“The staff was nice” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Richmond
“The staff was nice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The staff was polite and helpful. Other than that, no aspect of this hotel is good, or even average. The bathroom was damp, dark, moldy, poorly lit, dirty, and poorly finished. The room had a sticky residue on the filthy carpets. The beds were very uncomfortable with dingy linens. Our room faced the back of the hotel where it is overgrown so there was very little light, even with the curtains wide open. The breakfast was barely in the "food" category, and that is because there were some apples. Otherwise, the raisin bran was some knock off brand, there were prefab circular egg patties and sausage links made of unknown animal, even the tea bags were poor in quality and selection. Every fixture and wall in the hotel is in need of updating. I cannot recommend this hotel even for an overnight stay

Room Tip: The best room is probably in one of the other hotels nearby.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites Richmond/I-95 S, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear SuiteLover,

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn and Suites standards. We also apologize if you did not enjoy the food provided at breakfast. We do appreciate your comments regarding your stay so we can continue to work and improve our hotel for our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I found this hotel online, while driving home from FL with my four small children and my mother-in-law. My husband was exhausted. I called and booked the hotel for one night. We arrived around 10pm and the girl at the counter did not ask for my husband's ID after she charged his credit card. We thought that was a little odd. We drove around back to park the car and noticed that the back door was not locked and it even looked broken. Going into the hotel, it smelled awful! There was no air conditioning, it was stifling hot and the rugs were stained. Between the door and the smell, we should have known better and gotten our money back and proceeded to another town. Everybody was so exhausted that we stayed. Big Mistake! The room was ok. After putting everybody to bed and settling in, we were awakened by fighting between a man and a woman. The cursing and slamming of doors was unbearable. Tempted to wake my kids up and leave the hotel, we were scared to walk into the hallway and see what would confront us. This went on until 4AM. We dragged everybody out of bed, didn't even change our clothes and ran out of the hotel. I told the kids that we were not staying for breakfast and that we would take them somewhere else. My husband and I were so upset and could not believe that we stayed there. Never Again!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Griswalds X,

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. We also sincerely apologize for any noises that woke you during the night from other guests. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.
wappingrfalls
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is right off the highway in a great location. We drove around the back to go into the hotel. The door to enter the hotel does not have a key lock. Anyone can enter this door. There was no air conditioning in the hall and it had a strange smell. We entered the room that had the same smell with a big rip on the couch and bed spreads from a century ago. We did not even put one thing down. I went to the desk and asked for a refund. The strangest thing of the hotel numerous cats we're sleeping along the walkway.

• Stayed July 2013
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites Richmond/I-95 S, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear tnmhenry98,

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future.
Savannah, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property for one night while passing through Richmond. We chose this location, despite the questionable reviews, because we had Club Carlson points and because it is situated directly off the highway. We knew we would be arriving late and leaving early, so decided those factors outweighed the negative reviews, even those regarding the safety of the area. Because of those reviews, though, I decided not to leave our new camera in the car and brought it in to the room with us. That was my first mistake. The second mistake came the next morning when I left the camera in the room and did not realize it until we were 10 minutes down the road. I immediately called the hotel and asked the front desk employee to check the room and grab the camera for me. He told me there was not a camera in the room. We turned around and went back to the hotel, and I asked for a key to check the room myself. No camera. We did not have time to question the employee further, and decided before we made any accusations we would check the car thoroughly. Still no camera. Okay, we thought, maybe in our rush to leave we left the camera at home. That was also not the case. At this point we began a series of emails, phone calls and letters to the GM of that property, as well as Country Inn Customer Care and Carlson Corporate. The GM had many theories as to what happened to the camera, but was not helpful or forthcoming with facts. Eventually, 16 days after the camera disappeared, a rep from Carlson Corporate called to tell me that the camera had reappeared and we eventually got it back. Now if it could only tell us where it was for those 2 weeks...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites Richmond/I-95 S, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Fiftyplus3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments so we can continually improve our services. We do sincerely apologize that your camera was lost for 2 weeks. We will share this information with our management team so as to improve in this area.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This served its purpose for a 1 night stay. It is no more than 5 min off of 95. Check in went smoothly. However I asked about my free room upgrade as a club carlson elite member and was informed by the woman at the front desk that the hotel was practically sold out and she did not have an upgraded room to give me. No more than 20 minutes later a man was offered a 1 bedroom suite.. so there WERE room upgrades available. Also, the parking lot was never more than 50% full, so lie #2. We woke early in the morning to check out and the lobby smelled absolutely awful. I don't know what it was and I don't want to know. I would only stay here again if I was REALLY desperate, but overall it was JUST ok.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Katy, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This was a great location and the rooms were quiet and nice. The staff was friendly and there were coockies and tea/coffee all day and night, in the lobby. They even had a lending book library. I will search these hotels out in my next search because they are a great price for the comfort level. They even had laundry facilities. I liked it!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Awful....room dark & smelled....run far away. Hotel is out of date and beds were lumpy. Lobby is the nicest part. The parking lot was EMPTY...should have known just from that. Checked in and checked right out. YUCK. Stayed in Embassy Suites down the road....MUCH better.

• Stayed June 2013
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites Richmond/I-95 S, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards. We sincerely appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent stay.

Been to Country Inn & Suites Richmond/I-95 S? Share your experiences!