“Good business class hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #49 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Havre de Grace, Maryland, USA
“Good business class hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I often stay at this property when traveling in the area. The rooms are always clean, the price reasonable, and I like having a kitchenette if needed.

My only complaint is noise associated with rooms close to the exercise & laundry facilities. As people come and go you can easily hear them in the hall. Other than that minor issue, I will continue to stay at this property - just not in a room in that hallway.

It seems that few people are remotely aware of hotel etiquette. My parents taught me to walk, not run, and to speak quietly when in a hotel hall so not to disturb people in their rooms. The civility of the public is not what it once was...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

I travel extensively for my business and I have been doing so for 25 years. And I can say without a doubt the Candlewood Suite in Richmond is one of my favorite places to stay when I'm on the road. It has easy access to Interstate 95 with just a few minutes drive from shopping to historical sites. The rooms are clean and neatly situated with all the amenities that make traveling less of a burden. The staff greets you with a warm welcome back smile that will soften even the most road harden traveler. They are accommodating, courteous and a dedicated staff that will try their very best to see that your stay is a pleasent one. When ever I'm in Richmond which is very often; I could choose from many other places to stay but I always choose to stay at the Candle wood Suites, my home away from home.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
dlfit451, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Richmond, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
We appreciate your feedback about your experiences here at the property. I will pass your kind words to our team here at the hotel. They will be excited to hear your encouraging words. We are always striving to improve and exceed our guests expectations and we appreciate you and look forward to your return visits here at the hotel.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011 via mobile

We spent 2 nights here and loved it. The room was nice and clean, and much bigger than I expected. The kitchenette was really nice too. And all the people who worked there were friendly and helpful. We expected it to be noisy at night since the hotel was fully booked for the NASCAR race, but we didn't hear a peep out of anybody. All in all it was great. My only complaint is the free coffee they offer. Yuck, avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed April 2011
Demorest, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

I stayed at this location for over a month due to work. This is the worst Candlewood I have ever stayed in. It is one of the worst motel experiences I ever had so far working on the road. The housekeeping is terrible, I put some dirt in the corner and threw a bread tie down, it was there the hole time I was there. I found a bug in bed at one point and had to fight to get new room. One room they put me in had trash all under beds. Half of the rooms are way outdated with nasty red carpet, they don't even look like a Candlewood. The internet is also terrible, it has been out numerous times. The fire alarm has also malfunctioned three times during my stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Cullman, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I recently stayed at a Marriot Residence Inn for a job, and was very comfortable there for my 6 week stay. My company booked me at this Candlewood for a 13 week job in Richmond; the first hour I was here I emailed them and let them know they were going to have to come up with a new place.

First, the location; it's about 200 yards from the headquarters of the Phillip Morris Company. There's a big 200 ft high cigarette sitting out in front of it. It's all industrial around here, with a small clump of hotels at right off the interstate. There is a Subway across the street, and a sports grille in the Holiday Inn next door; the Subway is much better. Within a couple mile radius, there are a few fast food restaurants and a couple of local dives to eat at. I've been driving 15 mins to eat every time.

As far as the place itself; while reasonably clean, it's got a tired, under maintained feel to it. The videotapes behind the counter that you could check out were the first clue; seriously, they have VCR's in the room? Yup (actually, a VCR/DVD combo, but seriously, who uses VCR's anymore?). The room itself is NOT fit for extended stay; it's a motel room with a fridge and a very small kitchenette up against the wall when you walk in. I've stayed at a Red Roof Inn recently in a bigger room than this one. No table, just one desk with a chair that is too short for the desk. An old 25" TV bolted to the dresser that I have to stick my finger into a hole to turn it on and off. There is about a 4' open area before you get to the bed. Nothing special about the bed, though lately most budget hotels are equipped with better beds. One bedside table, and one easy chair stuffed between the bedside table and the wall. The bathroom is of a decent size, with cheap cabinets and very little water pressure in the shower if you want to use any hot water. The shower fittings jiggle around very easy, I can move the entire setup around about 6" in any direction. There is one closet, it's pretty large, if basic.

I think they do room cleaning 2 days a week; I've been here since Sat, it's Tues now and they haven't come to clean or empty trash yet. I had about 1/4 roll of toilet paper on check in, and one single paper towel sheet (sorta... you know that last sheet that is glued to the roll? That's the one that was here).

The room is small, and it feels small; I went nuts living in a larger place in Vegas for 6 weeks, and I was working 4 nights a week and on the strip for a couple more while I was there. The Marriot I stayed in recently was spacious, with great service, and I could have stayed there 6 months or more; anything more than a week will be too long for me here.

This place would be good for a few days, if you needed the kitchenette. Otherwise, if you need to stay in this area, you would be better off at the Holiday Inn next door, the Hampton Inn across the street, or even the Red Roof in beside it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Croydon, Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I would only recommend this hotel for one guest. The bed is very close to the wall so you cannot have a bed table next to the bed hence no light there either. It is tight getting out of bed on this side. The TV did not always bring in network TV channels. The pillows and bed were not very comfortable. We had a fire alarm wake us up early in the morning. We did not fault them for this except a frequent guest told us it had occurred three times during his visits. My husband just showed me his socks after walking on the floor and carpet - filthy. I would never stay here again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

I usually enjoy Candlewood Suites, but this time was not a good experience.

Housekeeping here is TERRIBLE. I arrived and there was fecal matter in the toilet that I had to clean myself. The garbage was rarely removed from the room and I don't think the hotel owns a vacuum. Of the two burners on the stove top, only one worked. The microwave was broken so they brought another one into the room.

The internet is very slow, when it works and the hotel staff knows nothing about the area. When I asked about what restaurants are in the area, they didn't know.

Be aware that this venue accepts pets. One of my collegues was flea bitten the first night and had to move rooms.

Again, HOUSEKEEPING HERE SUCKS!

The internet, when it worked, is very, very slow.

The laundry room was filthy as well. The dryers barely work and the washing machines are disgusting. There is a fitness room, but everything is broken.

I won't stay here again. It was the longest three weeks of my life.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
dlfit451, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Richmond, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Dear Valued Guest

Please accept my sincere apology for the issues you incurred during your stay here at the hotel. We pride ourselves on legendary service and providing basic expectations for a clean and functional hotel. We obviously failed to meet these expectations so, on behalf of the staff, I do apologize. We have made some noticeable changes since your visit and encourage you to give us a second chance to provide the legendary experience we strive to attain. Thank you for comments for they do allow us to become a better hotel.

Been to Candlewood Suites - Richmond? Share your experiences!