“Ambiance and Location” 4 of 5 stars

Description: theurbanfarmhouse.cot
Richmond, Virginia
“Ambiance and Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Sitting in a prime real estate corner of historic downtown Richmond, this locally owned cafe restaurant is my go-to place when I want a tasty meal or a not-too-guilty treat. The Q Blu chicken sandwich is my favorite, and their gluten-free selection from anna B's is yummy. They make a great milkshake for when I feel like an extra special treat. They are popular, and they do get crowded at times, and service will slow down with the crowds they get. But go during non-peak hours and you'll find it to be quaint, pleasant, and a nice laid-back taste of the Shockoe Slip.

Visited October 2013

Glen Allen, Virginia
“On to Arby's Instead”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

A friend and I decided to go to downtown Richmond for lunch for a change of venue. We both enjoy fresh, healthy food. This place was teeming with the trendy set and young folks. I ordered the tuna sandwich and my friend, the walnut pear salad. First of all, the price was outrageous--$10 for a small sandwich? My friend winced every time she took a bite. Overly tart dressing smothered the Mediterranean greens which quickly wilted from saturation. Walnuts seemed to dominate the ingredients of this salad. The pears were swimming at the bottom. My tuna appeared in small triangles of bland, generic looking wheat bread you buy at Dollar Tree alongside uneventful potato chips and a few carrot sticks covered in black pepper but nonetheless tasteless. The tuna was so dry. There were megachunks of celery hard to masticate and some sweet diced pickle in an attempt to add flavor. I was shocked when the waitress handed me a debit slip that include a section for a gratuity. What for? I returned to the counter for our food when my name was called. We then had to get up to fetch our own silverware and drinks. After that, we had to actually scrape the food off the plates into the garbage slot and then place the dirty plates into dishwasher bins positioned behind us on a counter in front view of all the customers. I couldn't help but think how unsanitary that was and why would they expect a gratuity. They should tip us for doing all the work. The décor was a visually overwhelming clutter of incongruous items that didn't resemble a farmhouse but a messy kitchen. I noticed all the customers around us did not finish their food either. Lousy food, Lacklustre ambience. The only treat was revisiting Shockhoe Bottom. Later my friend and I headed for Arby's in Short Pump where we enjoyed juicy, tasty all white-meat turkey burgers on 9-grain bun with generous portions of toppings. That was well worth the $5! We will not visit this overrated, overpriced establishment again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Media PA
“Casual good food an coffee”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stopped in twice for coffee on Sunday afternoon as we walked around Richmond. This place has a funky, comfortable vibe. It was very busy on Sunday, so we expected to fight for seats for Monday morning breakfast. Instead, like much of Richmond the second Monday of September, traffic was very light here.

I had iced coffee on Sunday. They give you the coffee over ice, and you can fix it to your taste. I like mine sweetened, and I was worried about the fact that sugar doesn't dissolve well in a cold liquid. Not a problem - Urban Farm offers up simple syrup. My husband ordered hot coffee, but he liked mine so much, he ordered iced when we went back a second time that day.

We had breakfast sandwiches and coffee the next morning - eggs, cheese, vegetables on bread with the sandwich made like a panini. Very tasty and filling - our early breakfast took us through to lunch at 2 pm.

This place is friendly, has lots of interesting quick and casual food and drinks, We'd definitely go back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Not as Good as Expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

After reading the reviews, I tried the Cafe twice during a recent trip. Yes, great location downtown, service very good but I didn't the two sandwiches I tried were very good. Small portions and high prices were a surprise. I had the BLT and a chicken sandwich - both were small with not much between the bread slices. What I had was tasty but still felt hungry. Also, they served chips which didn't seem so healthy (forgot to ask if there was a substitute). For what I paid, I was not satisfied.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chanelle_W
“Fresh and vibrant feel to it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Ate breakfast here every day, rather than at my hotel. Big choice and everything I ate was delicious, as were the smoothies. Relaxing feel to it, great for watching the world pass by!

Visited July 2013