
“Stellar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Wow. That's all I can manage. The Belmont Food Shop is a beautiful space with excellent staff and the best, freshest food Richmond has to offer.

We went for Valentine's day and were not surprised by the amazing dinner we were served.

Dan, the barman, was absolutely great--very creative in his "specialty" cocktail creations but also friendly, upbeat, and spot on with suggestions.

The wait staff were also awesome---polite, efficient, and very accomodating.

But the stand out all star has to be the kitchen staff---led by "rising chef" Mike Yavorsky. The dishes that came out of that kitchen were amazing-- we had the lovely appetizer--a delicious gougere, beautifully done shrimp and a smoked fish on lovely toast [super nice bruschetta!],the lobster and rockfish entrees, the chocolate silk pie and panna cotta..we left not only sated and satisfied but also in awe of the talent of the cooks at the Belmont. Something tells me that "rising hef" is not the last title Mr. Yavorsky will be awarded [am actually wondering why someone of his skill and talent was awarded "rising" and not full on "danger to all other chefs in the River City"! Must be because the restaurant is fairl new...]

This team is one to be reckoned with!

I will give a disclaimer in that we are fairly close neighbors to BFS, and know what decent and lovely folks they are, but...when it comes to food, service and ambience, this place has us spolied for all other Richmond restaurants (and we are some tough customers).

I can honestly say that I have not enjoyed such a great meal--Valentine's or not-- out in a long time and this place is head and shoulders above any other Richmnd establishment for it's creativity, warmth and the care everyone on staff provides. In fact, I would rate it as one of the very best meals I've had anywhere--and that includes New Orleans, NYC, Miami, DC, London and Johannesburg.

Much luck and well wishes to Mike and team--I am hoping you will be around and prospering always!

• Visited February 2013