“Worst Doubletree/Way Below Standard” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #28 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“Worst Doubletree/Way Below Standard”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The rooms were basically about the standard to which I would expect an low budget motel to be. Bed was saggy when you got into it, the toilet had to be flushed 2-3 times to get anything down, rugs were stained and torn. While the downstairs looks nice and friendly staff, when I stay at a Doubletree, which we do numerous times a year, we always feel like we are staying in a 4-5 star hotel, but this one, was not Hilton Quality at all. For what you pay, along with mandatory $20.00 a day to park and tipping valet on top of that, never again. This is the first time a Doubletree has actually disgusted me. Breakfast buffet looked great, but the eggs and meat were cold on top of everything else! It's too bad because the location was great.

Room Tip: I'd choose a different hotel unless they get new beds and do some room renovations!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear J H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments regarding the sleeping room and breakfast. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

437 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Fenton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Hotel in very central location, walking distance to VCU campus, many eateries nearby. PROs: location, comfy beds, quiet floor & cookies upon arrival. Restaurant staff very friendly, nice hot breakfast buffet. Free shuttle service too. Few CONs: Our double bed room temp was cold (63 deg) upon arrival, decor dated, with old stains on carpet. Ice machine on floor out of order. Overall, central location, good value with breakfast buffet package. Would stay again

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

ConcordHospitality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thanks for your review and recommendation. We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know you enjoyed your stay and the level of service we deliver. Your feedback provides us with areas of opportunity for improvement in addition to motivation for our team. Please come see us again!

Columbia, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The two things that stand out at this hotel are the super friendly staff and the wonderful shower. All of the folks we encountered from the lobby bartender to the front desk to the shuttle drivers were some of the most genuinely nice people I have ever encountered at a hotel.

And the shower was absolutely wonderful. Great water pressure and full on shower head. I'm guessing their guests really run up the water bill!

Having said that, everything else was just a bit "off. (I'll offer a few tips on this below.) Nice new countertops in the bathroom were offset by a slightly dripping (but not annoying) faucet and a tricky toilet to flush. Air conditioning worked fine, once you could figure out how to work it.

The bedroom furniture seemed fairly new but the carpet perhaps has had one frat party too many. Lamps were updated to include outlets for your phone chargers but no other outlets were very convenient for a tablet or laptop. No safe for your valuables. It's like they have updated the rooms just enough to get by and perhaps a bit less than you would expect from a DoubleTree.

So, a few tips:
If you are bringing electronics, bring a "monster plug." (Another Trip Advisor member turned me onto this wonderful device. Just search for it on Amazon and take it with you everywhere if you are a power hog.)

Bring something to keep the curtains pushed back above the air conditioning unit so the air doesn't go up in them--a heavy pair of shoes will work!

Look for a parking space nearby before you just valet park. You might get lucky and it will save you $20 a night. (Be sure to check your bill - they just automatically add it in, I think.)

Use the hotel shuttle (but let the front desk know in advance) - all you need to pay is a tip. Likely you'll get good advice on what to see in Richmond, too.

And a request to the DoubleTree--(and EVERY other hotel I have ever stayed at), please MORE hooks in the bathroom and larger trash cans.

Despite the minor flaws, this hotel is just down the street from The Jefferson and so much less expensive. Revel in the savings! (The Jefferson is definitely worth a visit though.)

Oh, and a few tips on Richmond...
Go see the capitol if you can - beautiful and worth a shuttle trip.
Triple Crossing Brewery is within walking distance of the hotel and fun to visit.
The Canal walk has some wonderful street art as do other neighborhoods in Richmond. Keep your eyes peeled!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff. Your feedback provides us with areas of opportunity for improvement in addition to motivation for our team. Please come see us again!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel was okay... I mean it was nothing that blew me away. The lobby was nice , but the rest of the hotel was rather run down. I felt that it was missing basic amentities like refrigeration. The shuttle service however was very efficient!

Richmond Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The staff was very professional and very helpful to all of my needs. The staff was very knowledgeable about the surrounding areas. I would recommend this hotel with high marks. The shuttle service was very helpful to use to get around to some of the eating establishments.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Nathan,

We're happy to hear from you, and we're glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's great to learn that you enjoyed shuttle service and found our staff helpful in addition to our convenient location. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to the area!

Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I want to give a big thank you to Michael, who helped us make our reservation. This hotel is in the middle of everything we wanted to do and see. Michael was great in helping us with everything. The property sits directly in front of Virginia Commonwealth University (depending on which direction you are coming from), and has a rooftop pool, so the views at night are fantastic! We did not use the spa so cannot comment on it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing your kind review with us and other travelers. It’s nice to know you enjoyed our convenient location and roof top pool. I’m glad our staff was accommodating. It’s encouraging to hear that our hard work is affecting the guest experience. I look forward to sharing your kind comments with Michael! Thank you taking the time to write.

Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I would like to thank Michael for being very professional and courteous. I had three reservations and was trying to decide which hotel I wanted to stay in. This hotel had the worst reviews of all three. I still hadn't decided which hotel I was going to stay in because the rates were about the same, and the locations were very close to each other, so it made it even harder to choose. On the plus side, even though I am driving to Richmond, the Doubletree had a shuttle and the only hotel that had one available this particular weekend, and I know I had a million and one questions for Michael and I was doing a lot of comparisons while we were on the phone, not once did it appear that we were wasting his time. I found him to be very pleasant and helpful. My only other prayer is that the hotel meet my expectations since there are so many negative comments.
Looking forward to the stay. Lateefah

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Lateefah,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I am so pleased that Michael was accommodating and able to answer all your questions. I will be sure to share your kind feedback with him. We look forward to seeing you in August and please don’t hesitate to call us if we can provide you with more information. See you soon.

Toni Pinto, GM

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!