“Sleek” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lehja is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 1,304 Restaurants in Richmond
Cross street: Located inside the Town Center underneath Hotel Hyatt House
Richmond, Virginia
“Sleek”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Lehja is a very pleasant restaurant with a sophisitcated feel, but also welcoming and calm. It is a great place for conversation with friends, and a sleek spot for a date. Once you are inside Lehja, you can easily forget that a shopping mall is right outside the door.
Much has been said about the food. I will add that, on several trips over a span of time, I have always had attentive & informative service, and food that delights the tastebuds. Last night we started with Firecracker Chicken Tikka and Shiitake-Leek Tikki. Both were excellent.
For my entree I selected Paneer-Asparagus Labadaar, and it was tailored to my taste (extra-hot). I felt like a sleuth trying to track down the asparagus, but the flavors were rich & complex, and that's what I love about great Indian food. Lehja cooks up its own twist on Indian fare, which may be a reason for the name; according to an interview with a managing partner, Lehja means "style" or "accent."
The portions are adequate to modest. I'd say, given the quality of food, service, and atmosphere, you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cape Canaveral, Florida
“Best Indian food I have eaten in 10 Years!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We found an old article in the Richmond Magazine about Lehja's and decided to try it out since we don't have a really good Indian restaurant in our town of Cocoa Beach, FL.

We picked the perfect place. The decor and atmosphere were very trendy and modern...the staff greeted us warmly and were very informative.

We ordered the Firecracker chicken appetizer and asked for it to be hot (spicy) rather than mild or medium. The waiter told us that it is quite hot...but that is how I like it. The manager came out with the order and told us about the pepper (rated one of the hottest in the world) was used to make the sauce. The chicken morsel were set on a light mango sauce. The chicken was incredibly moist and tender and, yes, hot.....but incredibly tasty. The heat of the pepper did not take away from the other flavors...it was well balanced.

My partner ordered the Kerala seafood curry for his meal which came with a salad. Plenty of seafood and a delicate curry sauce served in a bowl with a plate of rice. It was delightful.

I ordered the lamb (though lamb is not my favorite meat....too strong in flavor)....now I have to admit that I like lamb.....cooked by the chef's at Lehja!!! The red sauce infused and surrounding the lamb made my palate ask for more and more. It came with Lentil soup which was also good to the very last drop.

The manager was a delight and told us about his family and the other Lehja restaurants (2 others).......and that they were celebrating their anniversary of (can't remember) many years. We felt like part of the family.

This place is a definite spot that we will return to every time we come to Richmond.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cary, North Carolina
“Terrible food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We just did not have a good experience at this place. I am not sure if it was that one day as I see a lot of people are raving about the food there. The food lacked the most basic seasoning which was salt, I believe a chef should know how to season the food with the most essential ingredient. Apart from that the waiter was way too pushy in asking us to order specials. Three of us sat down and we weren't given time alone to think before he came over a few times asking if we were ready. I can understand if the restaurant was busy, but there was hardly anybody there. The food was expensive, which is fine I am willing to pay the money if you are willing to deliver the food. I would not recommend this place for Indian food. There are many around in the Richmond area who offer better food for decent price.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Altamont, TN
“From an Indian Aficianado... Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

My British husband and I LOVE Indian food, and we travel a LOT, so we always try out new places everywhere we go. We were delighted to discover this restaurant right next door to the Hyatt Place Hotel in Short Pump, VA where we had just arrived for a week's stay, and headed over as soon as we checked in. Modern, clean-lined, though not much privacy between tables, and therefore a bit noisy, but it was easy to forget that as we enjoyed some of the best naan and chapati we've had in a long time. Hubby's lamb curry was cooked to perfection and just right with medium spice (though it may come across as spicy to the uninitiated), and my lamb dish was also delicious, the meat practically melting in my mouth, almost no chewing required!! Service was present and attentive when we needed it, invisible when we didn't, a very nice balance. Well done, and highly recommended!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seabrook Island, South Carolina
“Outstanding food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

This restaurant doesn't offer the classic Indian menu - they've created their own formula, and it works. For appetizers, we ate spinach chaat, chicken tikka and persuaded the server to give us an appetizer portion of the chef's signature fig-ginger kofta, which was outstanding. For entrees, we ate shrimp patia and goat curry, very different and both delightful. Kulfi with a house gulabjabam finished the meal. Both the server and owner were constantly attentive, answering questions and listening to comments with interest - they're proud of what they create, and it shows.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere