“Not our thing” 3 of 5 stars

Richmond, Virginia
24 attraction reviews
“Not our thing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

This movie experience just isn't for us. Our friends wanted us to come with them, as this is their favorite movie venue. The movie is the movie whether you see it here or at a regular theater. The two things we expected to be better, the seating and food weren't. We did not have huge expectations for the food, we felt it would probably be bar type food and it was, but what wasn't great was looking/smelling the plate of leftover chicken wings during a 2 1/2-3 hour movie. While we appreciate there not being interruptions once the film begins there should be a method for clearing away the dishes.
Secondly, we both felt these had to be short of the Byrd Theater (which at least is understood) the single most uncomfortable seats. They appear as though they would be comfy, but they are not.
We prefer going to the Bowtie on the Boulevard. While you don't get the same food selection, you don't have to smell the food remains and your back doesn't hurt when you leave.

Visited December 2013

Virginia
23 attraction reviews
“Expensive dinner & a movie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Meal & a first run movie in a big stuffy chair. Nice. But the cost adds up pretty quick. We had wine & appetizers while we waited for the movie. Then we had a nice meal (cheesesteak sandwich for me , crab cake sandwich for her, plus more drinks ). Our night at the movie turned into $120. Next time: eat before we go and hold it to snacks & drinks. Very nice atmosphere & will definitely go again.

Richmond, Virginia
“some of the best food in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Truly, we go to CineBistro just for the food! The crab dip, the burgers, the shrimp and grits - awesome. And the desserts! Taste as good as they look.

Chesterfield, Virginia
119 attraction reviews
“Very Cool Format, Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great concept, and the food was surprisingly good. They have a pretty broad menu, but we played it safe, as you wouldn't expect the food to be great. We had the bistro burger, crab cake sandwich and the crab dip. Everything was good. Only negative is that these seats may be the most uncomfortable I've ever watched a movie from. It make sense that they sit more upright than the normal theater seat, but it gets very uncomfortable during a 3 hr movie. TIP: Look at the menu online and figure out what you want to order before you go. Get there the full 30 minutes early that they allow, and place your order immediately when they seat you. The wait staff do a great job of taking orders and delivering food as fast as they can, but if you arrive late or take too long with the menu, your order will go in last. And guess when you get your food....last. Ours arrived during the last preview, and we literally ate in the dark while the movie started. And now we know.

Visited December 2013
Georgia
63 attraction reviews
“Fun to do once or twice, but can be expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

My husband and I had been to this Cinebistro once before with friends and decided to share the experience with our daughter and her boyfriend. What I loved the first time is that we sat at the bar enjoying popcorn and beer before being called into the theater, so while we waited and waited for our server and our food (we were last to get a waiter and last to be served--sat in the very last row), we could munch on popcorn with free refills (popcorn was free due to points system) and have our drinks with us. We ordered appetizers, dinner and dessert, and from the crab cake sandwich to the ribs to the deconstructed peanut butter pie, it was all very good but pricey.

This second time what I decided that I love is that I can reserve seats, I donated to Toys for Tots so I was given free appetizers, and since I was just four points away from the free popcorn (at fifty points) the ticket agent gave me the coupon anyway. I also like the chocolate passed out at the end of the movie. What I didn't like at all was that my group of four were one of the first ten or so seated in the theater first (they ask that you arrive thirty minutes prior to the previews starting and the time on the movie ticket) and while we had a waiter come to the back row and take the order of the couple at the end of our row, he then left and never came back. We watched for forty-five minutes while three other waiters went everywhere else, but they never came up to take the orders of the eight people left in our row. We went to the manager at 3:45 and asked him about this and his only comment was "we will get to you". Why did I show up early and have my order ready? Why can't the waiters then immediately go to the rows that fill up and to those that have arrived and are settled (perhaps they always serve the last row last?) I arrived early so that I could watch those that walked in at 3:15 to 3:30 get waited on AND served their sodas, beers, drinks, popcorn and dinner first???

What we learned is that we will go in last minute so as not to sit there in frustration (and to sit for another thirty minutes watching landscape scenes on the screen), we will get our popcorn and drinks at the bar ahead of going into the theater so we can munch on something while waiting and perhaps not order dinner but appetizers and/or just desserts. The movie ticket is a normal cost (we paid $11.50 since it was considered matinee), but everything else gets pricey. And if you want refills, you must go to the bar to get them. This is not a big deal as long as the bartender is alert and not too busy...otherwise, you can expect to wait for this (missing some of the movie).

I will go back to this theater even though it is a drive for me, whether with friends or family, and just make a day of it (it is within a shopping mall), but I now know of better ways to not let my patience be tested here.

Visited November 2013