“Creative and Interesting Menu” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #203 of 1,379 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Tapas, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Blue Goat is a Euro-Gastropub, featuring euro comfort food, sourced locally, in a nose to tail concept. Chef Kevin LaCivita.Gastropub: A bar or restaurant that serves high quality food.Euro Comfort Food: The foods traditionally served in a European home setting. Moms meatloaf in the US.Nose to Tail: The tradition of utilizing all parts of the animal in cooking.Local: Defined by the USDA as a day's driving distance. Defined by the localvore movement as, 100 miles.We encourage our guests to order multiple plates and share them family style as they come out from the kitchen.
Roanoke, Virginia
“Creative and Interesting Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I loved this restaurant in the West End of Richmond. An interesting blend of French Bistro, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine, there is something fascinating for every palate. On the recommendation of the server, I went for the Steak Frites, and it was both superb and plentiful! It also had a great selection of local craft beers.

I definitely need to return, as there were several items on the menu I could not fit in on this visit!

Visited March 2013

Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Who knew Goat was so good?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

In town for soccer tournament and looking for a nice meal. Turned to Trip Advisor and found the Blue Goat. Nice location and ample parking. Great ambiance. Good selection of beer/wine. We decided to be bold and fully experience the menu. For apps, we tried the rabbit pâté and also the braised goat over potatoes. The pâté was wonderful. We were a little apprehensive of the goat but it tasted like pot roast and got a thumbs up from the kids. The bread was warm, had a nice crust and soft inside. For our 5 entrees, we tried the pork piccata, rockfish with crab fritter, goat loin, manicotti, and mussels with goat sausage. All had nice portions and everyone shared. Each entree was tasty. The crab fritter was the only disappointment. The star meal was the pork piccata, the lemon flavor really popped and we wanted more. Since one of our entrees was delayed, they comped our desserts. The chocolate pâté looks small but is so rich that one person would have problems eating it all. The profiteroles were wolfed down. Much to my surprise, the dessert voted by my family as best was the caramel gelato with sea salt. We all walked out stuffed and glad we went.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia, USA
“They understand customer service and food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I had heard only good things about the Blue Goat so we were primes to try it. Went on a Friday night with a reservation(recommended it was quite busy on the floor and at the bar) and were seated promptly. The waiter was knowledgeable about the specials and menu and was attentive without hovering. The house salad and goat/pomegranate and potato appetizers were delicious. I had the mussels entree. They were cooked perfectly and seasoned very well; if you like mussels, you'll love these, if you are on the fence about them this preparation will win you over. The portion was exceedingly generous. My wife had the scallops. They were plump and succulent, also expertly prepared. Sadly several were spoiled. The staff was appropriately apologetic, offered to replace the dish, took it off the bill and didn't charge is for our second round of beers. That is certainly the way to insure a return visit. Overall, the food is excellent, fresh and innovative prepared. They have a top flight local beer selection and a healthy wine list to complement the fare.
We will return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Goochland, Virginia, United States
“Very good but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Tapas style small plates available. Unique entrees. Great beer selections. We had 2 of the small plates to share and one entree each...Too much food and ran the price up. Tried one of the nightly specials..I am sure it was prepared well but just not a good choice for me. Pork belly wrapped around, sausage, spinach and other things w a broccoli puree something as a side(did not like it).
House made Italian sausage---Awesome! local greens salad--equally as good. Other entree was also very good. I like the use of local sources for ingredients..Whether or not it is organic--who cares...much ado over nothing regarding organic anyway

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
chambersburg,pa
“you will eat everything in sight too!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

i guess goats have a reputation for eating anything and everything. However, that's not me, if the food is bad, ill leave it on my plate rather than eat it just because the waiter sat it in front of me. If you dine at the Blue Goat, you may find that you will eat everything in sight....maybe that's how they got their name? This restaurant was a wonderful find! The feel and decor was very trendy, with a very nice open feeling created by the high 'industrial' ceilings. A nicely separated bar and dining area with visual connections still possible and a lively but classy clientele gave it a fun feeling. An awesome private but open (glass enclosed) dining area for a small group (we had 8) that put your table front and center on the window to the kitchen of chef Kevin La Civita. He is a pro and you could tell just watching him, that he loves what he does. And the meals proved that he is good at it too, my stuffed manicotti and my sons steak were to die for! We certainly made the dish washers job easier by sending back totally cleared plates. The wine list was not lacking in superb choices and service was seamless. Dont miss a chance to dine here if you find yourself in Richmond.

Visited January 2013