“A window to the past” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 163 things to do in Richmond
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Maymont is a 100-acre American estate, an extraordinary gift given to us by James and Sallie Dooley who lived here from 1893 to 1925. Whether strolling in the gardens, touring the mansion or watching river otters play, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Killeen, Texas
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“A window to the past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stumbled upon Maymont passing through Richmond, VA. Our visit was in January 2013, so the gardens were dorment and we didn't walk the grounds at all. They suggest a $5 donation to enter the home and it is one of the best old homes I've toured, well worth $5! The highlights include 90% if the furniture and things in the home are original. There are some breathtaking furniture pieces here and the stained glass windows in the main entry are spectacular Tiffany designs. Also the basement area displayes the servents quarters and workstations. Typically, you never see the inner workings of a historic home, so this was very interesting! The house tour was only 30 min long, I could have stayed there much longer looking at everything! We will have to visit again in the spring or summer to see the groungs.

Charlottesville, Virginia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“what a wonderful place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have lived in Virginia for 2 decades and always heard about Maymont but never visited. We happened to be in Richmond on a beautiful winter day and decided to go to Maymont. I was pleasantly surprised. This is a great park in the middle of the city. Farm animals, beautiful landscaping, many childrens activities. I did not visit the house but will on my next visit.

Annandale, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great place to take a long walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This park has over 100 acres. There is a variety of animals to see and and old farm house from the 1800s. Well worth a visit.

New Jersey
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Breathtaking, but no photos allowed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We were on a private tour of the house and grounds,The gardens, particularly the Japanese Garden was the best I have seen. I was annoyed that they had no book for sale, yet no photos were allowed.

Visited December 2012
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“One of my favorite places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I love Maymont. It's a wonderful place for a long walk up and down the hills, or just for a stroll around the house to educate yourself about the many trees populating the expansive grounds. Over twenty years ago, my children clambered over the roots of trees clinging to the embankment above the bear enclave, and played hide-and-seek in the bamboo "forest" in the Japanese Garden. Children still play in both areas, as well as enjoy running freely on the many open grassy areas of the park. There is something for everyone of every age at Maymont. Take a look at the website to get an idea of what peaks your interest.

Visited January 2013

Been to Maymont? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Maymont, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.