“Good Value Motel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Charlotte, NC
“Good Value Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Price was right! For less than $80 got a clean room and a good nights sleep. Breakfast buffet was ok, but could have been better. Pet friendly. Staff is pleasant and courteous. If you want a good nights sleep near Richmond and not have to ransom one of your kids, this is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: For pet friendliness call the hnotel directly. 800 number says no pets! Book on line or through 800...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Clean and comfortable. Good pillows and bed, which is MOST important to me. Carpet and bathroom were clean. Bathroom was large, the towels were thick, and amenities more than we needed. We got an excellent price, and would have paid more. The man at the desk when we arrived was very welcoming and referred us to a wonderful historic restaurant that we would never have found on our own. My husband and I would stay again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
NEWTOWNABBEY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at short notice for one nights Excellent room, clean fresh and quiet. Breakfast was also excellent and varied. The hotel staff are friendly, knowledgeable and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast is varied and food levels high with much fresh fruit. It was a very warm day / night and the air conditioning on the second floor was not switched on making the floor very hot yet the room was cool but had an old type manual in room air-conditioner.
The stay was good and recommend. Close to the Interstate highway. Must say the hotel also owns and runs the adjacent gas station. I have never seen pumps and a filling area so clean with hand sanitizers at each pump - well done.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights. The room was extremely well appointed. Plugs everywhere for electronics. Great tv. Big bathroom. Even a good breakfast with actual china and silverware except on the holiday weekend when the breakfast was chaos.

• Stayed May 2013
North Canton, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was average but clean. The service was ok but could have been more friendly, no smiles or pleasantries.

Needed a taxi and they called a smelly guy with a dirty car, hum.

It was odd that they had cats running around outside the front door of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Muskego, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed one night as walk-ins in the Richmond area. We chose this location due to the price in a hotel coupon book, as well as knowing the quality of the chain. We weren't disappointed.

The desk clerk at our walk-in 10pm check-in was very friendly and patient, even though she had problems looking up my Carlson rewards membership number and then entering the coupon.

The room, bathroom and towels were clean and of decent quality. We happened to park just outside our room's window on the first floor, but we never felt that safety or security was an issue. The only thing that caused my eyebrows to raise was finding out the back door was broken and we would not be able to use it as an entrance during our stay. The clerk said that it was going to be fixed in the next day or so.

The decor did seem a shade dated, but when they bill themselves as "country", that by definition is a dated look.

We weren't too far from the ice machine and never noticed a problem with hall noise.

Our biggest problem was that the mattress stands/frames had extremely sharp edges. Our 3yo was playing on the floor and cut his head on the metal edge. It was quite a nasty cut and we did notify the staff the next morning (it bled so much we though we might have to take him to ER, but it stopped after a few minutes of pressure)

The breakfast was of good quality, variety and mostly plentiful. We did have to ask for certain items to be refilled (yogurt and milk) and the dishes weren't cleared away from the tubs provided and were full.

Wifi speed was adequate (email and Facebook). We did have to call the front desk and ask for the password though.

We would be willing to stay again, esp. using that coupon and would recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: Get a coupon from a rest area for a steal of a deal on the room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I booked and pre paid for 2 nights. My husband and I stayed the first night, and decided we would not be staying the 2nd night. We checked out early (by 9am) the next morning. I informed the desk clerk we weren't staying the 2nd night and that I was checking out and would like a recipt and a refund to my credit card for the 2nd night. she told me they couldn't give me a receipt (?) and they would not refund me for 2nd night cancellation. The manager told me i'd have to get a refund from the on line booking agent "travelnow" whom i had pre-booked & paid. I called travelnow while standing at the front desk and they said they would happiily refund me, all they had to do is call the hotel manger and get his approval. As I stood near the hotel desk on my cell phone witnessing the back and forth between the agent and the hotel pointing the responsibility to each other as to why i couldn't get a refund. In fact - the manager lied - he could have authorized the refund he just didn't want to. I just wanted a logical explanation for his reason to not refund us for a service we did not use. After all, I already patronized his hotel for one night. The manager didn't want to talk to me or my husband anymore, so he simply walked out of the lobby door, got in is car, and drove off!!! What a coward. After further investigation, the Travelnow site states in big bold wording "NO CHARGE OR CANCELLATION FEE" but as i continued reading within the NO cancellation fee statement it says "this hotel can refuse cancellation refunds". that's a big contradition and very misleading statement. travelnow is very misleading and so is this hotel. they are both ripping off consumers with no recourse. i'm disputing this charge with my credit card. i am contacting carlson headquarters - this hotel should be banished from using the carlson name.

Room Tip: don't use this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Care at Country Inn & Suites Richmond/I-95 S, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear 190Marcys,

We appreciate your feedback regarding this recent stay. This type of feedback will be shared with our management so we can ensure these types of situations do not happen again. Thank you for providing this information for us.

Been to Country Inn & Suites Richmond/I-95 S? Share your experiences!