“Don't waste your money...(Bad Room, Bad Customer Service, Smells like smoke.)” 1 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #34 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Richmond
“Don't waste your money...(Bad Room, Bad Customer Service, Smells like smoke.)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

This is the worst experience that I have ever had in any city that I have ever visited. Rugs are unclean... Folks had pets all over the place, which makes me wonder where the pets sleep (Floors or bed)? Our room and the hallway smells like smoke! Horrible customer service. Only double beds available for two nights. Save your money and stay somewhere else!!! Trust me, I wouldn't tell you anything wrong.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
melissajacks, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your reservation at the Doubletree Downtown Richmond.

We are a pet friendly hotel, but the pet rooms are only on certain floors and we do deep clean including shampooing the carpets after every pet. We just recently had all the carpets throughout the hotel cleaned and we do try our best to honor all guest requests for room types, etc.

Thank you for these comments as they allow us to make corrections to our operation. Please feel free to call me or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can ever be of service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

When one stays at a Doubletree they expect more then just warm cookies. This Doubletree, though a great building, has a "rough around the edges" staff. They are all unhelpful and uneducated about the area. There is a washer/dryer in the building for the longer stays but it was never disclosed to me during my stay... even when I asked the front desk where the closest laundromat was. The staff is constantly and loudly complaining about their jobs and bosses infront of customers. The gym is small and the ceiling is low, but there are enough cardio machines to do a workout. The "shuttle" is non existent unless you are a flight crew so expect to taxi or eat at the local chipotle. The area is fine, but you really should expect more from a doubletree.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Please let me apologize for any lack of service you experienced at our hotel. We are recently under new management and have made changes to staff and improved our customer service training. Most of the time we have two shuttles running and try to accommodate as many people as we can.

Sedona, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We stayed here and thought that our room was quite comfortable. We saw no evidence of filth and bedbugs as detailed in another review. The hotel is in a rough part of downtown Richmond, and although only a block away from the top-rated Jefferson Hotel, this block makes quite a difference. You don't feel safe walking around here. I found the hotel to be somewhat neglected, looking like it isn't real busy, perhaps nearing the point where it is going to go out of business. Doubletree needs to come in here and look after the place a bit. We generally stay at the Omni Downtown Richmond (very highly recommended!). This place was just "OK" and nothing special, but at least the bed was nice and comfortable and there were plenty of good pillows.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

While we can not change our location, it is actually a positive in a lot of ways because we are surrounded by the Va Commonwealth University campus where the students are constantly walking and none of our employees or guests have ever had a problem. We are glad you enjoyed the Sweet Dreams by Doubletree bed.

Thank you for these comments, and please feel free to call me or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can ever be of service.
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Bed bug infestation. They were biting me all over my face and neck, I though I an allergic reaction. Went to the doctor and it was bed bug bits. Called my employer and they promiised to do something. I don'tunderstand why I keep being sent to that property, The restaurant food is gross. The critical violations on the vhd official website.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

I apologize if you were bitten while at our hotel. While it is not something a hotel can prevent, we are constantly having our rooms inspected and always follow the strict guidelines to ensure there is not a problem. Please know that your comments are reviewed with the entire team here so we can improve on our services in the future including in the Restaurant.

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

This was my second stay in the Doubletree Richmond. Nothing has changed much since then. It is still a good hotel, but not great. Location is great, especially for activities at VCU (which is why we were there this time), for the museums on Boulevard, or for Carytown. Location is not bad for activities in downtown Richmond. The restaurant is good for both the morning buffet and for room service breakfast, and not unreasonably priced. Even though we were next to the elevator, we didn't have much noise from outside the room. However, the toilet was one of the loudest I've ever heard, and I'm afraid my early morning activities disturbed my wife and son.

My biggest complaint is that there is no self-parking at the hotel, not much street parking nearby, and the valet parking is expensive.

This time I paid a bit more than the last time, actually more than I paid at the Westin Richmond a week later. The Westin is farther out, so is not as convenient, but while there is nothing wrong with the Doubletree, I think I'd take the Westin unless the Doubletree was enough cheaper to pay for the parking.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

We are glad you found our location to be convenient to VCU and all the other attractions Richmond has to offer. The comments about the bathroom have been reviewed with our maintenance team to ensure they are corrected. We all wish the parking downtown was more convenient and are constantly shopping around to make sure our valet prices remain lower than other places in the city.

Thank you for these comments, and please feel free to call or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can be ever be of service.
Charlottesville, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We planned to stay here overnight and booked through Expedia. Unfortunately, snow cancelled our trip. I called the hotel who said they were getting lots of cancellations but because the room was booked through Expedia we would need to call them. Expedia was willing to refund the room because the cancellation was due to weather. The hotel however, refused to allow the refund - apparently, if I had made the reservation directly through the hotel there would have been no issue! The manager also refused to return our phone calls. This was a hotel policy and NOT an Expedia policy but it sure makes me wonder about booking that way again. I will certainly not stay at the Doubletree in the future.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
tripdbl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Thank you about your comments regarding your reservation at the Doubletree – Downtown Richmond. We most certainly have seen more of our normal share of snow storms this season, and I was sorry to hear a storm impacted your travels to our city.

I apologize that you were not refunded for this unexpected cancellation. We actually are very understanding when severe weather impacts travel unexpectedly. I am sorry we did not rectify your concerns to your satisfaction, as well a manager did not get back to you in a timely fashion. Please know your comments are reviewed with the entire team here so we can improve on our services in the future.

Thank you for these comments, and please feel free to call me, or email me at john.cario@hilton.com to rectify this concern.
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

We had our company Christmas party, the party was set up very nicely and the food was devine. I stayed in the hotel and my accomodations were great. The room was comfortable and relaxing. The associates at this hotel were very helpful and polite. I definetly will use them anytime I need a place to go.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
tripdbl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, January 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that your recent stay at the Doubletree Richmond was "fantastic". Our goal is to "provide exceptionally warm and caring service" and we are glad we accomplished this. We look forward to your future visits should your travels, or holiday events return you to the area and the Doubletree.

Sincerely, John Cario - General Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!