“Location near VCU is great, hotel is good” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #32 of 80 hotels in Richmond
Alexandria, Virginia
“Location near VCU is great, hotel is good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

This was my second stay in the Doubletree Richmond. Nothing has changed much since then. It is still a good hotel, but not great. Location is great, especially for activities at VCU (which is why we were there this time), for the museums on Boulevard, or for Carytown. Location is not bad for activities in downtown Richmond. The restaurant is good for both the morning buffet and for room service breakfast, and not unreasonably priced. Even though we were next to the elevator, we didn't have much noise from outside the room. However, the toilet was one of the loudest I've ever heard, and I'm afraid my early morning activities disturbed my wife and son.

My biggest complaint is that there is no self-parking at the hotel, not much street parking nearby, and the valet parking is expensive.

This time I paid a bit more than the last time, actually more than I paid at the Westin Richmond a week later. The Westin is farther out, so is not as convenient, but while there is nothing wrong with the Doubletree, I think I'd take the Westin unless the Doubletree was enough cheaper to pay for the parking.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
melissajacks, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your reservation at the Doubletree Downtown Richmond.

We are glad you found our location to be convenient to VCU and all the other attractions Richmond has to offer. The comments about the bathroom have been reviewed with our maintenance team to ensure they are corrected. We all wish the parking downtown was more convenient and are constantly shopping around to make sure our valet prices remain lower than other places in the city.

Thank you for these comments, and please feel free to call or email me at melissa.jackson@hilton.com, if I can be ever be of service.

456 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Charlottesville, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

We planned to stay here overnight and booked through Expedia. Unfortunately, snow cancelled our trip. I called the hotel who said they were getting lots of cancellations but because the room was booked through Expedia we would need to call them. Expedia was willing to refund the room because the cancellation was due to weather. The hotel however, refused to allow the refund - apparently, if I had made the reservation directly through the hotel there would have been no issue! The manager also refused to return our phone calls. This was a hotel policy and NOT an Expedia policy but it sure makes me wonder about booking that way again. I will certainly not stay at the Doubletree in the future.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
tripdbl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Thank you about your comments regarding your reservation at the Doubletree – Downtown Richmond. We most certainly have seen more of our normal share of snow storms this season, and I was sorry to hear a storm impacted your travels to our city.

I apologize that you were not refunded for this unexpected cancellation. We actually are very understanding when severe weather impacts travel unexpectedly. I am sorry we did not rectify your concerns to your satisfaction, as well a manager did not get back to you in a timely fashion. Please know your comments are reviewed with the entire team here so we can improve on our services in the future.

Thank you for these comments, and please feel free to call me, or email me at john.cario@hilton.com to rectify this concern.
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

We had our company Christmas party, the party was set up very nicely and the food was devine. I stayed in the hotel and my accomodations were great. The room was comfortable and relaxing. The associates at this hotel were very helpful and polite. I definetly will use them anytime I need a place to go.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
tripdbl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, January 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that your recent stay at the Doubletree Richmond was "fantastic". Our goal is to "provide exceptionally warm and caring service" and we are glad we accomplished this. We look forward to your future visits should your travels, or holiday events return you to the area and the Doubletree.

Sincerely, John Cario - General Manager
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

Good-size rooms, fast elevators. Iffy location, but at least close to the good restaurants at the Thomas Jefferson. Carpets stained, tub with painted over cracks. Snack store never open. Decent bar, so-so food. Full during the local marathon. Not sure it would be otherwise.

• Stayed November 2009
tripdbl, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, December 16, 2009
Thank you about your comments regarding your stay at the Doubletree – Downtown Richmond. We welcome and appreciate our guests comments as this is the best way for us to continue to improve our operation.

I apologize that your stay with us was less than you expected, and will address your noted concerns. Please know your comments are reviewed with the entire team here so we can address our guests concerns and improve on our services in the future.

Thank you for your feedback. If you have other comments or suggestions for our hotel, please feel free to email me at john.cario@hilton.com. I do hope to have an opportunity to show we can do much better.
Huron, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

nice folks and lobby/bar area, but room had lots of carpet staining, chair stains, HUGE room, but bathrooms was so tiny you couldnt shut the door and stand at sink or toilet...little frig and microwave just sit stacked at the side like a dorm (no cabinet), no hangers in closet, furnitre finish in bath and room needs re-done (looked very old and worn, towels were old and rough, sheets didnt fit bed or stay tucked in and were thread bare. Not like most of the many Doubletrees we stay in.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Thank you about your comments regarding your stay at the Doubletree – Downtown Richmond. We appreciate your positive comments on our lobby / bar team, as well will address your other noted items.

Please know your comments are reviewed with the entire team here so we can address our guests concerns and improve on our services in the future, while also recognizing some of our star performers.

If you have other comments or suggestions for our hotel, please feel free to email me at john.cario@hilton.com. I look forward to your future Richmond visit.
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Stayed here when it was a Radisson, and it needed a change. Booked here earlier this year after the change to a Doubletree and had some issues. I expressed my concerns to Mgmt. and they offered me a good rate when I returned. Most recent visit a total change-over! Great front desk, roomy, clean, comfortable room (the corner kings are very spacious) at great rate for downtown, with all the amenities in fine working order. Excellent food and service at "301", the restaurant/lounge in the lobby. Very close to VCU and a quick shuttle to the nightlife in Shockoe or Church Hill. And don't forget the free warm cookies at check-in! Much more personal than the Marriott or Omni.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Thank you about your comments regarding your stay at the Doubletree – Downtown Richmond. We sincerely appreciate your recent visit and thank you for recognizing our efforts to continually improve our operation.

We look forward to your next Doubletree - Richmond visit.

John Cario & Team
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

Richmond was added to my sales territory just this year and I have been traveling there regularly since then. I stayed at a few different hotels before I found the Doubletree. Now I won't stay anywhere else. It is in a wonderful safe and charming location. The lobby is a nice intimate size and not overpowering (feeling like a train station) like so many hotels. The rooms are a great size, nicely decorated, and very clean and comfortable. The staff is always so friendly and helpful. You can tell that they try to remember their regulars. They have a hotel van that drops me off at a local restaurant and then comes back to pick me up. Now they even have a computer in the lobby that gives great info on the local restaurants with pictures and menus, etc. In General, this is a really great hotel choice for Richmond. Very Guest Oriented. I just wish I could give the same review in all the towns I travel to.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!