“Dogs barking in a sketchy location---not a true doubletree” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #32 of 82 hotels in Richmond
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Dogs barking in a sketchy location---not a true doubletree”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

Well after booking this through priceline, i did get the hotel for a good price for 3.5 star hotel, but I was shocked as soon as I arrived that this was not a 3.5 star hotel. I read these reviews beforehand, and I should have known this would be disasterous, but I thought maybe everyone who has a bad experience writes reviews on here.....not the case. This was more of a Radisson or a old school holiday inn that simply went through a facelift, and then branded a doubletree. The rooms are small, and the bathrooms are smaller. There seems to be some nice furniture in the rooms, and nice bathroom fixtures, but other than the facade of its quality, inside the hotel, the management, and the staff, it is all an attempt to cover it up to make the hotel appear better than it is.

When we arrived, they did have some people that were offering to take our bags, and I never really feel the need for anyone to do this, mostly because I can carry my own bags without feeling pressured to tip them for simply moving a cart up an elevator. It was awkward and I felt obligated, and never really had the chance to deny this service.

The lobby was dirty, had very dirty curtains, and the floors and windows were dirty as well. It had an ambiance of being a nice hotel, but in reality it was just a dirty, and poorly kept lobby, which is reflected in the rest of the hotel.

We got to the room, and as stated above it was extremely small, had two double beds, and a crazy small bathroom. The tv was a flatscreen, which on the outside give the impression of quality, but when it is turned on, the every other channel is not working, and the picture is horrible. About an hour into our visit, we noticed a lady that was whistling in the room next door. It was annoying because you could hear it as loud as if someone was in your own bathroom. At this point i was upset at the quality of the hotel, so I was already on the phone with doubletree, and this was added to the list, poor wall construction and lack of sound proofing. As soon as the whistling stopped, a dog started barking for 30 minutes straight. This set me off, so I called the hotel, and the informed me that there was not any other non-smoking rooms in the hotel. (my wife has asthma, so we cannot go into a smoking room). I called Doubletree's customer service line and spoke to the man again, and even held my phone up and allowed him to hear the dog barking. He again checked his system and there was no rooms available.

I followed the manager that attempted to stop the dog from barking downstairs. To which magically they had found 2 non-smoking rooms, because the dog barking was sandwiched in between our rooms. They gave us 2 king rooms. We packed up all of our stuff, and went up to those rooms, and immediately I was much happier.

However, once we got into those rooms, the bathroom lights in both of our rooms were out, and I wasn't going to call the maintenance man at 10pm to come up and replace the fluorescent bulbs. I dealt with it. Then in the morning, our shower wouldn't drain, so my wife and I were forced to shower with our feet in water--kinda gross.

The valet parking did have our van ready to go, and it wasn't broken in to or anything.

Overall, the hotel had poor quality, poor cleanliness, and even poorer management (lying) and I was extremely dissatisfied. I have tried to contact doubletree about getting my money back, because it just didn't seem right that we paid that money for an experience I could have gotten for a fraction of that price at a Motel 6.

do yourself a favor and stay clear of the doubletree in downtown richmond.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
melissajacks, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your reservation at the Doubletree Downtown Richmond.

Please let me apologize for any inconveniences you experienced at our hotel and that the manager on duty did not respond in an appropriate manner. We did receive your complaint thru Hilton's Customer Service line and did attempt to respond to you via email.

Thank you for these comments as they allow us to make corrections to our operation. Please feel free to call me or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can rectify the situation.

478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Richmond
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

This is the worst experience that I have ever had in any city that I have ever visited. Rugs are unclean... Folks had pets all over the place, which makes me wonder where the pets sleep (Floors or bed)? Our room and the hallway smells like smoke! Horrible customer service. Only double beds available for two nights. Save your money and stay somewhere else!!! Trust me, I wouldn't tell you anything wrong.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

We are a pet friendly hotel, but the pet rooms are only on certain floors and we do deep clean including shampooing the carpets after every pet. We just recently had all the carpets throughout the hotel cleaned and we do try our best to honor all guest requests for room types, etc.

Thank you for these comments as they allow us to make corrections to our operation. Please feel free to call me or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can ever be of service.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

When one stays at a Doubletree they expect more then just warm cookies. This Doubletree, though a great building, has a "rough around the edges" staff. They are all unhelpful and uneducated about the area. There is a washer/dryer in the building for the longer stays but it was never disclosed to me during my stay... even when I asked the front desk where the closest laundromat was. The staff is constantly and loudly complaining about their jobs and bosses infront of customers. The gym is small and the ceiling is low, but there are enough cardio machines to do a workout. The "shuttle" is non existent unless you are a flight crew so expect to taxi or eat at the local chipotle. The area is fine, but you really should expect more from a doubletree.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Please let me apologize for any lack of service you experienced at our hotel. We are recently under new management and have made changes to staff and improved our customer service training. Most of the time we have two shuttles running and try to accommodate as many people as we can.

Sedona, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We stayed here and thought that our room was quite comfortable. We saw no evidence of filth and bedbugs as detailed in another review. The hotel is in a rough part of downtown Richmond, and although only a block away from the top-rated Jefferson Hotel, this block makes quite a difference. You don't feel safe walking around here. I found the hotel to be somewhat neglected, looking like it isn't real busy, perhaps nearing the point where it is going to go out of business. Doubletree needs to come in here and look after the place a bit. We generally stay at the Omni Downtown Richmond (very highly recommended!). This place was just "OK" and nothing special, but at least the bed was nice and comfortable and there were plenty of good pillows.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

While we can not change our location, it is actually a positive in a lot of ways because we are surrounded by the Va Commonwealth University campus where the students are constantly walking and none of our employees or guests have ever had a problem. We are glad you enjoyed the Sweet Dreams by Doubletree bed.

Thank you for these comments, and please feel free to call me or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can ever be of service.
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Bed bug infestation. They were biting me all over my face and neck, I though I an allergic reaction. Went to the doctor and it was bed bug bits. Called my employer and they promiised to do something. I don'tunderstand why I keep being sent to that property, The restaurant food is gross. The critical violations on the vhd official website.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

I apologize if you were bitten while at our hotel. While it is not something a hotel can prevent, we are constantly having our rooms inspected and always follow the strict guidelines to ensure there is not a problem. Please know that your comments are reviewed with the entire team here so we can improve on our services in the future including in the Restaurant.

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

This was my second stay in the Doubletree Richmond. Nothing has changed much since then. It is still a good hotel, but not great. Location is great, especially for activities at VCU (which is why we were there this time), for the museums on Boulevard, or for Carytown. Location is not bad for activities in downtown Richmond. The restaurant is good for both the morning buffet and for room service breakfast, and not unreasonably priced. Even though we were next to the elevator, we didn't have much noise from outside the room. However, the toilet was one of the loudest I've ever heard, and I'm afraid my early morning activities disturbed my wife and son.

My biggest complaint is that there is no self-parking at the hotel, not much street parking nearby, and the valet parking is expensive.

This time I paid a bit more than the last time, actually more than I paid at the Westin Richmond a week later. The Westin is farther out, so is not as convenient, but while there is nothing wrong with the Doubletree, I think I'd take the Westin unless the Doubletree was enough cheaper to pay for the parking.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

We are glad you found our location to be convenient to VCU and all the other attractions Richmond has to offer. The comments about the bathroom have been reviewed with our maintenance team to ensure they are corrected. We all wish the parking downtown was more convenient and are constantly shopping around to make sure our valet prices remain lower than other places in the city.

Thank you for these comments, and please feel free to call or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can be ever be of service.
Charlottesville, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We planned to stay here overnight and booked through Expedia. Unfortunately, snow cancelled our trip. I called the hotel who said they were getting lots of cancellations but because the room was booked through Expedia we would need to call them. Expedia was willing to refund the room because the cancellation was due to weather. The hotel however, refused to allow the refund - apparently, if I had made the reservation directly through the hotel there would have been no issue! The manager also refused to return our phone calls. This was a hotel policy and NOT an Expedia policy but it sure makes me wonder about booking that way again. I will certainly not stay at the Doubletree in the future.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
tripdbl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Thank you about your comments regarding your reservation at the Doubletree – Downtown Richmond. We most certainly have seen more of our normal share of snow storms this season, and I was sorry to hear a storm impacted your travels to our city.

I apologize that you were not refunded for this unexpected cancellation. We actually are very understanding when severe weather impacts travel unexpectedly. I am sorry we did not rectify your concerns to your satisfaction, as well a manager did not get back to you in a timely fashion. Please know your comments are reviewed with the entire team here so we can improve on our services in the future.

Thank you for these comments, and please feel free to call me, or email me at john.cario@hilton.com to rectify this concern.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!