“Facilities issues, prompt staff (except for valet)” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #28 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Ft. Worth
“Facilities issues, prompt staff (except for valet)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First room we had, the bathtub didn't drain. Maintenance came quickly, banged around in the bathroom for awhile and about the time I requested another room, someone was coming with a key to another room. Glad it wasn't the morning when we were trying to get out before we realized that the tub wouldn't drain. Second room, heating problem. Fan was going full blast, cold air when it was pretty cold outside. Called maintenance again (they were still around from the bathtub down the hall) and was told we couldn't control it from the unit but on the wall. Never got the temp right but we weren't in the room much. The last morning (of two) we woke up to a very cold room so I called maintenance. This time I was told that a breaker had blown. Disassembled heating/a/c unit at 7 a.m. : ( Maintenance set the temp and the room warms up--to 85 degrees! We were trying to get out of town and I was tired of dealing with it so we left. Valet: Used it the first night and it was great. The next morning, I called down to have the car ready in 15 minutes, we went down in that time and waited an additional 30 minutes or so for the car. Very frustrating for the $18 charge. We didn't use the valet parking the 2nd night and found a place on the street. Good news--each time I called, maintenance came quickly. At the end the front desk manager did her best to make it right and we settled on taking a night off the bill. Probably a fluke, will probably stay here again because my daughter will be in school nearby but I'll check out the facilities of the room first and make sure I'm in a functioning room before I unpack.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Renee B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
jojo0826,
Thank you for your review on your stay with us at DoubleTree Hotel. I apologize for the maintenance issues you encountered during your stay. I’m sorry to hear we were not consistently able to meet your expectations with our valet service. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here last evening while waiting for my daughter to have our first grandson, and I found it an absolutely excellent home away from home for this tired grandmother to be. I called for a shuttle to pick me up from MCV-VCU Hospital at 10:45 PM when I was told that it would be another 2-3 hours until the birth, and the driver was there by the time I made it down to the front door of the Gateway Building. When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted with a smile, a warm cookie and given a nicer room than I had actually reserved. Thanks! I enjoyed a VERY fairly priced glass of wine served up by the very friendly bartender at the lobby bar which allowed to unwind a bit while I enjoyed the use of the in-lobby computers before heading up to bed. The bed was so incredibly comfortable, and I was actually able to sleep soundly between text messages from the hospital. Once my grandson arrived at a little after 1 AM, I feel into a very deep and restful sleep in my quiet and comfortable room. When I was ready to return to the hospital to meet the new little fellow and congratulate my daughter and son-in-law before 8 the next morning, the shuttle was right there to take me over, and I was ready to go thanks to the two delicious coffees I made with my in-room coffee maker. I recommend this hotel without hesitation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bianca M,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review on your stay with us at DoubleTree Hotel and congratulations on the birth of your first grandson! I’m happy to hear that our hotel offered all comforts you needed as your home away from home and the shuttle service was readily available for your trips to the hospital. We appreciate you recommending our great hotel and staff to future travels and we hope you and your family will visit us again soon. Thanks again for writing.

Kaneohe, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

A friend and I recently met in Richmond to see Louis CK. and picked this hotel for its proximity to the Landmark Theater & local bars. If walking isn't your thing ... the Double Tree hotel offers a free shuttle to local attractions and will also arrange a free pick up. The hotel's bar is open till 2am (perhaps only on weekends) and is a great place to end the night and socialize!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
zendiscordia,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at DoubleTree Hotel Historic Richmond. I hope you and your friend had a great time seeing Louis CK! I’m happy to know our hotel provided the convenient location you hoped for on your trip. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Picked this hotel to stay while in Richmond to see Billy Elliot at the Landmark Theater. I had hoped that it was close enough to walk to the theater. The walk is actually very short and plenty of people had the same idea. Hotel staff at check-in were very pleasant and efficient as were the valet staff. Your choices for parking are either valet or take your luck finding a street spot. Richmond is not a place that I am particularly fond of leaving my car on the street, so valet it was. This is the only reason the hotel did not earn an excellent. I never give a hotel that doesn't offer self parking a 5/5.

The room was clean and comfortable, what you would expect from Doubletree. They do offer free internet. I am not sure that I have ever stayed a a Doubletree in the past that didn't charge for internet. This was a pleasant plus.

I would stay here again and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TRVLallover,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review and sharing your experience at DoubleTree Hotel Historic Richmond. I hope you had a great time seeing Billy Elliot at the Landmark Theater! I’m pleased to hear that our staff was pleasant and efficient. I appreciate your feedback and apologize that the parking did not meet your expectations. As in most large cities, parking is typically a valet service due to the nature of the destination. Thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends and family. We hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again.

Raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was a great stay. Upon my arrival I was welcomed with a smile AND a warm cookie.
My room was clean and spacious. Food in the Restaurant was good. Service was very good. Anita I think her name was. very relaxed and well informed of menu options.
Nice to have Starbucks in hotel lobby, that was a treat.
It was great to be so close to VCU I could walk right across the street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chef W,
Great to hear from you! We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at DoubleTree Hotel. I’m pleased to know that the service, food and cleanliness of our rooms met your expectations. I’ll make sure Anita receives a special commendation for her outstanding service in the restaurant. Please come back to visit us again soon. The warm cookies will be waiting for your arrival!

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Richmond for the weekend and we stayed here. We have no complaints. Everyone was very nice and helpful and the location was pretty close to ideal. The rooms were comfy and the bar downstairs was a great place to find out where to go and get our night started.

We were close to bars and restaurants. We even walked down to the river and the park. I wouldn't recommend some people though. It's pretty far.

I'd love to come back and stay again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
gomerk,
We're happy to hear from you and glad you enjoyed your stay with us at DoubleTree. It's great to hear that the rooms were comfortable for your weekend stay and the location allowed you to explore the city by foot. We hope you visit us again soon. Thank you again.

Roswell, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel looks good when you come in the door, but the rooms are shabby. Room carpets are frayed, furniture is old, and the water pipes are very noisy. The breakfast buffet was not great. The eggs were dried out, plus it was pretty pricey at $14. They do have a shuttle van that will take you pretty much wherever you want to go. The whole experience was not really what I expect of a Doubletree. I would not stay here again.

The hotel is right at the edge of the VCU campus. The area immediately around the hotel felt safe enough, but I walked back from a restaurant along Broad Street, and it seemed a little sketchy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!