“Alright” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Crozier, Virginia
“Alright”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

It wasn't intended to visit this place - just a destination to where we were headed this evening. My husband and I split a burger just to try the place out. It was beautiful to look at, but the burger was dry and not very interesting. The fried pickles served with it were very good, just felt that the burger was not the 8 ounce size in the description and not worth the $10 that it cost. We will probably not return - just were not as impressed as we expected.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“Above average pub fare with a pleasantly updated decor...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The gastro pub concept started in the UK when British pub owners began upgrading their establishments' culinary offerings in an effort to appeal to a wider family audience. Toast has enthusiastically embraced this concept and boasts an expanded pub menu and a pleasant minimalist decor, including a traditional bar that could have been lifted out of an old Western movie set. The menu offers the usual burger, sandwich and salad items, as well as a few imaginative daily specials. The beverage list has a number of novelty cocktails that are perfect for the "girls'-night-out" crowd. Also, there are breakfast items on the menu several days a week and on weekends.

In contrast to the city's other 567 restaurants serving essentially the same fare, the food quality at Toast seems to be a cut-above, and the interior forgoes the shabby chic esthetic that too often defines most Richmond entries in the "pub" category. The service is cheerful and surprisingly professional, and the prices reasonable. Net, net... if you're looking for a casual, reasonably priced date night option, or a family place that will appeal to almost everyone, you'll find Toast to be a pleasant and welcome surprise -- in a neighborhood where good dining options are almost non-existent.

Hampstead, Maryland
“Overpriced, but sandwiches and desserts are good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I heard that from a friend and she was exactly right. The menu looks really amazing and the atmosphere is nice. My husband enjoyed his burger but I found the chicken cordon blue pot pie way too salty. At least my dog enjoyed the leftovers. Really good banana pudding, but sadly no chocolate desserts were on the menu. I want to try more but I'm afraid to spend the money.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, VA
“A Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We were out running errands with our 3 year old son and needed to grab some dinner. The places in the area we typically frequent that are kid friendly are admittedly mediocre. We didn't realize the place that used to occupy Toast's space (which was also mediocre, so no big loss) had left, but pulled in the parking lot and decided we'd give the new place a try. I'm so glad we did!

We were there early and it was pleasantly full, not packed. The way they have remodeled the space is nice - kind of rustic meets industrial. We were given a booth and greeted right away by a very pleasant server.

My husband tried a couple of types of beers during dinner and really enjoyed perusing their large beer selection. I think he is looking forward to returning with some of his beer snob friends. :) There were games on the tv's by the bar and he could keep an eye on the game from our booth.

I looked at the wine list (but I was getting over being sick so didn't order anything this time) and the selection by the glass is small but covers all the bases. An Oregon pinot, a Napa cab, an Argentinian malbec, whites of each varietal - so there's really something you can have by the glass to compliment any meal. The bottle menu was similar, with a few more choices. There were many reasonably priced bottles, making that an option even for a weeknight or a casual dinner out.

I love that this restaurant has such a creative menu - but also offers a kid's menu. This is so rare. Usually if there is a kid's menu, the rest of the menu is kind of blah. Toast has something for all of us. My son had a really good grilled cheese panini with several kinds of cheese and on fresh bread. It came with sweet potato tater tots, which we all ate. Yum! I would eat that meal myself - and I never say that about kid's menu food.

My husband and I split the crab nachos and an order of the crab mac n' cheese. I guess we were in a crab mod! Both were delicious, though rich. We probably should have ordered one dish that wasn't as rich! It was a bit indulgent. The nachos could be split between a table of 4 as an appetizer. We had sriracha on the side, which gave a nice kick.

The crab mac n' cheese was served with a small salad on the side that was dressed in vinaigrette. Also very good, with some extra chunks of crab thrown on top as a garnish.

I had one of the desserts that is always on the menu - the banana pudding - and it was awesome. Nilla wafters, some whipped cream and a custardy banana pudding in a large ramekin. It was definitely a dessert sized to split. The permanent dessert menu also has homemade donuts on it. It was very hard not to order those as well!

There were specials for appetizer, salad, a couple entrees and several seasonal desserts. I look forward to going back and trying those. They sounded amazing, but I only have one stomach.

Service was very attentive, which is nice when you come in with a young child, as their needs seem to change by the minute! Our drinks were never empty and the food came out at a good speed. We had the kid's entree out quickly so my slowpoke of a son could get to work.

We talked on the way home about how our other area haunts are now going to have to up their game if they want to compete with Toast. It will be our first choice to go out to dinner in the area with our without my son.

I highly recommend giving it a try. Let's keep this place in business!

• Visited December 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Optimistic after first visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I met a friend after work earlier this week for our first visit to Toast. We both enjoyed it. Toast is a gastropub, and they offer wine on tap, but we were there for the grub.
I had a cup of potato soup, which was good but not great. I thoroughly enjoyed the Thai salad. My friend shared her guacamole, and it was chunky & spicy. She also tried the polenta corndogs, which are listed as an appetizer, but with two jumbo polenta-encusted dogs could easily be your meal, but may be a challenging nibbler for a group.
The Thai salad had chicken breast thin-sliced like grillades, edamame (lots!) with crispy rice noodles, and a very good wasabi ginger vinaigrette. I would definitely order it again. The brunch menu looked inviting, too.
The previous restaurant here started out with a bang, but the quality deteriorated. If Toast keeps its focus on reliable & interesting food, beverage, and good service, it should have a bright future.

• Visited November 2012