“Terrible customer service and upkeep” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #32 of 82 hotels in Richmond
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Terrible customer service and upkeep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Checked into our room as part of a wedding block and never received our welcome bag from the bride and groom. The carpet was moist from what I suspect was humidity. However they are a pet friendly hotel and have carpeting eww. Rust in the bathroom, the bathroom door handle appeared to have been kicked in (wood around handle cracked and splintered). Paint chips everywhere. Carpeting on threshold frayed. Trash by main entrance to hotel with plenty of employees standing around doing nothing about it. They place pets in rooms not located on their pet friendly floor, which can cause issues. Would recommend going elsewhere. Anywhere but here.

Stayed August 2014
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Claire L,

We’re sorry we didn't provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel or associates, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel as your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback as it encourages improvement for future stays. For this reason, we hope to see you again.

475 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Carpets on my floor were disgusting. Bathroom was a joke as you had to walk in and stand next to toilet to close the door. Fitness center needs more equipment and larger room. Place was a dump for what I paid.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Tim L,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you chose our hotel during your recent stay in the area and we apologize for the housekeeping problems you experienced.

Because of your comments we are making a concentrated effort to ensure that all carpets are cleaned throughout the hotel in order to deliver a cleanliness experience our guests deserve; but we clearly missed the mark during your visit.

Please forgive us. We hope you will give us another chance if you visit this area in the future.

raleigh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I truly enjoyed my stay at the doubletree it was my first time staying at the hotel and my experience was truly memorable. The whole staff was very friendly from the time I arrived with the valet service to staff in restaurant. Room exceeded my expectations and valet manager was exceptionally with service directions and dinner choices. The front desk staff was friendly and the cookie was so delicious. I would definitely stay here again

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

ConcordHospitality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Patrice H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. It is encouraging to hear that your stay was enjoyable; our associates strive to provide a pleasant experience. Your kind comments are appreciated and we look forward to a return visit.

Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We literally stayed there last night as we dropped our kid off at College. The Mrs. stayed there during orientation back in July and the proximity to the college made this a must stay. Well, we should have took our chances on another place.

we checked in around 4pm and then went and took the kid's stuff to her dorm. We arrived back around 9pm to find the nextdoor guest had a dog that was barking. We were on a floor that strictly prohibited dogs, but there it was. I could not turn on the tv, listen to music, sit on the bed, drink water, or anything without this dog going off just right next door. I tried!

I called the front desk and asked the young lady (Alisha or Ashley) to change our room. I told her I refused to stay and compete with that dog. She HUNG UP THE PHONE ON ME. This was the same young lady that was on the telephone every time we walked by the front desk. When I called back and asked for the manager she said he was busy and hung up on me again!

we went downstairs to speak to the manager, and although he accused me of not listening to him when he tried to explain himself (kind of hard to trust someone when the last interface with the place ended in two hung up phone calls after I spent $150.00 for one night and a yapping dog). Once he realized that I was calm, but firm in that I would not sleep in that room he tried to work it out. He ended up finding us a room in another hotel in town. When we finally got over there and got settled the night was salvaged.

I recommend they have someone on the other end of their calls that don't cost them money. I may have been willing to work something out because Michael at the Front Desk was kind and tried to help us as well as the food service manager Mark, but once someone hangs up on you, the person that was on personal calls each time we walked in, can you blame us for wanting to even sleep in a car rather than stay there.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend getaway. The pros: nice lobby area with bar, rooftop pool, and a free shuttle. The cons: very outdated decor in rooms, room keys didn't always work, forced to valet car. The valet guys were nice, but the front desk was just average. The room had ugly wallpaper that was peeling off of the walls, unidentified stains on the wall and the curtain and a very dirty window. I've stayed at a few Doubletrees and this would go toward the bottom of the list, but still not bad. The price for the room was pretty good. The location is a far walk from the Shockoe area, but close to VCU. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. Despite staying on a lower floor, the area is not very noisy so we were relatively undisturbed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Jay P,

It’s nice to hear from you. Your sincere review, which highlights strengths and areas for improvement, is extremely valuable as it allows us to improve future guest experiences. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Apex, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

When I booked this hotel, I was not aware that it is one that allow pets to stay and I will certainly be more aware of details like that in the future. My first impression when I arrived late in the evening was that it was much smaller than I had expected and it was located in a less than festive part of town. This quickly curtailed my hope that I could grab a bite outside of the hotel. Parking is valet only and although they allow you to take your car in and out at will, it is a wait depending on how many people are going in and out in front of you and how many valets they have on duty. I wanted to get into my room and get settled in so I opted to just stay in and grab a bite in the lounge. Unfortunately, neither of the room keys I was given worked so I came back down to the front desk for help. Both front desk experiences were good. The lounge and the lobby are pretty much the same so this gave me a front seat to people watch as I was eating. Watching all the owners and their dogs going in and out, I realized I had never actually stayed in a hotel that allowed pets. It was interesting to say the least. Meanwhile, my late night snack was excellent and I must say the bartender on duty was friendly, professional and attentive. However, he rooms here are in DESPERATE need of a makeover and made me feel like I was staying in a much lower budget hotel. The age of the elevator didn't really concern me as much, but the absence of an arrival ding in the lobby means I accidentally missed it at times because I didn't realize one of the doors had opened. Overall this was an ok hotel, but I doubt I will actually book it again unless I have a dog traveling with me. I realized during my short stay that while I am always looking for the deal, I am willing to pay a few more bucks for an updated hotel in the heart of the city where I can venture out on foot and not have to be dependent on my valet parked car. P.S. The warm cookies I received on arrival were amazing and I'm sure I gained at least one pound that night!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Race2Win,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm glad you enjoyed our food and service. Many hotels are pet friendly and require a pet cleaning fee to deep clean the room after our furry friends check-out. Your sincere review, which highlights areas for improvement, is extremely valuable as it allows us to improve future guest experiences. For this reason, we hope to see you again.

Washington, DC, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My room key didn't work several times, this was annoying. Also, I was asked by the bell hop to remind the next shift that I was leaving at 3:30 am and to have my car waiting. WHAT? What happened to e-mail and text messaging? Otherwise, my stay was good.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

T. Sherwood R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I was glad to know your stay was good overall. I’m terribly sorry to hear that you had ongoing issues with your room key. I’m sure this was frustrating; please accept my apology. Your sincere comments, which highlight our successes and areas for improvement, are appreciated as they foster change for the better. For this reason, I hope to see you on a return visit.

Toni Pinto

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!