“Where were the pictures taken? Not in our room!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6531 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23230 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Richmond West)   |
Ranked #72 of 81 hotels in Richmond
“Where were the pictures taken? Not in our room!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We came here based on reviews and the pictures on the hotel website. 1) Grand is a misleading title. We must have been booked in the rooms where pictures weren't taken. 2) Our room was very dated, poor water pressure in shower and very noisy air conditioner. 3) interior of elevators were in desperate need of a cleaning and our floor's hallway smelled damp and also in need of a deep carpet shampooing. There must be a special set of rooms where those that wrote better reviews stayed. 4) Front desk staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Ed G,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel.Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Clean rooms and bathrooms, fabulous price, hotel is centrally located to everything. Front desk staff members were very nice. All things considered, a delightful weekend in Richmond. We didn't use the pool, so we can't comment. A good value for the price!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

stayed here 3 times in the past few months. staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms were
clean, and the hotel is located close to stores and restaurants. It also as a pool and hot tub
which is great for bringing your family and kids to enjoy while away at work. I had a issue with the
cable but as soon as i called down to the front desk the staff had it taken care of right away
so i have no complaints and i would recommend anyone to stay here

Room Tip: I would recommend sleeping on the 5th floor, not alot of noise and very quite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lynchburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

POOR POOR Customer Service- Smelly, very poor maintenance- where are the shampooers and vacuums?
I booked this hotel 10/17/13 from online (not from Trip Advisor) based on the basic rating of 3 and for the cost.
Did not know the ratings were skewed by the online company.
To begin- from the moment I drove into the parking area I wondered if the place was abandoned due to the High grass, trash and overall lack of maintenance. Giving the benefit of the doubt I proceeded to check-in. The front door windows were dirty, the entrance rugs were filthy (not raining) and the lobby smell was uninviting. The lobby ceiling had cracks and showed evidence of a water leak.

Once I did speak with the front desk clerk (she was very unfriendly) after waiting 10 mins. NOT Checking-In- I asked for a REFUND. She stated I was 15mins too late and could not receive a refund- I needed to speak to a manager. Waited another 10-15 mins for the manager to return to work. Asked for a refund. I was told I needed to call the Online agent for a refund or credit but I was too late to receive a refund from their end. I explained to the manager that I would need to call the Richmond City Code Enforcement to inspect the hotel for violations. The manager stated that he did not care if I called President Obama, I was not getting a refund...Nasty character!!!.
Being that I was in Richmond on business I was not prepared to pay for another hotel.,,but I went looking anyway, hoping to find another hotel I could afford. I had to end up going back to that RAT HOLE!! It does not matter how much a hotel cost when it comes to cleanliness and customer service... there is no excuse for poor management on any level. I could write for an hour on my horrible experience. The customer photos currently posted are TRUE!!! DO NOT spend a dime on this place. The Airport chairs or a campground would be nicer. To be honest the beds were ok. the rest is a NO!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear d2yadah,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here a few weeks ago for University of Richmond family weekend. It was on the list provided by the school, and cost the least. It also had an indoor pool, so I booked two nights. Oh boy....my mattress sagged, the pool was freezing, the hot tub was broken, and there were no towels at the pool. The place could be nice, but it is run down, not very clean, and a bit dated. It is a shame, because the location is good, and the place could, with a bit of work, be really nice.The only people saw working there were behind the front desk. They were nice if you talked to them, but not outgoing by any means.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Linda B,

Ames, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My family and I spent 2 nights here in 4 different rooms. There was a lot of confusion with the same last name, staggered arrivals, and new staff training at the hotel. But at checkout, the hotel insisted we had stayed in 5 rooms. After a lengthy discussion, they agreed it was only 4 and refunded the overpayment. But then after we were gone, they reapplied the overcharge!

We have contacted the hotel multiple times to resolve the issue, they are not interested in making it right. Avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel are better than rooms in this one!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

After reading the reviews here I called with concerns because I am attending a conference here. The young lady that answered the phone, Ashley, was very helpful and addressed my concerns the best way she could. I called back when I noticed that the rate had dropped $29 for the nights I was staying, and different lady answered and was resistant to help. When I told her that I had concerns because of what was posted in words, details, and pictures on the website just this month, she told me about the inspection certificate from Henrico County received and posted. I asked her if I could read a review to her, and she said no and hung up the phone! Not only that but I tried to call back and no one answered. I contacted the closest reputable and clean hotel where I had stayed before (The Westin) and the manager was aware of issues at the Magnuson. He was very sympathetic, and even though they were booked for one of my nights, he suggested that I contact the Hampton Inn (a couple of blocks away) for a room. He also told me to check back tomorrow for cancellation for Friday night and he would get me in. The Hampton Inn manager gave me more background on his experience with the Magnuson and was gracious in accommodating me. He has had issues contacting management there as well. I have never had such an experience with a hotel, and Richmond chain hotels tend to be reputable, clean, and friendly - low to high-end. I will NOT stay at the Magnuson Grand, because I fear the only thing grand going on here is consumer deception. Check the pictures from other visitors. Only the nice front desk person, Ashley, and the fact that I have not seen the place (I will Thursday) allows me to give this a "Poor" instead of "Terrible" rating. If I find anything different after the three day conference, I will update my post.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!