“Much better than reviews suggest but NOT Crowne Plaza standard.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel

You added Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6531 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23230 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Richmond West)   |
Ranked #72 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
London, United Kingdom
“Much better than reviews suggest but NOT Crowne Plaza standard.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is much better from my experience of three night stay than some reviews would lead you to believe. However, the hotel is tired and needs freshening up. My room was clean and comfortable. But it felt as tho' this was a lower grade hotel where they had simply added a few items to class it as a Crowne Plaza hotel. Certainly disappointing compared to any other Crowne Plaza I have stayed in. Oh....if communications are important, television badly needs updating and advertised hi speed internet crawls along at below 1mb, had to go out to coffee shop to download. Conclusion, if you can get a good price it might be worth staying otherwise I suggest you look elsewhere.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear sas600,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am happy to know that you found our room accommodations good enough for your stay. Please accept my sincerest apology if you found your stay less than satisfactory due to the television and Internet connection not working as expected. I have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Pam G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Richmond West 1 night on 9/14/2012. Well the front desk manager was nice, but that's as good as it gets. We were placed in a room on the 4th floor and advised to use the elevators at the 2nd entrance. Upon walking , it was apparent this hotel was in need of an overhaul. The elevators were literally scary going up to the room , I felt like they were going to get stuck at any moment. Upon getting off the elevator, the corridors were very dated , and the the doors to the rooms were scratched , in need of cosmetic makeover. The room was large and spacious , but no flat screen tv, dust on the nightstand, old worn out carpet, cracked sink in the bathroom , a shower that needed to be replaced. This property at one point in time I am sure was nice, but it needs to be completely overhauled to bring it up to date with todays standards of what a crown plaza should be. If you can find somewhere else to stay in the area i recommend the westin a block away , or the courtyard across the street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear bking406,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are delighted to know that you appreciate the front desk manager and the quality of service provided. On the other hand, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced over the elevator and some of the room amenities. Thank you for bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.
Hempstead, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed here as part of a pretty large bus group for the Richmond race. That said it should be noted that I can't speak for the "value" of the hotel, as the room was booked by and paid for by the bus company.

As the race got over late, we arrived around 2am, and the night staff had everything ready for us, however only the bus driver seemed to matter for them to greet as we walked into the hotel as myself and other members of the group walked by the front desk without a single welcoming message from the staff. Sure, the bus driver represents the company that paid for these rooms, but I suggest hotel management tells their staff that each passenger on a bus group represents an opportunity to impress or future business. We all have real life jobs and could just represent a company/account you would like to have. Or we just simply be someone who's not afraid to post TripAdvisor reviews.

After waiting for the awful elevators for a long time, several of us decided to simply use the stairs to get to our rooms. When I read the other reviews here before the trip to get an idea on what to expect, I thought "how bad can the elevators really be?" They are really that bad. Wow.

The room itself is older but pretty good. The size was pretty nice, but there were hairs in the shower stall. Nothing big, but after training the front desk to welcome bus passengers, perhaps tell the housekeepers to look to their right and up near the top of the shower stall. On the positive side, I would have been impressed by the number of electrical outlets in the room. Some hotels just don't get it, but this hotel would be good in that regard for a business traveler who was bringing a lot of equipment with them.

The breakfast was pretty good though pretty standard.

I could stay here again, but if in the area again, I will probably pursue other options.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
rpeters69, Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear kristen2514,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with your stay with us. We are currently under new management and are making the necessary changes to improve the quality and customer service at the Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel. I assure you we have analyzed the previous problems and made the necessary changes to improve the quality of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Bloomington, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Very friendly front desk manager was only bright spot of this stay. Carpets are dirty throughout this large and mostly empty facility. Not only are they dirty because they need a real cleaning, they don't even appear to have been regularly vacuumed. Upholstery stained and dirty in my room. Solicitous front desk manager up-graded me at check-in to a suite. Unfortunately, it appears a suite only means extra of the same run-down space. No consierge lounge at the facility. Got a free breakfast buffett coupon at check-in -- problem is they don't have a breakfast buffett. Sorry no buffett, but yes you could order a free breakfast. I just didn't have the time. One major virtue of the buffett for me is I don't have to wait 10 to 20 mins for my food. I can eat and leave in less time than I can give you my order. If staying in Richmond you ought to be able to fine a better place.

Room Tip: Check around for another lodging facility
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
rpeters69, General Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Jordan C,

Robert G. Peters
Richmond Grand Magnuson Hotel
Salem, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Richmond West during a recent visit to Richmond. All I can say, is that this is not an example of a typical Crowne Plaza Hotel. The front desk staff was nice enough, but that is about all the good I can say for this hotel. The carpet throughout the hotel is stained and looks awful. My room was very dark and smelled like an ash tray. The A/C was set as low as it would go (65 degrees). However, it felt like it never got below 80 degrees in the room. The worst thing by far had to be that the comforters on both beds had blood stains on them. This is completely unacceptable in a supposed Crowne Plaza Hotel. The bathroom had paint chips coming off the ceiling and the shower curtain had stains all over it. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. This place needs a lot of work.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Elkton, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The positive. Desk clerks were friendly and welcoming both on arrival and departure. Housekeeping staff helpful and polite. Beds were made with very nice linens, and 4 very fluffy pillows. Individual thermostat, AC worked very well. Bedroom area well cleaned and maintained.

The negatives. On check in, requested a room with a fridge, was told, no rooms available with one, but one could be added for 10$ a night, on a 3 night stay.. no thanks. Thankfully we brought a cooler with us and there was an ice machine close to the room. The bathroom was a disaster in this room, I wish I had brought a camera. Peeling ceiling, lint all over ceiling were the vent blows out, the shower curtain rod not properly installed, curtain will not stay shut so the floor gets wet, shower walls obviously need a good scrubbing with a degreaser, the toilet tank lid does not properly fit, so when you sit it moves, to flush you have to hold down the handle, by the time we left our family had a joke about how long you had to hold the handle to get the toilet to flush. Some really bad patching on the wall behind the toilet, which will only get worse until the curtain is fixed. Room was tiny, 2 double beds and you could not fit a roll away in there if you tried. Closet only big enough to hang a few shirts and pants. The indoor pool, fairly big and 3-8 feet deep I did like that, except.... the floor around the pool in desperate need of pressure washing or even a good deck brush.. ring around the pool yuck (needs a good scrub)... water strong of chlorine (thankful for that even though it irritated our eyes) kids did enjoy the pool. The spa/hot tub YUCK!!!! First night a little cloudy, second looked like a tub of pee, could not even see the steps. GROSS!! Day 3 looked better but still not anything anyone would want to enjoy. Also in need of a very good scrub. The elevators are the worst I have ever been in.

No coffee, no breakfast, over priced room service... Restaurant closed early one night, husband was very upset about that. Location is not great either. I would not stay here again. I have stayed in some hotels with bad reviews before, and a lot of times have felt people were nit picking.. Not in this case. Spend a little more or a little less and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Katie B,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and providing feedback. I'm delighted you were pleased with our clean bedrooms, pillows and helpful front desk staff as we pride ourselves in excellent customer service. However, please do accept our apologies for not being able to deliver an exemplary service in some aspects of our hotel features. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced with the condition of the bathroom, pool, elevator and services received at the restaurant. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. I do hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Zelyn N
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Not a good choice. Main problem is the nickel and diming for everything other than the room. Fridge and microwave? Extra. Breakfast? Extra. Special amenities? Nope. Nothing special about this place at all. Will be aware of this place if I return. Book something else and save your disappointment

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Richmond Magnuson Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!