“Nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel

You added Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6531 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23230 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Richmond West)   |
Ranked #68 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Maryland
“Nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

We stayed here only one night and I was very satisfied. The staff was polite and the hotel was nice and clean. The indoor pool was great and the fitness center was accessible twenty four hours. This is a great family hotel. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Liked — The Sleep Advantage Program
  • Disliked — My door was constantly being knocked on for check out. Check out is at noon but the knocking started at 10am
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Raleigh,NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

We booked this 3-star hotel in West Richmont (Glen Allen) for $54 for a Saturday night. We booked via Hotwire, instead of trying Priceline due to having a child with us, so we needed to be assured of two beds. After a very very very hot day at Kings Dominion, we drove the 20 or so miles to this easy-to-find hotel, where parking was easy, and check-in was friendly and quick. This is an older hotel...my guess is it was something else before it was a Crowne Plaza, as it does have more of a motel-type feel. However, it's not a motel, in the sense that rooms are accessed indoors, rather than outdoors. We were assigned a room on the 2nd floor, and told to go down the hall to the second set of elevators (set, meaning ONE...my son remarked that it was an "old elevator"). Our room was perfectly acceptable. Two double beds with lots of pillows. Our view was of the parking lot and Home Depot, but I don't think anyone would have a better view, as there is nothing near the hotel, other than a convention center, a bowling alley across the street, and some restaurant chains nearby. This room, like other Crowne Plazas, comes with the relaxation CD, earplugs, spray, etc. A very nice touch.
We attempted to access the pay-for-view movies in our room and couldn't make it work, so we called the front desk. We were told they were having some problems and would call us back, which she did very quickly. It was fixed, however, we couldn't find a movie we wanted to watch. (not their fault). We decided to go get dessert in the hotel restaurant around 9pm. This was a Saturday night and there was no one else in the entire restaurant or bar. Oh well. Their loss. We enjoyed an excellent tiramissu, chocolate lava cake....beautifully presented and served. And not the least bit expensive. The whole restaurant is lovely and deserved to be packed!
After a good night's sleep, we discovered we didn't have any shampoo, despite having a shower cap, lotion, conditioner, etc. Oh well, a simple oversight, I'm sure. We're creative, we can make do. We also could've called the front desk, and I'm sure they would have brought us some, but we were too close to check-out time to ask.
There was a church convention in the hotel this weekend. It became pretty noisy late at night, but not bad. And thanks to the comfy bed and pillows, it was easy to get back to sleep.
Checking out Sunday morning, the front desk could not have been any friendlier.
For the price we paid, this hotel was well worth it!

• Liked — Very Friendly Staff!
  • Disliked — Older-more motel-like feeling to the place
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

I thought this was a nice hotel for only $79. The down beds were comfortable, the staff friendly, and overall it was very clean. I wished there was a breakfast buffet, but it is easy to get to the Denny's across the street. I'd stay there again!

Stayed June 2007
Lancaster, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Buckhead/Atlanta and it was wonderful. Not this one. The bathroom was worn out - dirty, with an exhaust fan so loud we actually tried to fix ourselves. I had the children wear their shoes at all times - just filthy. The hallways were also dirty and the chrome of the elevator was sticky and gooey with actual mystery stuff spilled all over it. Needless to say, we did not eat breakfast at the hotel the next morning - we didn't feel comfortable based on the cleanliness of the rest of the building. On a brighter note, everyone who worked at the hotel was very nice.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — Filthy - all of it
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
NOVA, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2007

I booked my stay at the Crowne Plaza West, the last Tuesday in March through Priceline for $79. I was on a business trip and stayed for one night. The location is off Broad Street which is a main street through Richmond and is very close to I-64. The hotel is about 10 min's away from downtown (depending what route you take). Upon my arrival check-in was fairly quick. Though there were 4 people behind the desk, it took about a minute for one to offer help. One lady offered help and as I approached to check-in the phone rang and she answered it. Which I found very rude (why ask to offer help if you decide to answer the phone-and not even excuse yourself?). Another gentleman offered to help and quickly checked me in. As we walked to our room I quickly noticed a foul smell. It was very strong and horrific. As we entered our room, the first thing I noticed was a stool beside the TV. It was covered in stains. In the room there was an awful odor as well. As I looked around the room, everything else was clean and orderly. I couldn't deny the stench anymore, and called the front desk and asked to be moved. As I made the call, I noticed an ash tray on the table which explained the horrible smell. The front desk was quick and accomodating to make the change. Our next room was clean and odor free. I did not use any the facilities on the property so I have no comment. The next morning we did have breakfast and it was very nice. The hotel staff were great and I recommend this hotel for business travelers and the non-smoking rooms.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Given a smoking room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2007

We stayed 1 night @ this hotel for leisure.The staff was friendly,attentive,and professional and we had a slightly early check-in.The location was good for our needs.We did not use the pool,fitness,or restaurant so can't comment on that.There are several restaurants in either direction of the hotel and a Denny's across the street.There is not a separate charge for internet access and parking.They were doing some parking renovation while we were there,but was not an inconvenience for us.We were awakened @ 3am by the radio next door and I called the desk to find out if the room was occupied and it wasn't so I asked them to turn off the radio and they promptly did so.I don't know if it was excessively loud or the walls are thin.Nice touch-hot chocolate was available in the lobby on our arrival evening.Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable with many pillows.We stayed @ this hotel the 1st wk.in March.
We would stay here again if we needed to be in that part of Richmond.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2006

I will never stay at a Crowne Plaza Hotel again (that's bad considering that this was my first time there) because of my experience here in West Richmond. The carpet in the main hallway was not level, so someone could possibly trip and fall. The elevators were questionable. It bounced and I did not feel safe riding them. The hallways smelled mildewy and my bedroom had a stale order. The skirt on my bed was ripped/torn. The refrigerator was old and I would not put anything in there if my life depended on it.

My best friend had an asthma attack as soon as she entered the room because of the dust build up there. The staff tried to appease us, but to no avail because that hotel should be rebuilt from the ground up. The furniture was marked up and old looking.

My best friend and I could not stay at the Crowne Plaza Richmond West because of her dust allergies. I requested and received a refund by writing a letter to the Better Business Bureau of Richmond.

I wish that I would have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Hotel across the street. I walked into the Courtyard to see if any rooms were available, but there was a marathon this weekend and all the area hotels were booked solid. My friend and I ended up driving back home, because we had no place to stay. We were so inconvenienced.

I usually stay at the Courtyard Marriott whenever I travel, but I wanted to try something different for this trip...and look where it got me. Empty handed!

• Liked — The hotel staff was polite and tried to accomodate me, but the hotel was too shabby.
  • Disliked — This is an old hotel and it should be demolished.
  • Tips/Secrets — DO NOT STAY AT THE CROWN PLAZA RICHMOND WEST!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!