“Best to avoid” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Best to avoid”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This hotel was run-down and in an equally run-down area of Richmond. It sits 5 miles south of the city out in the middle of nowhere, adjacent to a Philip Morris plant. I had to drive at least two miles to find a grocery store. Your food options will consist of a Subway, McDonalds, and a sports bar nearby. It would be far better to head north on I-95 towards the city center. The rooms had dirty carpets, smelled of urinal cakes and were not worth the value for the money. I should add the staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Navia_Gulley, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Richmond, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you, MorgantownPhil for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time spent here. We have been making various improvements to the hotel, so I'm not sure why you described our hotel as run-down. We've updated our lobby, our Candlewood Cupboard, and added 32" flat screen televisions to all rooms just in the last three months. We are located within the city of Richmond on the South side, and are convenient to lots of great restaurants and attractions by way of a short drive on I-95. The next time you stop by, please speak with the front desk and I know they'll be happy to make sure you find everything you're looking for when staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Salem, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Candlewood Suites on Commercer was a wonderful place. There was a full kitchen with all untensils, comfortable bed, good size TV, LARGE bathroom with handicapped facilities. Good weekly rates staring at $50.00. A little on the pricey side for one day, $122'ish....but for the week the prices are much better. We only needed one day and we wanted two beds in the room, but when we got there they didn't have a room available with two bed, so they gave us two room for the same price. GOOD DEAL and kind people at the desk that seemed to acutally care. Those people are hard to run into these days. No pool, but GREAT workout room. No breakfast, but with the kitchen you could cook your own or go to the grill that you could easily walk to, next door. FREE WASHER AND DRYER which would be nice if you had to stay a long time. Rooms were clean and they did have a place where you could buy snacks. Free coffee in the lobby....very, very nice place, especially if you had to stay in Richmond for some time. Very close to the Veterans hospital. There is a fee for pets $75.00, but we had a service dog so she stayed for free.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Ricki M, Thank you so much for the glowing and comprehensive review of our property. We strive to make sure every experience is as good as the one you had with us. It starts with providing the amenities you mentioned in your review and is rounded out by the sincerity of our staff. Thank you for pointing out that we are perfectly-equipped for extended stays, but can also provide an ideal setting for short term stays. I will certainly share with my staff that their hard work is appreciated by guests like you. We hope that you'll come back and see us some time, Ricki M!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I have been traveling to Richmond on business from Atlanta for 19 months. Out of those, I've lived at this Candlewood for 13 of them. The staff is always friendly and willing to help out. The rooms are very clean, and the facilities are great.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed here as the half way point during a road trip to Charleston, SC. The location was great - right off 95. The room overall was clean and comfortable. It had a small desk/chairs, kitchenette, and the bathroom was a good size. The air conditioning system is pretty noisy and turns on and off frequently. We used the fitness center and that could use some updating. The equipment was quite dated and some did not work at all. It served its purpose but could use some repairs or new machines. We did not really use the market except to get more coffee in the morning but it seemed well stocked. I would stay here again if I needed to.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Havre de Grace, Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I often stay at this property when traveling in the area. The rooms are always clean, the price reasonable, and I like having a kitchenette if needed.

My only complaint is noise associated with rooms close to the exercise & laundry facilities. As people come and go you can easily hear them in the hall. Other than that minor issue, I will continue to stay at this property - just not in a room in that hallway.

It seems that few people are remotely aware of hotel etiquette. My parents taught me to walk, not run, and to speak quietly when in a hotel hall so not to disturb people in their rooms. The civility of the public is not what it once was...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

I travel extensively for my business and I have been doing so for 25 years. And I can say without a doubt the Candlewood Suite in Richmond is one of my favorite places to stay when I'm on the road. It has easy access to Interstate 95 with just a few minutes drive from shopping to historical sites. The rooms are clean and neatly situated with all the amenities that make traveling less of a burden. The staff greets you with a warm welcome back smile that will soften even the most road harden traveler. They are accommodating, courteous and a dedicated staff that will try their very best to see that your stay is a pleasent one. When ever I'm in Richmond which is very often; I could choose from many other places to stay but I always choose to stay at the Candle wood Suites, my home away from home.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
dlfit451, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Richmond, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
We appreciate your feedback about your experiences here at the property. I will pass your kind words to our team here at the hotel. They will be excited to hear your encouraging words. We are always striving to improve and exceed our guests expectations and we appreciate you and look forward to your return visits here at the hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011 via mobile

We spent 2 nights here and loved it. The room was nice and clean, and much bigger than I expected. The kitchenette was really nice too. And all the people who worked there were friendly and helpful. We expected it to be noisy at night since the hotel was fully booked for the NASCAR race, but we didn't hear a peep out of anybody. All in all it was great. My only complaint is the free coffee they offer. Yuck, avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed April 2011

Been to Candlewood Suites - Richmond? Share your experiences!