“Price line Hosed me on Parking again” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #31 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Price line Hosed me on Parking again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

First and foremost $18 a day parking not disclosed by my third party vendor "Priceline". Someone needs to start a class action lawsuit against these practices, they simply refuse to give you the full cost and it is akin to “undercoating protection and handling fees” at your local car dealership. They are both in cahoots, Doubletree and Priceline, screwing you and me. Sorry for the rant it just really is upsetting to be baited with a low cost that turn my $65 deal to $83 and my company stiffs me for the parking, a separate story.
The room was nice the shower was not, It reminded me of the “low flow” episode on Seinfeld. They also took a very long time to switch out the toxic (to me) feather pillows and quilts (highly allergic). The room was well lit and had a LCD TV and the bed was firm and comfortable.
The car took in excess a 10 minutes to get, the valet disappeared for ten minutes I knew where my car was it was left open I opened the door and the alarm went off and when the valet finally showed up with my car,he mentioned nothing to me about the alarm going off. I have a GPS, a Stiletto 2 for Sirius all of this could have been stolen by his carelessness. Overall, pretty marginal service. On a good note the gym was nice but the TV on my treadmill was also broken.

Room Tip: Don't book in the city unless you have to, you will get hit with parking fees not disclosed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Bob W,
Thank you for your review. We value your business, and we appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Doubletree Hotel. We appreciate your feedback, however we would like to point out that all downtown hotels charge for parking. We are actually the most reasonable. Thank you again. We hope you'll have another opportunity to visit us again soon.
Scott Dial, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were looking for a pet-friendly place to stay while driving from North Carolina to New York. The hotel was definitely that. And the bed was comfortable. But it's extremely outdated with lots of orange and green, and not in a good way. The carpet in our room was stained in two places. The lamp and the thermostat were broken. The bathroom is tiny. Our non-smoking room smelled like smoke. If you want a pet-friendly place to stay while on a road trip, its ok. But I expected much more from a Hilton.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Quantina B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.
Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Three rooms, for two nights, while attending a family member's wedding at the Jefferson. Hotel is older and you should think "European" when staying here. King room was plenty roomy, but the bathroom was tiny. It did make it a challenge for the Mrs. and me to get ready without some scheduling. I've read reviews that had bad luck with the shuttle...NOT ME! The staff from parking the car to the bellmen to the front desk were all on top of their game. Breakfast was delicious and the staff there was also friendly and helpful. My one drawback was the conversation in the next room was easily heard from my "tucked in the corner" room. But I would go back to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thomas M,
Thank you for your review and letting us know of your pleasant stay with us at Doubletree Hotel. We're delighted you and your wife chose to stay with us while attending a family wedding. We're glad you liked our shuttle service and found our staff friendly and professional. If your travels bring you back to the Richmond area, we hope you'll visit us again.
Hershey, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed for one night on a recent trip to Richmond. The hotel has some nice features, but has a lot of room for improvement. We were promptly greeted by the valet service, which was nice. But I barely had a chance to unload my vehicle. I would have appreciated not feeling so rushed. Another gentleman brought out a luggage cart and helped us bring everything up to our room. Check-in was very quick and friendly. The room was very clean. The bathroom is in need of MAJOR work. The shower drain was clogged. The shower head was falling off the wall. The bathroom ceiling was browned. Otherwise, the room was in fine shape. Bed was extremely comfortable. Had to call for coffee (none was provided in our room) and extra towels (if I knew they only provided 2 I would have requested more to begin with). Ice maker on the floor was broken. Lighting in the room was absolutely terrible....very, very dim. Location is alright...we were approached by several homeless people right outside the hotel...not the nicest part of town. But all in all, a good experience and I would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
KRtrumpet182,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at Doubletree Hotel. We're glad you chose to stay with us and enjoyed our hotel. It's good to hear that your overall experience with us was good, but I apologize for the issues you mentioned with your bathroom. I will make sure to look into this maintenance issue with our staff and remedy the situation right away. Thank you again for your patronage. We're glad to have had you as our guest, and we hope you'll come and visit us again soon.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I travel to Richmond often for business, so an affordable rate in a good location is important. I love to stay in elegant boutique hotels and have stayed at the nearby historic Thomas Jefferson many times, but recently those room rates have been prohibitive. I'm happy to have discovered the moderately-priced Doubletree. It is comfortable, clean, and the staff has always been friendly and accommodating. The mattresses, pillows and down comforters are comfortable, clean and new- an absolute requirement for me.

A previous reviewer expressed concern over the safety of the area. The Doubletree is one block from The Jefferson, one of the nicest hotels in town. It borders the VCU Campus on one side, and is surrounded by wonderfully preserved historic homes and storefronts. Crime is a fact of life in most inner cities, and the visitor should be aware his surroundings and cautious after dark, but the Doubletree feels safe, and if you are uncomfortable walking, the hotel shuttle will take you and pick you up from wherever you want to go.

Parking, as in most cities, is scarce and expensive, so be prepared to pay the hotel's fee (currently $18) to valet park your car. It is a small price for the security of your car.

Bottom line: this is a clean, comfortable, moderately priced lodging.

Room Tip: A high room away from the elevator will be quieter. If you can get a room with a view of the majesti...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
G W,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at Doubletree Hotel Historic Richmond. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we're delighted to know that you particularly like our comfortable bedding. We hope your future business will bring you back to our great city and you'll come and visit us again soon.
Albany, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the doubletree when I was in town to run the Richmond marathon. I was looking for a place close to the start and finish of the race and this seemed to do just fine. I was afraid at first because of the negative reviews but I found nothing wrong with the hotel. The service was decent and the rooms were clean. The free wifi was an added bonus. We also took advantage of the free shuttle service to and from a few places around town. We only had one problem when they picked us up from the race expo...they changed drivers and couldn't find where we were waiting so we ended up waiting for an hour. That was the only real problem. It's also in a nice part of the city from what I could tell. We had food options within walking distance so that was great too. I would stay here again if I visit Richmond in the future.

• Stayed November 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Jen M,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at Doubletree Hotel Richmond. We're glad you chose to stay with us while in town for the Richmond marathon. Hope you had a good run! We're pleased you liked our clean, comfortable rooms as well as our wonderful, friendly staff. I'm glad you were able to use our shuttle service, but apologize for the hour wait you had to endure. We welcome you to come and stay with us again, and hope you'll be back for next year's marathon.
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went down for the Richmond 1/2 marathon and wanted to find a dog friendly hotel. When we travel, we always go to dog friendly hotels. The arrival was strange in that within 1 minute of pulling into the driveway, a non-valet asked me to open my trunk so he could unload my bags. Unsettled, we reluctantly gave the keys to the staff and hoped the car would return. Front desk staff was not very interested in us or providing service. They explained there was no grass for our dog, we would have to find a place. Out we went with the dog for a break and within 1 block, came upon a drug deal going down about 7:00 at night. We took the shuttle to the Asge center for packet pickup and went by a mobile crime unit for the police within 2 blocks of the hotel. We were very concerned for our safety. Rooms were okay - a tad on the small side, but clean and comfortable. Perhaps the valets don't need to honk as they drive around the corner where the rooms are. It was annoying and an easy fix. Install a light so you don't disturb guest when the windows are right about it.

Overall, the hotel was fine and I would stay again if it weren't for the concern over the surrounding area at night. Hard to believe VCU is right there in the middle if this. Kind of reminds me if Hopkins in that respect.

• Stayed November 2012
Krautman,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased you chose to stay with us while attending the Richmond marathon. I'm glad you found our hotel to be nice and liked your comfortable room. I apologize if you didn't feel you were well received upon arrival. We did have a very busy week, but our staff is asked to remain friendly and helpful through all situations. Please accept my apologies and give us another try as we hope to see you again for next year's marathon.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!