“Nice property but a glaring service shortfall” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arlignton, VA
“Nice property but a glaring service shortfall”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

First the good news. The hotel is located in a growing area with lots of modern shopping options for folks into the suburban shopping experience. The indoor pool is nice and the gym is adequate. Parking is free (a rare find in a big city name brand hotel) as is the Internet connection.

Now the not so good news. Check in was very late. True, like most places they do not promise the ability to check in before 3 p.m. but in most places one can get in sooner. My meeting started at 1 p.m. and I'd driven quite a ways to get there. But no hope of getting to freshen up or relax before the meeting. Still, that was within the stated policy, so one cannot really complain about the situation.

More importantly, for some reason, the hotel simply forgot or refused to clean my room on the second day. I left in the morning and there was NOT a "do not disturb" sign was on the door. Upon my return after lunch I found the room untouched. So, I thought perhaps they were doing the rooms where folks were checking out first. It is a busy place.

When no maid arrived by 4:30 I informed the front desk (in person by walking down there) that if they did not intend to clean the room I would at least like some more coffee and hand lotion for the next day. (I am capable of making my own bed.) The front desk informed me they would have the room completely serviced. So, I left for a jog around and through the nearby shopping area. When I returned, no sign of maid service.

At 6:45 on my way to a business dinner I again inquired. The front desk person looked at me perplexed and said "we requested the service at 4:30." I am not sure what I was supposed to do about it. They promised again to have the room serviced.

By chance I had forgotten my convention name tag and wanted to wear it at the business dinner. When I returned to my room 30 minutes later an attendant was entering.

"I understand you requested extra towels," he said. I explained that I had actually asked for maid service or at least some coffee and lotion. He seemed genuinely surprised. When I arrived back after dinner. the bed had been somewhat made and I had more towels than one person could ever use. But the used drinking glasses from the prior night and the couple of towels on the floor were still there. The trash had not been emptied and there was no new liner for the ice bucket.

So, if you want a fairly new place with a decent pool in a suburban location this is a good choice -- so long as you don't actually expect them to service your room or think repeated attempts to fix the situation will get you anywhere. There is clearly an internal communication problem that will hopefully be addressed over time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HiltonRichmond, General Manager at Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump, responded to this review, November 12, 2011
I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay with us. We have made some dramatic improvements in the Housekeeping department to include new staff and more training to address these issues.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to have the oppportunity to have you as our guest again to show you that what you experienced is certainly not the norm.

Best regards,

Devin Heath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Enjoyed the stay immensely; very nice proeprty; location is by lots of shopping but you really need a car to get around; not really near any attractions

Staff was very friendly and seemed to go the extra mile to ensure a nice stay

I was there on business and I had an issue with poor cell phone reception for verizon whcih was a bit annoying

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
That is wonderful that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa. We hope to provide each guest with personalized service to compliment the beautiful hotel and expansive area of Short Pump.

If we can ever assist you in the future, please do not hesitate to call upon us.

Best regards,

Devin Heath
Spotsylvania, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

This hotel has great potential. It is new (opened in 2009), and located near an upscale shopping area in suburban Richmond. The rooms were reasonably stylish and clean. But the hotel aspires to four stars and stumbles miserably. When my wife and I received access to the "executive lounge", we were pleased. But the food was tired. Worse yet, the waiter placed the food on dirty dishes left over from the evening before. The next morning, we went to the health club. It was modest, just a few treadmills and a small set of free weights. But the hotel promised new headphones in a bright red box. We found one pair, and they were used! There were no fresh towels, just some used ones from the day (or three) before. When we arrived at the restaurant the next morning for breakfast (using coupons we received after complaining about the cleanliness conditions in the lounge), the waitress pointed out the omelet station near the buffet. But, it was unoccupied. When a cook arrived, we made our way to the station. He explained that he had two omelets cooking and could we come back in a few minutes! Isn't the "chef" supposed to jot down orders and work on them after he finishes what is in front of him? Our room was not made up until around 4:00 p.m. each day. When my wife called about it, she was informed that the staff was instructed to clean rooms which had been vacated first. Reasonable enough, but shouldn't you hire enough housekeepers to clean rooms before the guests return from a long day of work or play? The closet is so tiny and jammed that even two garment bags leave it bursting at the seams.

The employees were not rude; they just did not seem to know what they were doing. Has Hilton resorted to putting employees to work without training? Hilton calls this place a "resort". I know the title overused these days, but the concept is simply ludicrous in a place that cannot accomplish the most basic rudiments of hotel service.

I was attending a conference of an organization I currently chair. We had approximately 255 people at a banquet at the hotel. Many people (including me) found the filet mignon on the menu burned beyond recognition.

To be fair, we got a reasonable rate ($115.00) which eased the sting of the awful service. Perhaps the hotel simply cannot operate near full capacity. And our bellman was one of the best I have ever had. But overall, this place is not ready for prime time. If Hilton corporate values its franchise, it will pay this place a visit and order the management get its collective act together. I am a loyal Hilton customer (Hilton Honors Gold). Experiences like this make me question my loyalty to the brand.

Room Tip: Staying elsewhere is your best bet.
Ankara, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Hotel is new and the location is also new and very nice. They built up the whole area five years ago from scratch. The only problem is that there is no transportation to downtown except cabs. No subway, no trains, no buses, even no hotel shuttle. If you want to go downtown to see Richmond city you need to call a taxi. One way is around $65. Other than this, hotel is good and personnel is helpful. I would expect the breakfast was included to the room price. It is additional $15. The breakfast buffet was very weak for the price. However, if you want to eat more, they have a menu for additional foods and, of course, price. All in all, this hotel is not for tourists who don't have a car or no intention to rent one. My istuation was just like that.

Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Staying at a hotel for a tourism trade event is always interesting. You try to guess if the hotel gets it in terms of impressing their peers and leaders in the industry (hoteliers, attractions, destination marketing organizations, etc); if they do it because that is what they do; or sadly really do not get it.

A little long winded but my take away is that the hotel gets it as a part of its management DNA. I did not get a sense they treated the industry folks any differently (would not allow early check-in or check-out, staff were attentive but not fawning) but they treated us like any other guests. The hotel accommodated my switch from a king to double double for my family. The pool worked great for my kid, property is in good condition, front desk eager to please, and good proximity to shopping, dining, and kids museum annex.

The only ding would be the strange dark long hairs so maybe housekeeping needs hairnets. And on housekeeping, I hope my industry colleagues practiced good hospitality in return by tipping their housekeepers (and I know a lot of them don't).

Southworth WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

We rented two rooms for our family, so it's not just a "one bad room" phenomenon. The carpets were not clean. The hallway smelled of cigarettes even though the rooms are non-smoking. The fixtures were no better than the rooms we had (on the same trip) at various Courtyard Marriotts and other much less expensive hotels. The bathroom was small and not ventilated. The beds were fine, but not the dreamiest. Certainly nothing to rate a premium price.

We found Shula's restaurant screamingly loud at night, and our lunch time service was really and truly very very very slow. To be fair, though, the room service was speedy and excellent.

One of our rooms was on the eighth (premium) floor. The room itself was smaller and the bathroom only had a shower, but in every other respect the same. However, the private lobby/lounge and breakfast was worth it, especially if you are conducting business.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

The lobby is beautiful, Shula’s restaurant is fabulous - even if you only want a few drinks and apptz at the bar; great way to start the evening! My room was a double queen, décor was very smart and clean, and bathroom very large. There was the typical mini fridge, large flat screen tv, a bed you wont want to leave, and big fluffy towels. The indoor swimming pool is medium in size but very nice and attached to the workout room which looked either brand new or new renovated. A happy surprise was using the one of the four computers in the lobby and printing my boarding pass for free and without hassle. It is just down the street for a zillion stores and restaurants. I had dinner and drinks at Bar Louie, which was fantastic and the live band was unbelievable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump? Share your experiences!