“COOL PLACE TO STAY” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Massad House Hotel

The Massad House Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Richmond
Save Saved
You added The Massad House Hotel to your Saves list
11 North 4th Street, Richmond, VA 23219   |
Ranked #54 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Vanderbilt
“COOL PLACE TO STAY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I am an artist and recently stayed at this hotel during a festival they had downtown....I was looking for a nice in-expensive quaint place to stay. I guess the economy had something to do with it...but I am a starving artist after all....All the hotels I called were way...( I mean "way" ), out of my price range for where I wanted to stay. I needed something close to the festival, as most of my traveling would be by foot. The little money I had wasn't going to be spent on a taxi.

This was a cool place to stay. The people were great it was close to all downtown activities and it had a great place to eat next door.

I would recommend anyone looking for a place in downtown to come this hotel. Its cool, comfortable, European style, trendy and you can not beat the price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Stamford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

We chose the Massad House based on a recommendation in Lonely Planet, even though the hotel does not have a website and we weren't able to see any pictures of the property. BIG mistake. First, the good-- the front desk clerk was very friendly, and the room was pretty clean. Now, the bad-- the hotel looks like it has not been renovated for 30+ years, complete with an old fashioned elevator with 2 manual doors. Half the time someone left one of the doors open on another floor and it never arrived. Even though our room was supposedly on a non-smoking floor, there was an ashtray right outside our door and the towels (which were the size of hand towels and threadbare and scratchy), the rug, and the bedding in the room all smelled of smoke.
Also, there were a number of people walking around the hotel at all hours of the day and night that appeared to be living there. Guests have to ring a buzzer to get into the hotel, and when we returned from dinner we stood outside in the cold for 5 minutes ringing it until one of the hotel's seeming residents saw us through the window, got the clerk, and he let us in. The street was deserted at night, and it did not feel safe standing out there waiting to be buzzed in.
They advertise that they have the lowest rates in downtown Richmond, but this hotel is not worth the $96 a night they charge, and you can easily stay in a nice, clean, updated hotel for a few dollars more a night. I hate to write a negative review because as I said, it was clean and the clerk was very nice... but I really wish someone had been honest about it sooner so we hadn't wasted a night of our vacation here.

Stayed November 2008
massad, Public Relation Manager at The Massad House Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
We here at The Massad House Hotel want
to express our appologies for any
inconvience you may have experienced during your stay here at the hotel. Since your last stay, the hotel has recently gone under new management and has been completely
been renovated. All hotels in the downtown
area lock there doors after 12:00 a.m. so
the quest can feel a since of security. Our
prices has changed since your last stay. We
do advertise and offer the lowest prices in
downtown Richmond. We are currently
updating our website and making positive
change to assure our guest have feel at
home while staying here at The Massad
House Hotel. Please email me at your
next visit to Richmond, so we can discuss your accomadations.

Ron Ellis
Public Relations Manager
ronellis3@verizon.net
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

We stayed at the MHH in March 2008. I'd booked a "suite" as there were three of us and did so directly with the property, as their website was not working and they don't seem to be listed with any of the online providers.

It's hard to say whether this was a good or bad stay as there seemed to be a strange mix of good and bad features. I'll start with the negative ones: The whole hotel smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. In Virginia it's still OK to smoke in public places, including hotels and restaurants, and the residents and staff seem to make liberal use of this. Our "suite" was evidently a smoking room and the ashtray had hardly been wiped out - you could still see traces of the ash from a previous resident. We were told right away that the remote for the TV was broken but that it would be replaced the next morning. No biggie - we weren't there to watch TV. The room itself consisted of a small double room with a double (queen) bed plus another similarly sized room with two singles. The decor was absolutely dreadful throughout. Light came through a plastic panel in the ceiling (strip lighting), the walls were pained a stark salmon colour and the blinds looked like a carpet rolled up. The small bathroom had a carpet floor which looked stained. The mattress on the double bed, which was so high we had to climb up onto it, still had its plastic cover on it so every time we moved the whole thing crackled. There was a sheet under the polyester day cover but no blanket, so we were forced to cover up with the day cover, which I always think is a bit disgusting. The lamp in the bathroom broke while we were getting ready to go out, so we had to continue our ablutions in the dark since the front desk had no access to light bulbs. The bedside lamp was not plugged in - this was due to the fact that there was no power socket near the bed. So to avoid the strip lighting we had to carry the lamp over to the other side of the room and put it on the floor to plug it in. The door to the room did not close securely - while you could lock it in some way, it felt very flimsy and a well aimed kick would have certainly opened it. The front desk is up a few steep steps so if you have heavy luggage this is a problem.

Now for the good parts. Check in was very friendly and we were told where to park the car safely (in the lot across the road). The location is pretty good - it's downtown on 4th St, which is probably more handy for business travellers than tourists. We had to drive down to Shockoe Bottom for dinner and it's also not close to the historic districts (but handy for the Capitol and Confederate Museum). The room, dreadful though it may have appeared, was clean. We needed a third set of towels which was ready for us when we returned from dinner that night. The hotel has a charming (some might say outdated) elevator with a grille that you have to pull open and shut. Checkout next morning was no problem either; that said, no apologies were offered for the fact that there had been no light in the bathroom.

Altogether I would not stay here again, as the overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke is not something I would want to subject myself to. If you've no problem with that (and presumably a ban will be put in place at some point), and can handle the appearance and decor, then this could be a viable option.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smell, decor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

Excellent attention, nice, clean and very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Massad House Hotel? Share your experiences!