“Bargain in the heart of Richmond” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel

You added Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6531 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23230 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Richmond West)   |
Ranked #68 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
“Bargain in the heart of Richmond”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We were at this hotel for the NASCAR event for a couple of nights. Great hotel for the price we paid. We only booked three days before the event. Nice bar and hot breakfast buffet. Coming back in September for the races! What a deal for a full service hotel!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
P
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Would not recommend this place for any function that has to be served food and has to have rooms setup. We had to set them up ourselves, dirty glasses were being put on the table we mention and they only wiped them out, broken ones were also on tables. Butter paddies were just dropped on tables, no rolls plates, very slow for food, not what we agreed on. Some food cold, some food under cooked, children and maintence man setting and serving . Apond helping to get our group of 136 feed, we offer to help out, kitchen has clutter, old lamps, only two people fixing food, one didn't have on gloves, only three servers, young boy dropped ice on table and them bare handed pick it up and put in a glass. Main problem they chain lock the doors by the meeting space which is also a door people can go in and out of. Emergency exit sign is over the door.
Rooms outdated, elevator works off and on, smells, offer buffet but was not open.
Front staff very helpful but that doesn't help when you have a large group.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear H C,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I assure you we have analyzed the previous problems and made the necessary changes to improve the quality of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We found this on our way to dc. Right of the freeway. Great welcoming hotel and lobby. We were given a room on the 2nd floor. Extremely spacious and clean. There was everything we needed. Even had a great indoor pool with a 8ft depth!. This place truly is a hidden gem especially at the really low rate we were given. Breakfast was also a great value. This has gotta be one of the best full service hotels we've visited. Would be stopping again on our way back!

• Stayed May 2013
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Under New Management? Great right? The Former Crowne Plaza West has changed guards.SO, reNEWal means new start, right? Out with the old and rebirth of fresh new better service and value is the immediate expectation, right? But No. New Management at Magnuson Grand got this thing wrong - VERY wrong. Prior to even arriving in town,I phoned on 2 seperate occasions (twice) to reconfirm. Once, the the phone rang out indefinitely with no answer at all. The 2nd call (2 days later) rang out almost as long before an exapserated voice finally answered and assisted. On arrival, more of the same awful customer service persisted as only ONE guest receptionist was on hand to check in ENTIRE Busloads of arriving guests.Where's that Mgr.you ask? Not only was he not available, He was not even in the Building at all!! These dates were fully booked several months prior!. Also unsuccessful to connect to internet in the biz center. I thought to ask front desk reception to assist but afraid she was still busy checking in 200 remaining guests all by herself! One rear elevator was broken the entire weekend. The experience was unforgettable, And this was NOT a good thing! Horrible torturous experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear DERRICK M,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was a guest at the Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel on March 20th, 2013. I was there to attend a conference that was being held there the following day. The hotel smelled like mold and was very dingy. The room I stayed in did not have working heat. I was freezing! I had the heat turned all the way up to 90 and at 2AM the room was still 50 degrees. I called the front desk and all they did was come up and mess with the thermostat a little and then left. I asked them for another room or at least for a blanket, neither of which they could accommodate me with, as the owner of the hotel was sleeping. I think I only had about 2 hours sleep. At 6AM the temperature of the room had only risen to 62. I addressed the GM and the Manager about this situation, and they assured me that they would compensate me for the room, there would be no charge. Not only did they charge me for the room, they put the charge on my personal card, instead of the company card that was provided when the reservation was made. I have been trying to contact the manager and the GM since that date and have had no response for either. The front desk person advised me she was looking for another job, there was nothing she could do and she advised me to contact Magnuson’s corporate offices. I have had no response from them either. I have called them twice since I was advised to call them. This is the worst run hotel I have ever stayed in. I would advise anyone who is thinking of staying here to go somewhere, ANYWHERE, else!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Business Tripper72,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Manuson Grand purchased the hotel from Crown Plaza and since has not lived up to what they sell, after 30 years of traveling this was probably the worst experience I've ever had, cold food, not staffed properly to take care of customers, chained outer doors because locks don't work, not swept or cleaned. Find another hotel

Room Tip: Get another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear 406DennisW,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

It had bed bugs, pee stains on the sheets, hair on the sheets, dirty bathrooms, the windows were dirty, the showers, the walls were, and the lights went out. The worsy hotel I have ever been in. It was horrible I recommend that no one ever go to that hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear tiyte,

Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!