“Don't count on the shuttle” 4 of 5 stars

2X HHonors Points
Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sterling, Virginia
“Don't count on the shuttle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a standard Hilton offering a part-time Spa and good eats at Schula's Steakhouse on-site. My room was clean, comfortable and modern. Some colleagues and I went to dinner at a nearby restaurant after we checked in for our stay. We used the hotel shuttle to get there and were assured of return service at the touch of the phone. When the time came to leave and we called for the shuttle it was a no show. Even after 45 minutes and 5 phone calls, the shuttle had not made it the two miles from the hotel to the restaurant for us. A friend who lived locally had to give us all a ride back to the hotel and we gave the MOD a piece of our mind. She was apologetic, but nothing further than that. My TV would not turn on when I arrived back in my room for the night. I called for maintenance...twice. They arrived after a 20 minute wait only to tell me it happens all the time. At least breakfast in Schula's wasn't a bust. I don't typically use a hotel shuttle and the TV thing, I can get over. I will use this hotel again when I travel to Richmond for business. My stay, itself, was quite comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel is quite new so everything is in good shape. The staff is excellent. On the night I stayed it snowed and the staff helped those with cars remove the snow. The rooms are not great for business, which is unusual given the newness and plug in space is limited, however. The hotel itself has more of a limited service feel, even though the service is good and the rooms are the same quality as other Hiltons.

Shula's was a disappointment. The obviously sous vide and then finish their steaks,which is fine, but they could not seem to grasp the difference between medium rare + and rare.

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've always had good things to say about Hilton hotels, and this is not an exception. I was greeted warmly by the front desk staff and my requests were handled as promised. I'd absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Parking lot fills up in the evenings due to the Shula's Steakhouse in the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Wakefield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Hilton while she attended a conference in January. The hotel is a lovely property and is conveniently located off Broad with a back entrance to Short Pump Town Center and several other shopping areas. We were most impressed with the helpfulness of the valet desk, because the weather was abominable while we were there, and we used them twice a day to avoid getting drenched. They even suggested a nearby branch of the Children's Museum for entertainment for my two-year-old grandson, which turned out to be a pleasant experience. While it is definitely a business hotel, they graciously accommodated my grandson at the breakfast buffet, and he charmed everyone from the sweet lady at the front desk of the restaurant to the gentleman making omelets. While the food itself was a bit bland, it was fresh and beautifully prepared. Our bedroom was nice, spacious and comfortable. My only complaint is that my cell phone had no internet service in our bedroom.

virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family and I stayed over here from Jan.18-21st. My boys were in a swim meet which was held at Collegiate Aquatic Center. I had made a mistake thinking it was closer but that was my fault. Though our commute was 30 minutes drive, I am glad that we had a chance to stay here. This place was probably the best of Hilton that I have stayed. It is fairly new...or they did a great job maintaining it. The rooms were immaculate and the bathroom was so clean, I didn't even see one cracked tile or dirty grout on the wall or the shower. Out of all the hotels and resorts I have stayed in, the two queen beds were very comfortable.There were conferences held during the day and night but the hotel itself was very quiet...I did not hear anyone next door though I think someone was next to us.
We did not have a chance to use the facilities b/c we were on a tight schedule but everyone seem very friendly and there was always someone in the front who was able to assist us. We did have breakfast buffet one morning. It was alright..the waitress who attended us was excellent..didn't get her name...but if you have time you can eat elsewhere b/c the hotel is at a perfect location with everything around it...there is everything that you can imagine...more stores and common name restaurants. It is right next to a outdoor mall with Nordstrom, Dillards, cheesecake factory...you name it everything is around the hotel near the 3 mile radius. The whole entire area is new...theatre, Dave and Busters, wholefoods, maggianos, etc.
Having said all this...you will not regret staying here. If I was in Richmond again, I would definitely stay here and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I planned a romantic trip out of town. We spent over $600 just in spa treatments and dining at Shulas. We had already prepaid for a room on the executive floor. The spa treatments were superb. Dinner was delicious, though I can't say I was charmed by the hostess dropping a football "menu" on my plate as soon as we sat down. Maybe there is some kind of in-joke we didn't get?
I can't say enough about the spa and salon. First class all the way. One small complaint- no water offered or readily available in the lounge.
The room was clean and lovely. Check in was timely & professional.

Everything was lovely...until a week later. Apparently, our pre Christmas one night trip was beyond the financial capabilities of the staff. I do not use credit cards, and I am quite famaliar with the hold of $400 on my debit card when I check in.

I am NOT, however, familiar with the practice of sending a hold for $400...while transacting a charge to the spa with a double billing for the room we had pre-paid. We had authorized a total $425. The Hilton held onto over$900 of our money...until I could reach the accountant. When I told her we would not be staying with them again, the best incentive she could offer?

Call me next time and I'll make sure it doesn't happen again? Speechless.

Great hotel and services. Watch your credit card like a hawk

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is the second year we've stayed at the Short Pump Hilton. Our organization hosts a conference there annually. The conference facilities are a good size for a small conference and the staffing is excellent.
On a more personal note, we had no trouble checking in, even though we had to bring our dog last minute. The staff was very friendly and made the adjustment without the condescension that you sometimes get when traveling with a dog. I do believe they have a 'dog floor', but other than hearing some barks down the hall - I have no confirmation of this. If our room had had a canine guest before us, you'd never have known it. It was very clean and my dog didn't spend any time smelling any particular corner or piece of furniture, which is something that usually happens when the cleaning isn't quite complete. The $50 dog deposit (non-refundable) is competitive with other chains and less than I would have paid for a professional dog sitter for the weekend. If that's what it takes to have a comfortable clean room AND a dog, then I'm in.
The staff was friendly and accomodating from manager to doorman. We were always greeted with a smile. The other benefit of the hotel is that it is in the Short Pump Mall complex, so there are restaurants and shops within walking distance. If you don't want to eat at Shula's, there are lots of options. I'm sure we'll be back next year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump? Share your experiences!