“recent stay for work” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“recent stay for work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

recently stayed here for a seminar I was attending for work. . .the hotel overall was average, rooms were clean & sufficient but nothing extraordinary about it, room rate was a bit overpriced . The staff, however, was wonderful. . .everyone was very friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
TeresaAponte,
Thank you for writing a review. We are pleased to have had you stay with us at the Doubletree while attending a nearby seminar. I appreciate your kind comments about our friendly staff and their excellence in service. We have a special team here that is dedicated to providing a memorable experience to each guest. We enjoyed having you as our guest and we hope you'll visit us again. Thank you again for writing.

372 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Cobleskill, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The stay here was for one night and it was okay. We booked a room with one king, but got a room with two doubles. I don't know if it's because that's just how it happened or the person checking us in thought my boyfriend and I really weren't a couple. People tend to assume I'm his caretaker because he's in a wheelchair. The room was supposed to be handicap accessible, but the bathroom was certainly not accessible for anyone in a wheelchair. Also, if you do valet parking, it's $18.00, just as a head's up.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
tdoodler,
Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially about areas where we can improve. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to fulfill your initial request of a king room and any inconveniences you or your boyfriend encountered during your visit. We value you as our guest and hope you’ll have an opportunity to stay with us again. Thank you again for writing.

Kissimmee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed there while attending a conference held there. I'd never stayed in a DoubleTree before, but since it is a Hilton brand, I figured it would be good. The desk staff was very friendly, greeting me with a wonderful warm cookie and my keys came with a hand written, personal note thanking me for staying with them! Friendly staff was an ongoing theme for the 3 days I stayed. The bartender in the lounge (Milton?) was great as was the restaurant staff. I had issues with the heater in my room (same as another reviewer had) but they sent maintenance up very quickly. Turns out that there was a thermostat on the wall that I'd not seen, so he adjusted the temp for me and was very kind! (I felt like a complete idiot, but he said it happens frequently)
Yes, it is an older hotel and could use some upgrades, but it's just little things. Aside from a bathroom door that wouldn't close my room was clean and comfortable, and when I left a note asking housekeeping for an extra hair conditioner and extra creamers, they were left for me no problem. I ate at the hotel and found the food to be average, but not bad, again the staff was great! (I did think that the breakfast buffet just wasn't worth it when the regular menu was much better! )
If I ever get back to Richmond, I'd probably stay there again, and would recommend it to someone.

Room Tip: Room #1418's bathroom door doesn't close, but was very quiet!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
gpisces,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at the Doubletree. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while in town attending a conference. I’m happy to hear that you found your room clean and comfortable for your stay, as well as our friendly staff helpful and accommodating to your requests. We appreciate your recommendations and letting future travelers know about our great hotel and staff. We hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

CATONSVILLE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here for our trip to Richmond to tour VCU. The hotel is near campus, plus there are some great restaurants within a couple blocks of the hotel. Everything was great, we'll definitely be back again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

ANDREW G,
It’s great to hear from you! We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at the Doubletree. I hope you had a great time touring VCU and we’re happy to know you’ll be back to visit. We look forward to seeing you again! Thank you again for writing.

United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Very nice hotel, good value, and great location. Arrived in Richmond at 7:15 for an 8:00 show at the Landmark theater, got checked in quickly, changed, and shuttle was ready to take us to the theater with 10 minutes to spare! Would do again on next visit to Richmond.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

ConcordHospitality, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
A TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while in town for a show at the Landmark Theater. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, our hotel and our responsive shuttle service. I hope you had a great time at the show. Please visit us again soon at the Doubletree. Thank you again for writing.

Ft. Worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First room we had, the bathtub didn't drain. Maintenance came quickly, banged around in the bathroom for awhile and about the time I requested another room, someone was coming with a key to another room. Glad it wasn't the morning when we were trying to get out before we realized that the tub wouldn't drain. Second room, heating problem. Fan was going full blast, cold air when it was pretty cold outside. Called maintenance again (they were still around from the bathtub down the hall) and was told we couldn't control it from the unit but on the wall. Never got the temp right but we weren't in the room much. The last morning (of two) we woke up to a very cold room so I called maintenance. This time I was told that a breaker had blown. Disassembled heating/a/c unit at 7 a.m. : ( Maintenance set the temp and the room warms up--to 85 degrees! We were trying to get out of town and I was tired of dealing with it so we left. Valet: Used it the first night and it was great. The next morning, I called down to have the car ready in 15 minutes, we went down in that time and waited an additional 30 minutes or so for the car. Very frustrating for the $18 charge. We didn't use the valet parking the 2nd night and found a place on the street. Good news--each time I called, maintenance came quickly. At the end the front desk manager did her best to make it right and we settled on taking a night off the bill. Probably a fluke, will probably stay here again because my daughter will be in school nearby but I'll check out the facilities of the room first and make sure I'm in a functioning room before I unpack.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Renee B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
jojo0826,
Thank you for your review on your stay with us at DoubleTree Hotel. I apologize for the maintenance issues you encountered during your stay. I’m sorry to hear we were not consistently able to meet your expectations with our valet service. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here last evening while waiting for my daughter to have our first grandson, and I found it an absolutely excellent home away from home for this tired grandmother to be. I called for a shuttle to pick me up from MCV-VCU Hospital at 10:45 PM when I was told that it would be another 2-3 hours until the birth, and the driver was there by the time I made it down to the front door of the Gateway Building. When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted with a smile, a warm cookie and given a nicer room than I had actually reserved. Thanks! I enjoyed a VERY fairly priced glass of wine served up by the very friendly bartender at the lobby bar which allowed to unwind a bit while I enjoyed the use of the in-lobby computers before heading up to bed. The bed was so incredibly comfortable, and I was actually able to sleep soundly between text messages from the hospital. Once my grandson arrived at a little after 1 AM, I feel into a very deep and restful sleep in my quiet and comfortable room. When I was ready to return to the hospital to meet the new little fellow and congratulate my daughter and son-in-law before 8 the next morning, the shuttle was right there to take me over, and I was ready to go thanks to the two delicious coffees I made with my in-room coffee maker. I recommend this hotel without hesitation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bianca M,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review on your stay with us at DoubleTree Hotel and congratulations on the birth of your first grandson! I’m happy to hear that our hotel offered all comforts you needed as your home away from home and the shuttle service was readily available for your trips to the hospital. We appreciate you recommending our great hotel and staff to future travels and we hope you and your family will visit us again soon. Thanks again for writing.

Toni Pinto, General Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!