“Anokha Lives Up To Its Name” 5 of 5 stars

(804) 360-8686
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Anokha is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 1,379 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Golden, Colorado
“Anokha Lives Up To Its Name”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

There seems to be some diffrence of opinion on the meaning of the word Anokha itself - let me settle on on "Rare" as I intend this as a compliment. It is indeed rare.The restaurant is easy to find and has ample free parking. That settled, let us take in its ambience - excellent! The service was prompt and someone was there when we looked around for this or that.

We tried their vegetable samosas - they were served hot and fresh. Outstanding, because they tasted yummy and were not premade. On a Friday at 7:30 PM with a nearly full house, to get popular appetizers freshly made is a treat.

The dishes we ordered were Aloo Gobi (Potatoes and Cauliflower curry) and Malai Kofta (Farmer's Cheese Dumplings Stuffed with Raisins in an Aromatic Cashew Sauce). They were to die for. Served with steaming hot naan (flat bread) and rice, they were all excellent. We skipped dessert because we were full.

I would go back and I would recommend the restaurant.

• Visited July 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“Not just the best Indian lunch in the Short Pump area, but the best lunch option in Short Pump overall.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I've only ever been here for lunch so this review is limited to Anokha's lunch menu. It's an unbeatable value for a workday or weekend lunch if you're in the Short Pump area.

For $10 to $12 you get either a soup or salad, a curry entree, a side of the day, basmati rice, a basket of naan, and a small dessert.

I've been here just as a couple and also with my entire work group, and each time I've been more than satisfied. I can order my curries spicy and my coworkers can order theirs mild, and everybody leaves happy.

Our last lunch here we started with a lentil soup for my lunch companion and a nicely seasoned kachumber salad for me. Our mains were chicken vindaloo and a South Indian spicy curry we hadn't had before. We ordered both hot and they came out noticeably spicy.

The side of the day varies. It's generally a small portion of one of the vegetable curries. We've had okra before and this time it was chickpea curry. Dessert is usually mango pudding, but this time we lucked out and got gulab jamun.

It's much better quality than you could get at a buffet for a comparable price.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond, Virginia
“Americanized Indian restaurant, suitable for non-spicey lovers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

While I would tag this as Indian restaurant for their choices on the menu, I would definitely call this as an Indian restaurant which caters to the needs of an american tongue. Very mild and would not fall under any indian category of spices. The ambience is good.

If you are a spice lover and want to have a hang of real indian flavors, may be try to talk to them and make it more hot. Else you are going to have a bland indian cuisine which is not an authentic one to enjoy..

Visited July 2012
Phenix City, Alabama
“Excellent Indian restaurant and so-o reasonable.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Three of us went for lunch-ate plenty and we have leftovers. The lentil soup was so perfect. Lamb Roganjosh, Chicken tikka masala and Salmon Vindaloo were all very nice. Cannot believe it that for $11/- a dish one gets soup, main course, naan, rice and dessert along with nice ambiance and excellent service!

• Visited April 2013
“Great meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Went on a Friday night. The place was busy, but not totally full. Service was excellent - prices reasonable. Food was great. We had a tandoori sampler for an Appetizer, slightly dry, but good with the three sauces you get with Naan as a starter. I had chicken tikka marsala, which was yummy and my BF had lamb patia which was outstanding. Garlic naan was to. die. for. Can't wait to eat the leftovers for lunch today! We will be back!

• Visited April 2013