“Good cupcakes, high prices.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #45 of 1,373 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Bakery
“Good cupcakes, high prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I bought a mixed dozen of cupcakes for $30. To me, $2.50 for a single cupcake is fine, but once you buy a dozen, I feel like the price should drop to $2 a cupcake. Pricing aside, I found that the cake was a little dense, but combined with the icing the flavor was great. The cake-to-icing ratio was perfect (but I like more frosting than less) and I found the overall flavor to be good. The selection, in my humble opinion, was a little lacking - it seems like a majority of the standard (meaning excluding GF and vegan) cupcakes are just a mix of chocolate and vanilla (chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, vanilla with vanilla, vanilla with chocolate, chocolate with vanilla, etc.). I would have liked to see a greater variety. I also didn't feel that the atmosphere was great - it was a little dark and it looked like some boxes were being unloaded. These were easily in the top 10 cupcakes I've had, but not the very best.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Totally addicted to Pearl's cupcakes; take a taste and you'll see why”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Okay, I must admit I am a bit cupcaked out. I made two stops at Pearl’s in under a week; spending over $60 on 35 of their irresistible sweet tooth fixes. My first visit was on a rainy Saturday afternoon; in town for an overnight birthday celebration for my daughter and some of her friends. No doubt the skies were cloudy, but Pearl’s cupcakes put sunshine in our mouths. We arrived there around 2pm found a short line of customers that moved rather quickly thanks to the friendly, well organized staff. I’m a Pearl’s addict and am always hoping that they are offering up some flavor I’ve never tried on my previous visits. Bingo! This day there were some new to me. We walked out with 27 cupcakes for $38 and some change. They average about $2.41 a piece if you buy them by the dozen. Two or more equate to $2.50 each and single, $2.75; money well spent. My husband is a fan of their everyday flavors; me, I prefer something more exciting. We ordered-Cookies ‘n Cream, Red Velvet, Sugah Mamma, Sugah Daddy, Black and White, Top Hat, Candied Sweet Potato, The Elvis, Double Trouble and a vegan selection- Chocolate Mocha-I think. The new flavors this time around were Sugah Mamma and Sugah Daddy; one vanilla and one chocolate filled with salted caramel and iced in caramel buttercream. These were topped with crushed pretzels. The pretzels tasted stale, though weren’t. They lost their crunch due to the moisture absorbed from the icing. We each found the caramel filling to be super sweet and a tad more than needed. The Sugah Mamma was one of my new favorites; the chocolate caramel combo was sinfully good. The vegan selection I am sure was some sort of chocolate mocha, but to be honest I couldn’t tell what flavor it was. It was moist and edible, not bad at all; just a mystery as to what it was supposed to be. The Elvis, another newbie for me, was a banana fosters cake with peanut butter frosting. I was expecting a dense banana bread type cake with a strong banana flavor. This cupcake had a faint taste of banana and the icing was light and not too peanut buttery. The girls were pleased with their basic selections; eaten as snacks and unhealthy breakfasts the following day. One of my seasonal favorites is the Candied Sweet Potato. Think of that yummy Thanksgiving side in cupcake form. The sweet potato cupcake is filled with a squirt of marshmallow fluff, iced in marshmallow and vanilla and topped with candied pecans; what’s not to love here? It’s a clear winner all the way around!
My second stop at Pearl’s was five days later. In town for a doctor’s appointment, one mile from Pearl’s. How in the world could I be so close and skip a stop? I didn’t. This time I bought eight cupcakes, four for a family member who never tried them and four for me; new flavors to try again this day. I ordered the Maple, the Deep Dish Apple Pie, the Mango Blackberry and an old favorite, Carrot. Imagine driving an hour in you car while smelling these in the floorboard next to you; chocolate and apple pie aroma filled my car. As soon as I finished my dinner, I set up my tasting table. Feeling like a judge on Cupcake Wars, I placed my four selections on paper plates and sliced pieces off for tasting; swishing my mouth with water after each bite and onto the next. I am not too fond of maple flavoring, but knew I needed to try a bite of the Maple cupcake to be sure. This vanilla maple cake topped in a brown butter frosting with candied pecans had a very light, not too sweet, pleasing blend of flavors and the crunch of the pecans made this one even better. I thought the Deep Dish Apple Pie would have been the best, but sadly it was not. The snicker doodle batter may have been the downfall for me, as I was imagining an apple spice type cake to bite into. My family member said this was one of her favorites. After all of the sampling, I crowned the winner of this batch to be the Mango Blackberry. It was hard to detect mango in the cake because the blackberry overwhelmed it a bit. The mango icing made this cupcake really sweet, so I just scraped some of it off and devoured the rest. In my opinion, it’d be perfect without frosting, but would end up looking more like a muffin.
I’ll be heading to Richmond again in two weeks, can I pass Pearl’s up…probably not.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Never truly a hit and miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Yummy is the word! Even though the parking can be a little bit of a challenge, Pearls is worth the headache. Now very rarely does Pearls ever have a bad day but there has been a few. It truly has nothing to do with dryness or lack of flavor but variety to me. I enjoy the special flavors like: Key Lime, Margarita or my favorite marshmallow potato during the fall time. Therefore don't arrive before noon because more than likely they won't have all the cupcakes out for the day. They do sell vegan and gluten free, which are actually quite tasty. To me, I have been to five other cupcake places around town and Pearls is the best to me. Note they do open at 730 am on Saturday if you are seeking a nice little pastry breakfast. Enjoy!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
West Liberty, Iowa
“Would go again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Love the location and the cupcakes were delicious with a good variety. Staff were friendly enough but not overly so.

Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Best red velvet cupcakes EVER. I only wish the peach cobbler cupcakes were a daily offering. The shop is cozy and there is a constant stream of customers. I love stopping here while I am in Richmond. Next time I will call and make sure they have peach cobbler cupcakes available.