“wow - the complete dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Lebanese, Tapas
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Richmond, Virginia
“wow - the complete dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

a month ago my husband and i began a new life's experience - started dr. caldwell esselstyn's diet - vegan, no oil, no nuts. now that's a challenge. we didn't want to give up meals w/friends not so radical in their eating. someone told me to call aziza's and ask the chef there, caleb shriber, if he wouldn't fix such a meal. we called a week ahead, took two friends, one a diehard meat eater and one willing to eat our way. wowowowowowo is what we have to say about our entire dining experience there last night. the restaurant itself is very charming, small, intimate, not too noisy, brick walls, a beautiful old brick oven straight back for all to view where they make their famous pizzas and other food items. the waitresses were attentive, just the right amount of banter without being at our table all night, and the food just sumptious. the presentation was lovely as chef caleb brought out our first course - a delicious pumpkin soup served in the pumpkin and a tampanade of avocados and other veggies served in the pumpkin neck. omg, that could have been our meal. our second course was a mixture of a different type of mushrooms and gnocchi that literally melted in our mouths. well, we were astonished when the dessert came out - lovely billy bread small servings w/specially made sweets on top. it was literally a feast and every mouthful a gastronomical delight. my friend who adventured out to try vegan enjoyed it every bit as much as my husband and myself. chef caleb was a charming person and seems so willing to try other interesting meals. our friends suggested that he call our meal the oliver meal(our last name) but caleb said he wants to try other things in this vein.
the menu, which our less adventurous friend ate from, showed real promise for delicious appetizers and entrees - a rockfish which looked so appealing and which we may have one night when and if we decide to cheat on our new diet. i forgot to say how reasonably the meals are.
try this wonderful place and tell caleb we sent you:):):)

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cary, NC
“Not To Be Missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My daughter and I were in town for just a few days. Aziza's was, by far, our favorite restaurant in the area. As mentioned, the cream puffs are a MUST. The pizza was fabulous, with that wood-grilled flavor and fresh ingredients. The grilled bread served with our meal was SO incredibly good, we were tempted to just fill up on that! There is a hidden "parking lot" right behind the restaurant, if you can find the alley to turn into. They had us just walk right through the back door, through the kitchen and into the restaurant. Everyone was very friendly. Our service was great. It was not a busy night at all.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond, VA
“My favorite in Richmond!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We have been going to Aziza's for lunch or brunch for years and love the variety of lunch salads, hummus, etc. Wish it was still open for lunch on Saturday! Within the past year they have started doing dinners. They offer a very creative menu using locally grown fresh ingredients. It is hard to choose what to order when everything is wonderful! My husband had the grouper with homemade gnocchi. I had foie gras stuffed quail served with roasted parsnips and pancetta. The gnocchi was amazing it was so light and fluffy! My quail was excellent! Our friends ordered the pizza which were also outstanding. It is nice to have the choice between entrees and pizzas on the same menu. Of course the cream puffs are a must!

• Visited October 2011
Richmond, Virginia
“Get the cream puffs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Best cream puffs I have ever eaten, hands down. The rest of the food is good too. Wait staff attentive, prompt and friendly.

• Visited August 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
“Bustling little restaurant with pizza and more!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We went to Aziza's for lunch on a Monday with my parents. We found it quite busy - but not too full to get a table - which gave us an opportunity to look around at what everyone else was eating. Mmm... The lentil and rice soup looked yummy even on a hot day. And a slice of quiche with a huge mixed greens salad? And I had thought it was just a pizza place! In addition to the wood-fired pizzas, which are listed on the menu, there is a great selection of "the other stuff" listed on the board. Sandwiches, prepared cold salads, cream puffs... Something for everyone. But the pizza -- really, try the pizza, or at least steal a piece of pizza from someone else at your table. (The pizzas are touted as "personal size" but I found that was a little ambitious even for me, and I have a pretty healthy appetite!). I realize everyone has their own peculiarities when it comes to pizza. I'm not wedded to any particular school of pizza, so I can happily say that this was really excellent wood-fired pizza with a crust that remained somewhat breast and chewy. The tomato sauce was vibrant and there was not too much cheese. This is quality pizza made with quality ingredients and it is priced accordingly-- and well worth it!