“Yum! Yum!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Yum! Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

If you want great soul food in Richmond you need to visit Mama J's on North 1st Street. Near where the original Croaker's Spot used to be and even better food than Croaker's had. That is saying something! I had fried catfish, macaroni and cheese and greens. Wanted dessert but was so full couldn't even consider it.

Cute place, small and the wait staff is excellent. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited November 2012

doylestown,pa
“southern homestyle cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Mama J's is just the best. Food is great, best catfish, and baked pork chops I ever had. Save room for the bread pudding Reasonable prices and extra friendly service. Fabulous. Can't wait to go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Excellent Home Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I stopped in for lunch during a midweek trip to Richmond. We had been to Mama J's shortly after it opened and thought it was great. It has only gotten better. The catfish was excellent and we enjoyed the option to get one or two pieces depending on how hungry you were or whether you wanted to save room for dessert which I would definitely recommend. Our side dishes were great also and I highly recommend the mac and cheese and the seafood salad. We split a piece of the lemon cake with lemon frosting which was a perfect combination, not too sweet and not too tart. Luckily, we arrived before noon because it filled up quickly. The service was excellent also even after the restaurant was full. It is no longer a well kept secret as all the other excellent reviews indicate.

Bangkok, Thailand
“Worth the wait!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

After reading the reviews, we were very curious and went earlier in case it got crowded later. Glad that we did! We waited for 20 minutes when we got there around 6 pm on a Sunday night. Lived in Atlanta/Nashville for 2 years so know a thing or two about southern cuisine. Mama J's kitchen is one of the best southern restaurants outside of the bible belt!! My first impression of southern cuisine is that "they do pork some sweet justice!" Mama J's Kitchen is no exception. The salad was nice and big and super fresh. If we did not need to get back to Maryland that night, we would have hung out even longer. Mama J's Kitchen is a must when you visit Richmond!!

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Food-EXCELLENT,I cannot stress that enough and if you like cakes & pies,do not leave this place without trying some. Sooooooo good! I promise,you won't be disappointed!

Service-I've always had attentive servers whenever I go there. I've been when it's busy and also when it hasn't been busy.

Restaurant- Yes,it is small and the tables are close together,but the atomosphere is great and the decor is beautiful. I am sure the wait times can be long since there are not that many tables. The prices are a la carte,but very reasonable.

Overall,this place is great,it is small and it's in an area where you may have to search a bit for parking,but neither of those reasons would ever deter me from going to this place. One of the best resturants i've ever been too!