“Mislabeled tour” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 22 activities in Richmond
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Come along with REAL RICHMOND as we help visitors and residents alike navigate the culinary and cultural riches that RVA has to offer. Our food tours through architecturally and historically interesting Richmond neighborhoods such as Shockoe Slip, Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill, Carytown, the Fan, Jackson Ward, and the West End let guests see the behind-the-scenes scene in several Richmond restaurants and sample delicious creations at each of the several stops. Our walking tour routes cover less than 1.5 miles of ground, and we do walk rain or shine. We do occasional special events that include other activities such as a trolley tour.
Tampa, Florida
“Mislabeled tour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Our tour guide Maureen was very knowledgeable about the Richmond area but I would definetly not call this a food tour. We did see a few cool restaurants but I do not think that they amount of food provided warranted the $42/head price tag. We did the Broad side tour. I am sorry but one stop fed us Crudités and hummus and another gave us chesse and sausage. I was under the impression that these establishments would try to showcase what they have to offer. I also thought that since you had to be 21+ to participate that adult beverages would be provided. If you want I learn about different areas of the city this would be the think for you but take it from me, food wise you will not be satisfied.

Maureen E, Owner at Real Richmond Food Tours, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
I'm sorry you were disappointed in your recent tour. This tour isn't labeled 21 and older on our website or Brown Paper Tickets site, so I would appreciate knowing where you saw that so it can be corrected. There was a last-minute substitution due to one restaurant's emergency, so a gourmet market was added where the owner served local cheese and locally made gourmet salami and a fresh-baked classic dessert from a local baker. The hummus you mentioned was Butter Bean Hummus, a Southern twist on the usual served with crudités, and they also served Pimento Cheese, Deviled Eggs with House-made Fish Roe and Honey Lavender Lemonade. At the end of the tour guests received $5 off coupons from the restaurant that had to cancel last minute. All five restaurants and food purveyors on our tours serve their specialties, each in their own way.

Richmond, Virginia
“Touring, Tasting & Talking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I recently went on one of the Shockoe Bottom food tours and loved it! Not only did I get to try a number of great local Richmond restaurants, I Learned a lot and got to meet a bunch of great people too. As you walk around the city eating and chatting it up, you learn all the interesting little tidbits the guides are filled with at various stops along the way. Most of the places we went they served us family style, which I LOVED! It allowed me to try a number of dishes and figure out the ones I want to go back to for a full plate of. The sharing of good food between strangers brought us all together and had us talking in no time. I had an amazing time on this tour and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great way to spend an afternoon in Richmond Virginia.

Visited January 2012
North Carolina
14 attraction reviews
“A fun way to tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We did the Capital of Cuisine Tour in Sokhoe Slip, Richmond. It was a lovely walk, and an interesting and informative tour of the historic capital area.

Add to that stops at several of Richmonds creative foodie spaces, and it was a great afternoon. We visited a cooking school, an indoor market, and 3 restaurants or cafes. There was food and beverage at each stop, so we were filled and fullfilled both body and brain!

Real Richmond does several different food tours, so check them out and see what's happening with them when you are in town for a creative way to learn and snack!

You do have to walk--it is a tour, so check if you need assistance to make sure it's for you. The tour guides are very knowledgable and fun.

Visited December 2011