“Not Bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Baltimore, MD
“Not Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Booked on priceline and stayed for one night over the weekend. The valet service as prviously noted by other reviewers does seem a bit out of sorts at $18/day. If street parking is available I would recommend that route. We had a very spacious corner king room, but there were a few things that reflected how dated the hotel is with the need for room renovations. We had red stains on the comforter of our bed, dark stains on the carpeting, a stained lamp shade in the corner of the room, and a worn chair that fabric was shedding off of...not exactly the grandest of first impressions. But for one night we weren't going to complain. The staff was courteous and helpful and all in all it was a decent stay.

Room Tip: Good location if you're visiting VCU. Corner rooms are large!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
HotelHopper25,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you chose to stay with us at Doubletree Hotel. I'm pleased to receive your feedback. I'm glad you found our staff friendly and helpful, and overall, had a nice stay. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to Richmond. We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to see you soon.

372 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and booked off of priceline. For the amount we paid, the stay was a great value. Valet parking was a bit pricey but we were able to find street parking for most of our stay during the weekend.

Pros: Great service, famous cookies (!), complimentary shuttle service within a 3 mile radius until 9pm (this was a huge convenience)
Room for Improvement: I think the hotel is a little bit older which is reflected in the decor. Rooms were a bit outdated, but had everything we needed and the service definitely made up for this fact!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Connie W,
Thank you for your review and letting us know of your nice stay with us. We're glad you liked our hotel, staff, and especially, the cookies! We hope you'll have another opportunity to visit Richmond, and you'll come and visit us again. We look forward to your return.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I'm a business traveler, I spend 225 days a year on the road I see a lot of hotels and talk to a lot of staff. You can see all the other reviews and pretty much get the idea of whats going on at this hotel, yes you have to pay for parking, but anyone who travels knows they will probably have to pay for parking in any downtown hotel, but I do agree that online services like priceline should tell you this up front. My problem at this hotel this day was the general cleanliness of my room and the small bathroom. The furniture was dusty and the bathroom floor was just dirty. The beds were very comfortable though. When I called to have my car brought up I came down and loaded my luggage into my car and there was no valet around to give me my keys, I have no idea where they were and I had to fumble thru the valet stand to find my keys so I could leave. These are minor things really, the rest of the staff was great and if the cleaning staff could just clean the bathroom floor and dust, my room would have been fine. There are some hotels that just "get it" and really do a great job day in and day out, and then there are hotels that you can tell are just going thru the motions, and as friendly as some of the staff is here I think they are just going thru the motions. As I walked thru the lobby to leave the staff was gathered by the front desk all talking to each other laughing...... No one acknowledged me, it was as if I wasn't there. It didn't bother me but I know it would bother some people. I know their attention should always be on the guests. I will be back thru in a week, I wonder if things will be different??

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Jason S,
Thank you for writing a review and letting us know of your experience staying with us. We appreciate your business, and we're glad you chose to stay at Doubletree. I have read your comments completely, and I appreciate your feedback. You're right, our attention should always be on the guests. We will improve this concept and hope to prove it to you upon your next visit. As a matter of fact, I would like to reach out to you on your next visit, and perhaps invite you to breakfast to get a firsthand review of your stay. I'm interested in learning about what you observed during your visit with us. I think you are very genuine in your points, and that you are actually trying to help which I appreciate and welcome. Thanks again. We look forward to seeing you soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Everything about this hotel was great! Until we were checking out and it took thirty minutes to get our car from valet. It didn't take thirty minutes to get our car, no, it took thirty minutes for the valet attendant to tell us they didn't know which keys were ours and to come pick them out. If you stay here, call down to valet if you pay the $18 a night to park, otherwise you'll be sitting around forever.

• Stayed December 2012
Perzozzi,
Thank you for writing a review. We're very glad you stayed with us at Doubletree Hotel while visiting Richmond. Please accept my apology for the mix up with your keys. This is not a typical occurrence for our valet so I apologize for your delay and frustration. Your feedback is valuable, so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I'm glad everything else about our hotel was great. We welcome you to come and visit us again. We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope to see you soon.
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Doubletree Richmond hotel seems to be an older building that was renovated. Staff at check-in and check-out was great. The room was great and the beds were comfortable. I see a lot of bad reviews and I wonder why... We were very satisfied with our stay there. Yes, you are charged for parking but this is what usually happens when you stay downtown. We will stay there again when in RVA.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
sens1992,
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Doubletree Hotel, and we're glad you enjoyed your time with us. I'm pleased to hear that you liked our clean and comfortable rooms as well as our wonderful staff. You're right, parking fees are standard for all downtown hotels. Our hotel, however, does have the lowest rates as well as a great valet staff. We're glad to know that you plan to stay here again, and we hope to see you soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

First and foremost $18 a day parking not disclosed by my third party vendor "Priceline". Someone needs to start a class action lawsuit against these practices, they simply refuse to give you the full cost and it is akin to “undercoating protection and handling fees” at your local car dealership. They are both in cahoots, Doubletree and Priceline, screwing you and me. Sorry for the rant it just really is upsetting to be baited with a low cost that turn my $65 deal to $83 and my company stiffs me for the parking, a separate story.
The room was nice the shower was not, It reminded me of the “low flow” episode on Seinfeld. They also took a very long time to switch out the toxic (to me) feather pillows and quilts (highly allergic). The room was well lit and had a LCD TV and the bed was firm and comfortable.
The car took in excess a 10 minutes to get, the valet disappeared for ten minutes I knew where my car was it was left open I opened the door and the alarm went off and when the valet finally showed up with my car,he mentioned nothing to me about the alarm going off. I have a GPS, a Stiletto 2 for Sirius all of this could have been stolen by his carelessness. Overall, pretty marginal service. On a good note the gym was nice but the TV on my treadmill was also broken.

Room Tip: Don't book in the city unless you have to, you will get hit with parking fees not disclosed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Bob W,
Thank you for your review. We value your business, and we appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Doubletree Hotel. We appreciate your feedback, however we would like to point out that all downtown hotels charge for parking. We are actually the most reasonable. Thank you again. We hope you'll have another opportunity to visit us again soon.
Scott Dial, General Manager

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!