“Will come back to Richmond just for Hogs Head!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1,380 Restaurants in Richmond
“Will come back to Richmond just for Hogs Head!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

As my family was traveling through Richmond, my son researched restaurants in the area and came across Hogs Head on Trip advisor, so we decided to try it. We almost passed it because it was tucked away, but luckily we found it! We tried the chili fries, nachos, pulled chicken/strawberry salad, shrimp po boy sandwich, hot dog and hamburgers, all AMAZING! The lemonade was awesome too! My kids had the chocolate lava cake and my husband and I had the banana pudding, it was to die for! We are here for one more night and are thinking about going back tomorrow night! I think we will have to visit Richmond again just to eat here again!

Richmond, Virginia
“My Favorite Restaurant in Richmond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Considering this place provides me with about half of my weekly dinners, I thought it was time to write a review. Simply put, this is one of the best restaurants in Richmond. A lot of people seem to come exclusively for their fantastic BBQ, however, you shouldn't limit yourself to just that. They have an enormous 'specials board' that is constantly changing with unique menu items that you just can't find anywhere else... Some of my favorites are the poutine (french fries topped with brown gravy, cheese, pulled pork and bacon - for those of you in the know, don't worry, one of the owners is Canadian), stuffed jalapenos (done like Italian style stuffed bell peppers but with jalapenos instead and topped with cheddar), and asparagus fries (tempura battered and served with a couple dipping sauces). They also have a variety of extremely fresh seafood options. The staff (who are great) are the same every time you go which leads to a tremendous amount of consistency in their dishes. The owners are always there cooking as well. The only downsides (and I use that term VERY loosely) is that they are closed on Sundays and Mondays and the space is fairly small (which, ultimately, is a good thing but expect a wait during peak hours... if you want to come in and sit down immediately, I recommend going late afternoon/early evening). Or, you can do what I usually do and get something to go while enjoying a nice draft of VA brewed beer while I wait. Bottom line, if you want a wide variety of fantastic, non-pretentious, and unique food options, go to HogsHead Cafe. Almost forgot, banana pudding...

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Great BBQ restaurant, try the superdog”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

One of our favorite places in Richmond, try the BBQ pork, or the Superdog, delicious indeed, this is a small restaurant so you might have to wait, but it is well worth it.

Visited December 2013
“Against the grain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

As you have seen, this cafe is highly rated by most reviewers in Tripadvisor. We had eaten at Buz and Ned's twice on our trip to Richmond and had really enjoyed the genuine BBQ there although it's far down the TripAdvisor list. We thought we ought to try HogsHead given its placing at the top of the list. We inquired of departing guests, "Did you like it?" Both couples said yes but one husband clarified by saying he preferred Buz and Ned's. We went in anyway. We ordered the Hog Sampler, a half a rack of baby backs, some pulled pork and our choice of two sides. The sides were the best part of the meal, yams (brown sugar and vanilla) and collards (cooked with ham hocks and topped with fresh sweet onions) were delicious and not overcooked. The ribs were super tender, falling clean off the bone. They tasted washed out. Smoky for sure but no bark. The pulled pork was stringy and dry, flavorless without added sauce at the table. This is not where you go for BBQ in Richmond. We won't likely return, but if we do we'll try their Cuban or Rueben with a Caesar salad.

Visited April 2014
Chesterfield, Missouri
“Get the Hog Dog”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Start with the fried oysters … enough for two of you. Then get the Hog Dog. It's encased in a bun big enough you can hold it in your hands and enjoy. It's just a small place, so you might have to wait for a table, but it's well worth it.

• Visited April 2014