“Great food and atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #567 of 1,273 restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Seattle, Washington
“Great food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

While staying across the street at the Hampton Inn I came over for a drink and ended up staying for dinner and several rounds. The burger I ordered was great and the staff and other patrons were very friendly.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

40% Recommend
“Not a great experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Not busy when we got there. My wife ordered soup which never was served. She ordered a salad a with steak and had to send it back,the steak was so tough. They served me my meal and never brought hers until after I had completed mine ( had to eat it before it got cold).

Visited November 2013
long island
“service slow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

fresh good food, service a little slow. Very close to the red roof. you could walk there from red roof.

Visited August 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Someone should call the Health Department....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I pass this place all of the time and because I like to try new places, I thought I would give it a chance. I was seated immediately, my server was very friendly and had great meal suggestions. I noticed a few flies around but brushed it off because it was a hot day and the door continued to open and close while I was seated. I heard another table complain to their server about the flies beginning to swarm around them and minutes after getting into my meal, a server began to explain indiscreetly , to who I guessed was the Dishwasher, that their dishwasher was broken and that there was a pile of dishes in the kitchen. I knew that this restaurant closes from 2-5pm so I had to assume that the dishes he spoke of was from lunch. This is why there were so many flies in the restaurant. I can only imagine how many were in the actual kitchen with our food. Needless to say I did not finish my meal. I explained to my server that she was great and the atmosphere was wonderful, but I could not handle their little bug problem. Im pretty sure I will not be returning

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
“Completely Underwhelming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband our kids and I were staying at The Holiday Inn Express using Richmond as a halfway point on our trip back from Myrtle Beach. The Sporting News Grill is located right on the hotel property, def convenient. The pictures of the restaurant look nice and the whole property is pretty new. I was happy a decent looking place to eat was on the grounds after a long day of driving. Unfortunately, I was completely underwhelmed and disappointed. I would of been happier at an average Applebees. Walking in on a Saturday night at 7:00 the restaurant was VERY empty---thinking that's a plus we were hoping for quick and good service. The decor was dated despite how new it is, just nothing I would ever remember and was SO quiet, no music, NO ambiance, no personality. To add to our bland food and less than mediocre experience we had a bland/ no personality waitress too, how fitting! Our food took a LONG time to come out (the place was empty, what was the hold up??) and our service was few and far between visits to the table. The food was gross, the kids meal french fries loaded with pepper (WHY on Earth would a chef put extra pepper on kids fries???). Cold beer in very frosted glasses was the only good thing about Sporting News---(and the proximity to I-95 to get the hell outta Richmond in the morning) Def do NOT recommend, but if you're staying at the hotel and don't want to drive, I'd consider it a choice---or try Subway across the street.

• Visited August 2013