“Nothing to write home about” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Maggiano's - Richmond is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 1,304 Restaurants in Richmond
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Wilmington
“Nothing to write home about”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My friends and family have been telling me that I needed to try this restaurant for years. I finally decided to go and I wasn't that impressed. It is loud and crowded. They pack in the tables and chairs to ensure they get as many people in as they can. With all of the people and the music blaring I could barely hear the person at my table. We had to speak a talk loudly just to hear one another.

The service isn't bad. It was full and our server had a lot of tables. They have a pretty decent server team structure but it wasn't working properly the entire time. I understand things happen though. We were overlooked a few times. We got the expected apologies and it wasn't a big deal.

I ordered the cannelloni and my guest ordered a veal dish. My food was ok. It wasn't anywhere near great. I have had much better. The veal dish was said to be good but not of the caliber of what others said it would be. They do give big portions however, I don't think it's worth the price. I don't mind paying for good food but this wasn't that great to be. It was on the level of much cheaper chains.

I will not go back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“First time is a charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We went here to celebrate my daughter starting sophomore year at college. We had a fantastic waitress, who given we were a party of 7 with 3 special needs foster children was not fazed at all. She was wonderful. The menu met all our needs (vegetarian and chicken only) and the pace of the meal was unrushed, allowing for great conversations.

We will return soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wilmslow
“Nice food, good staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Another reliable place to eat, especially with a large party. They had an especially busy night when we were there so could not accommodate a reservation for our party of 12 at a single table, but said they'd be able to find tables close together. The tables were directly next to each other and the waitress was very apologetic -- apparently they usually have 100 reservations and had 275 that night (Redskins training camp in town). The wait staff were clearly working very hard -- they got a few things wrong but were very apologetic and pleasant (which always makes the difference for me). The food value varies -- if this is important to you check the menu closely. The $45 steak seemed exorbitant, but the $12.50 buy-one-take-one-home on basic pasta dishes (spaghetti, lasagne, eggplant parmesan) is amazing value and great for the children. A nice venue too, with high ceilings and interesting Italian (Sicilian?) themed photos etc. Definitely recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland, United States
“Great family meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

3 long time girlfriends and their daughters had the pleaser of visiting Maggiano's in Richmond, we truly enjoyed the meal, wine and waiter Thomas!

The food was very kid friendly and tasted fantastic. We had the Classic Family style meal which did not include my favorite disdain...veal Marsala. But I survived.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Carrollton, Virginia
“Did Carryout----make sure you ask!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I did carryout one evening because I love this place. I had a salad with salmon on top, which was delicious! When I returned to my hotel with my yummy dinner, I realized that they didn't put any silverware in the carryout bag. So, if you get carryout and need the wares, make sure you ask for them!

Visited August 2013