“This hotel gives the Doubletree and Hilton a bad name.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #28 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“This hotel gives the Doubletree and Hilton a bad name.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Well where to start.....

My partner and I were driving back home from New Jersey to South Carolina, and decided to split the trip up and stay somewhere in Richmond. We tried priceline's name your own price for a last minute deal on a 3 1/2 star hotel, and was chosen the Doubletree in downtown Richmond. I was pretty happy because I have always had nice stays at Doubletree hotels. NOT the case with this hotel. We arrived at the hotel only to find out that the only way you can park your vehicle is by valet. We valet the car, and once INSIDE the building realise there is a 19 dollar fee per DAY to park your vehicle. well so much for the great hotel deal! You think priceline is giving you a good deal, only to find these hidden charges the hotel adds on. Going down to the front desk and venting your frustrations is pointless because they won't help you at all, just give you the fake look like they care and apologise.

I looked online and researched that this place actually charges $139 per night normally? REALLY? If I would have been charged that I would be outraged!

The hotel- the lobby is nice. thats about it. This building is old, and must have been another hotel or company at one time. Once you get past the lobby and walk to the elevators its over. the elevators are old. Yeah, put up some new accents in the elevator doesn't help. Its still old, creeks and wiggles all the way up to your floor, the door is all scratched up, the carpet is old. Not impressed with the front desk staff either.

the hallway-the hallway to our room is old, dank, and dreary. It has a musty smell to it, and the carpet needs to be ripped out and replaced. there was trash and trays of food all over the place.

The room- well the room APPEARS to be nice. new wallpaper and furniture is nice, but the bathroom is not. Rust all over the door, scuffs, vanity is old.....and SMALL I could barely get in the bathroom and close the door. the TV is flat screen and nice, stains and burnholes in the carpet

The pool area on the rooftop boasts on their website that they have a "luxury pool with a great view of the city" ummm no. Its got an old looking pool that looks like its never been rennovated since the day they built the hotel. The view? oh yeah, you have views of parking lots and an apartment building next to the hotel.

I am NOT impressed with this hotel. If you think you are getting a good deal by using priceline's name your own price, you might as well tack another 20 bucks per day on top of that if you are driving. I will NOT be staying here again. Doubletree and Hilton should be ashamed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
MichaelTruini, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your reservation at the Doubletree Downtown Richmond.
We do our very best to make sure your stay with us is pleasant. After reviewing your feedback it sounds like the expectations were not met and would like to apologize.

With us being in the city limits, and with limitations in the city, we do offer covered valet parking at $18 per day. After regular business hours and on the weekends guests are able to park on the street as well at no charge as an option.

Our facility is located in Richmond's Historic District and most of the buildings in the area are older. We do our best to maintain our facility to cleaning standards that travelers expect. Updates in our industry is a never ending process and even though it began with a $10 million facelift in 2007 we continue to work on key areas so that it is well maintained and updated; as you mentioned the carpets in the elevators were old but we replaced these about a month ago.

As with all guests, if you are not satisfied with your room upon check in then we are happy to switch your room to one that is more suitable for you.
We are happy to boast being the only hotel in the downtown area to have a rooftop swimming pool. Before the pool opened in May we made enhancements that including new potted plants, beautiful flowers, and fresh paint around the entire pool. We have had many great comments about the pool itself and of the complete view of the city.

We appreciate your comments and will share this information with other team members so that we can make any corrections we see necessary. Please feel free to call me or email at Michael.Truini@Hilton.com.

438 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Boynton Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Recently stayed at the Doubletree downtown. The hotel wasn't as bad as some of the reviews I had read, though I intentionally avoided eating in the hotel restaurant. Check-In was adequate. There were only a couple of guest checking in at the time. I did notice the checki-in area was much busier around 4:30pm. Parking is a little difficult as there is no hotel parking lot. You can park on the street near the hotel. You are only allowed up to 2 hours before 5pm weekdays. After 5pm during the week and all day on weekends parking can be found easier, but it's hard to get close to the hotel the later in the evening. The room was sufficient and nicely appointed. The bathroom was small and the shower handle was very sticky. Ice is available on alternating floors. There are a couple of places to eat within walking distance. One is just ok (a diner) and there was a five star restaurant two blocks away at the Jefferson Hotel. By the way, there is a small Starbuck's on the first floor. I purchased through Priceline and therefore the rate was a good value for the location. If you've never been to Richmond, there are lots of places to explore!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
melissajacks, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, June 22, 2010

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Being a downtown hotel, parking can be inconvenient, but we do have valet parking available in our secure garage at the hotel. Richmond does have a lot to offer and so many things to enjoy. We have a shuttle that will take you within 3 miles of the hotel. It is complimentary based on availability.

We value these comments from you, an exper traveler. Please feel free to call me or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can ever be of service.
Fort Wayne, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Well after booking this through priceline, i did get the hotel for a good price for 3.5 star hotel, but I was shocked as soon as I arrived that this was not a 3.5 star hotel. I read these reviews beforehand, and I should have known this would be disasterous, but I thought maybe everyone who has a bad experience writes reviews on here.....not the case. This was more of a Radisson or a old school holiday inn that simply went through a facelift, and then branded a doubletree. The rooms are small, and the bathrooms are smaller. There seems to be some nice furniture in the rooms, and nice bathroom fixtures, but other than the facade of its quality, inside the hotel, the management, and the staff, it is all an attempt to cover it up to make the hotel appear better than it is.

When we arrived, they did have some people that were offering to take our bags, and I never really feel the need for anyone to do this, mostly because I can carry my own bags without feeling pressured to tip them for simply moving a cart up an elevator. It was awkward and I felt obligated, and never really had the chance to deny this service.

The lobby was dirty, had very dirty curtains, and the floors and windows were dirty as well. It had an ambiance of being a nice hotel, but in reality it was just a dirty, and poorly kept lobby, which is reflected in the rest of the hotel.

We got to the room, and as stated above it was extremely small, had two double beds, and a crazy small bathroom. The tv was a flatscreen, which on the outside give the impression of quality, but when it is turned on, the every other channel is not working, and the picture is horrible. About an hour into our visit, we noticed a lady that was whistling in the room next door. It was annoying because you could hear it as loud as if someone was in your own bathroom. At this point i was upset at the quality of the hotel, so I was already on the phone with doubletree, and this was added to the list, poor wall construction and lack of sound proofing. As soon as the whistling stopped, a dog started barking for 30 minutes straight. This set me off, so I called the hotel, and the informed me that there was not any other non-smoking rooms in the hotel. (my wife has asthma, so we cannot go into a smoking room). I called Doubletree's customer service line and spoke to the man again, and even held my phone up and allowed him to hear the dog barking. He again checked his system and there was no rooms available.

I followed the manager that attempted to stop the dog from barking downstairs. To which magically they had found 2 non-smoking rooms, because the dog barking was sandwiched in between our rooms. They gave us 2 king rooms. We packed up all of our stuff, and went up to those rooms, and immediately I was much happier.

However, once we got into those rooms, the bathroom lights in both of our rooms were out, and I wasn't going to call the maintenance man at 10pm to come up and replace the fluorescent bulbs. I dealt with it. Then in the morning, our shower wouldn't drain, so my wife and I were forced to shower with our feet in water--kinda gross.

The valet parking did have our van ready to go, and it wasn't broken in to or anything.

Overall, the hotel had poor quality, poor cleanliness, and even poorer management (lying) and I was extremely dissatisfied. I have tried to contact doubletree about getting my money back, because it just didn't seem right that we paid that money for an experience I could have gotten for a fraction of that price at a Motel 6.

do yourself a favor and stay clear of the doubletree in downtown richmond.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Please let me apologize for any inconveniences you experienced at our hotel and that the manager on duty did not respond in an appropriate manner. We did receive your complaint thru Hilton's Customer Service line and did attempt to respond to you via email.

Thank you for these comments as they allow us to make corrections to our operation. Please feel free to call me or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can rectify the situation.
Richmond
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

This is the worst experience that I have ever had in any city that I have ever visited. Rugs are unclean... Folks had pets all over the place, which makes me wonder where the pets sleep (Floors or bed)? Our room and the hallway smells like smoke! Horrible customer service. Only double beds available for two nights. Save your money and stay somewhere else!!! Trust me, I wouldn't tell you anything wrong.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

We are a pet friendly hotel, but the pet rooms are only on certain floors and we do deep clean including shampooing the carpets after every pet. We just recently had all the carpets throughout the hotel cleaned and we do try our best to honor all guest requests for room types, etc.

Thank you for these comments as they allow us to make corrections to our operation. Please feel free to call me or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can ever be of service.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

When one stays at a Doubletree they expect more then just warm cookies. This Doubletree, though a great building, has a "rough around the edges" staff. They are all unhelpful and uneducated about the area. There is a washer/dryer in the building for the longer stays but it was never disclosed to me during my stay... even when I asked the front desk where the closest laundromat was. The staff is constantly and loudly complaining about their jobs and bosses infront of customers. The gym is small and the ceiling is low, but there are enough cardio machines to do a workout. The "shuttle" is non existent unless you are a flight crew so expect to taxi or eat at the local chipotle. The area is fine, but you really should expect more from a doubletree.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Please let me apologize for any lack of service you experienced at our hotel. We are recently under new management and have made changes to staff and improved our customer service training. Most of the time we have two shuttles running and try to accommodate as many people as we can.

Sedona, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We stayed here and thought that our room was quite comfortable. We saw no evidence of filth and bedbugs as detailed in another review. The hotel is in a rough part of downtown Richmond, and although only a block away from the top-rated Jefferson Hotel, this block makes quite a difference. You don't feel safe walking around here. I found the hotel to be somewhat neglected, looking like it isn't real busy, perhaps nearing the point where it is going to go out of business. Doubletree needs to come in here and look after the place a bit. We generally stay at the Omni Downtown Richmond (very highly recommended!). This place was just "OK" and nothing special, but at least the bed was nice and comfortable and there were plenty of good pillows.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

While we can not change our location, it is actually a positive in a lot of ways because we are surrounded by the Va Commonwealth University campus where the students are constantly walking and none of our employees or guests have ever had a problem. We are glad you enjoyed the Sweet Dreams by Doubletree bed.

Thank you for these comments, and please feel free to call me or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can ever be of service.
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Bed bug infestation. They were biting me all over my face and neck, I though I an allergic reaction. Went to the doctor and it was bed bug bits. Called my employer and they promiised to do something. I don'tunderstand why I keep being sent to that property, The restaurant food is gross. The critical violations on the vhd official website.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

I apologize if you were bitten while at our hotel. While it is not something a hotel can prevent, we are constantly having our rooms inspected and always follow the strict guidelines to ensure there is not a problem. Please know that your comments are reviewed with the entire team here so we can improve on our services in the future including in the Restaurant.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!