“Horrible experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Massad House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Richmond
The Massad House Hotel
11 North 4th Street, Richmond, VA 23219   |
Ranked #56 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My friend and I reserved this hotel in advance online because of the location. The entire place smells of smoke and mold. Very old and not kept up well. To get up to our room, we were shown to a 2x2 unventalated elevator. Room was extremely small and bathroom no more than a closet. The hotel would not refund any of our money.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Friendly communications online, made it easy for 3 of us to get the accommodations we wanted. Upon arrival all staff members we encountered on various shifts were very friendly and helpful. The Hotel is a bit older, but very well located and very well priced next to similar options nearby. Only a few blocks from the State Capitol, and right by a few good watering holes like Penny Lane and the Capitol.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

This one of the worst places I've ever stayed for a hotel. When I finished taking my shower and reached for the towel; snatched it off the towel rack, I was met by roaches. All night roaches crept on the rug, the bathtub, my toothpaste tube, toothbrush and everything else. The comforter itself was infested with cigarette smoke as well as the sheets and the bed itself. A very horrible experience and I wouldn't recommend anyone give them your business. When I asked the manager for assistance, he ignored me like I had the plague because I was sharing with him how NASTY that establishment was. Not to mention they charge extra for the air conditioning (which is a window unit); extra for the microwave and refrigerator as well. How can any hotel do something such as that-it was truly a tradegy to stay in such a place as that-PLEASE DON'T EVER STAY THERE! I beg of you...SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!! I have also written the the board of health about this particular hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I don't meet to be mean to the hotel. The employees are great and very welcoming. Nonetheless, I the hotel is not very clean, the rooms are narrow, and it smells smoke everywere. There are signs forbitting smoking but I don't believe the rule is reinforced. I believe it they can do something about the smoking and renew some of there equipments they can have better success.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

I went to Richmond to run the Suntrust Richmond Marathon in November 2009. I'd been lazy about getting rooms at the downtown hotels and found this one on Google maps (the hotel doesn't have a website). While the other hotels had been charging triple digit figures with minimum 2-night stays (as reported via promotional e-mails), this place charged me less than $80 for one night. The negative reviews are curious -- I really didn't experience any of the negatives.

Pros:
--The staff are incredibly friendly.
--My room was HUGE -- it was a bedroom (complete with 4-poster bed), separate living rooom, and bathoom.
--I was right downtown, maybe 4 blocks from the starting line, and even closer to the finish.
--Parking the night before was easy -- I parked across the street, and could see my car from my room.
--The elevator is an old-style "gate" elevator. You open a door, then open the gate, close both, and off you go. It is small, but when I stayed in a hotel in Chicago that had the same elevator, it was considered "chic" and "rustic." Not sure why the negative reviews are so upset over it.
--The room was clean, and while I did detect old cigarette smells in the LOBBY, I didn't detect any in my room. Out of paranoia, I cracked a window open for fresh air, but eventually closed it because it was cold. I never did have any cigarette smell.
--The area downtown the night before the race was mixed -- there are SOME places to eat, but take a wrong turn, and you're by a check-cashing place, and a mini-mart. No biggie. I just walked the next block, and ate at the huge Hilton Sports Bar. Walked back to my room for some rest the night before the race.

Cons:
--The bed was nice and firm, which I love, but there was no fitted sheet. It was simply another topsheet tucked into the mattress, so you're between 2 topsheets. So you're not actually touching the mattress, which is nice, but the topsheet won't always stay put while you sleep.

--The heating system is the old "pipes/radiator" thing. You turn a knob to allow more/less heat into the room, and both my bedroom and living room had them. If you're unfamiliar with that, it could be problematic.

--My (huge) room was near the elevator, which was on the loud side in the morning, but since I had to be up early anyway, I really didn't mind. I don't recall being awoken by it during the night. But it's something to keep in mind if you're not wanting to get up early.

Anyway, on balance, if I run Richmond again, I'd stay in this hotel again. It's a comfortable, modest place that isn't a big-chain hotel, but it's quite nice for a short stay, and is a great value.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Vanderbilt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

I am an artist and recently stayed at this hotel during a festival they had downtown....I was looking for a nice in-expensive quaint place to stay. I guess the economy had something to do with it...but I am a starving artist after all....All the hotels I called were way...( I mean "way" ), out of my price range for where I wanted to stay. I needed something close to the festival, as most of my traveling would be by foot. The little money I had wasn't going to be spent on a taxi.

This was a cool place to stay. The people were great it was close to all downtown activities and it had a great place to eat next door.

I would recommend anyone looking for a place in downtown to come this hotel. Its cool, comfortable, European style, trendy and you can not beat the price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Stamford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

We chose the Massad House based on a recommendation in Lonely Planet, even though the hotel does not have a website and we weren't able to see any pictures of the property. BIG mistake. First, the good-- the front desk clerk was very friendly, and the room was pretty clean. Now, the bad-- the hotel looks like it has not been renovated for 30+ years, complete with an old fashioned elevator with 2 manual doors. Half the time someone left one of the doors open on another floor and it never arrived. Even though our room was supposedly on a non-smoking floor, there was an ashtray right outside our door and the towels (which were the size of hand towels and threadbare and scratchy), the rug, and the bedding in the room all smelled of smoke.
Also, there were a number of people walking around the hotel at all hours of the day and night that appeared to be living there. Guests have to ring a buzzer to get into the hotel, and when we returned from dinner we stood outside in the cold for 5 minutes ringing it until one of the hotel's seeming residents saw us through the window, got the clerk, and he let us in. The street was deserted at night, and it did not feel safe standing out there waiting to be buzzed in.
They advertise that they have the lowest rates in downtown Richmond, but this hotel is not worth the $96 a night they charge, and you can easily stay in a nice, clean, updated hotel for a few dollars more a night. I hate to write a negative review because as I said, it was clean and the clerk was very nice... but I really wish someone had been honest about it sooner so we hadn't wasted a night of our vacation here.

Stayed November 2008
massad, Public Relation Manager at The Massad House Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
We here at The Massad House Hotel want
to express our appologies for any
inconvience you may have experienced during your stay here at the hotel. Since your last stay, the hotel has recently gone under new management and has been completely
been renovated. All hotels in the downtown
area lock there doors after 12:00 a.m. so
the quest can feel a since of security. Our
prices has changed since your last stay. We
do advertise and offer the lowest prices in
downtown Richmond. We are currently
updating our website and making positive
change to assure our guest have feel at
home while staying here at The Massad
House Hotel. Please email me at your
next visit to Richmond, so we can discuss your accomadations.

Ron Ellis
The Massad House Hotel
Public Relations Manager
ronellis3@verizon.net

Been to The Massad House Hotel? Share your experiences!