“Comfortable and a good value for the location” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   301 West Franklin Street, Richmond, VA 23220   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 82 Hotels in Richmond
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Comfortable and a good value for the location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I travel to Richmond often for business, so an affordable rate in a good location is important. I love to stay in elegant boutique hotels and have stayed at the nearby historic Thomas Jefferson many times, but recently those room rates have been prohibitive. I'm happy to have discovered the moderately-priced Doubletree. It is comfortable, clean, and the staff has always been friendly and accommodating. The mattresses, pillows and down comforters are comfortable, clean and new- an absolute requirement for me.

A previous reviewer expressed concern over the safety of the area. The Doubletree is one block from The Jefferson, one of the nicest hotels in town. It borders the VCU Campus on one side, and is surrounded by wonderfully preserved historic homes and storefronts. Crime is a fact of life in most inner cities, and the visitor should be aware his surroundings and cautious after dark, but the Doubletree feels safe, and if you are uncomfortable walking, the hotel shuttle will take you and pick you up from wherever you want to go.

Parking, as in most cities, is scarce and expensive, so be prepared to pay the hotel's fee (currently $18) to valet park your car. It is a small price for the security of your car.

Bottom line: this is a clean, comfortable, moderately priced lodging.

Room Tip: A high room away from the elevator will be quieter. If you can get a room with a view of the majesti...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
G W,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at Doubletree Hotel Historic Richmond. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we're delighted to know that you particularly like our comfortable bedding. We hope your future business will bring you back to our great city and you'll come and visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Albany, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the doubletree when I was in town to run the Richmond marathon. I was looking for a place close to the start and finish of the race and this seemed to do just fine. I was afraid at first because of the negative reviews but I found nothing wrong with the hotel. The service was decent and the rooms were clean. The free wifi was an added bonus. We also took advantage of the free shuttle service to and from a few places around town. We only had one problem when they picked us up from the race expo...they changed drivers and couldn't find where we were waiting so we ended up waiting for an hour. That was the only real problem. It's also in a nice part of the city from what I could tell. We had food options within walking distance so that was great too. I would stay here again if I visit Richmond in the future.

• Stayed November 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Jen M,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us at Doubletree Hotel Richmond. We're glad you chose to stay with us while in town for the Richmond marathon. Hope you had a good run! We're pleased you liked our clean, comfortable rooms as well as our wonderful, friendly staff. I'm glad you were able to use our shuttle service, but apologize for the hour wait you had to endure. We welcome you to come and stay with us again, and hope you'll be back for next year's marathon.
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went down for the Richmond 1/2 marathon and wanted to find a dog friendly hotel. When we travel, we always go to dog friendly hotels. The arrival was strange in that within 1 minute of pulling into the driveway, a non-valet asked me to open my trunk so he could unload my bags. Unsettled, we reluctantly gave the keys to the staff and hoped the car would return. Front desk staff was not very interested in us or providing service. They explained there was no grass for our dog, we would have to find a place. Out we went with the dog for a break and within 1 block, came upon a drug deal going down about 7:00 at night. We took the shuttle to the Asge center for packet pickup and went by a mobile crime unit for the police within 2 blocks of the hotel. We were very concerned for our safety. Rooms were okay - a tad on the small side, but clean and comfortable. Perhaps the valets don't need to honk as they drive around the corner where the rooms are. It was annoying and an easy fix. Install a light so you don't disturb guest when the windows are right about it.

Overall, the hotel was fine and I would stay again if it weren't for the concern over the surrounding area at night. Hard to believe VCU is right there in the middle if this. Kind of reminds me if Hopkins in that respect.

• Stayed November 2012
Krautman,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased you chose to stay with us while attending the Richmond marathon. I'm glad you found our hotel to be nice and liked your comfortable room. I apologize if you didn't feel you were well received upon arrival. We did have a very busy week, but our staff is asked to remain friendly and helpful through all situations. Please accept my apologies and give us another try as we hope to see you again for next year's marathon.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I'm here now. The only reason I've given it a three is that I am impressed with the employees - check-in, restaurant, bar and valet were all very professional, helpful and informed. They were all 5 star employees. Unfortunately, there are things that I expect from Hilton, regardless of where the property falls on the star scale - I do not want my room to reek of perfume, I want a decent mattress, when I order a nice glass of red wine from your restaurant I would like it served in a red wine glass (I do not need to hear how the guests run off with your red wine glasses. That is a management issue, not a guest issue.), and finally, I would like the ice machine to work.

This was really I mixed bag. I certainly expect more from Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
jmsvss,

Thank you for your review. We're glad to have you as our guest. I appreciate your kind compliments about our staff. We do have an exceptional team. We certainly want you to receive our typical Hilton high standards of service and accommodations. During your stay, feel free to speak with me, the General Manager, as we hope to work through your comments and provide a more positive experience.
Gorleston-on-Sea, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at the Richmond Doubletree for 2 nights in October 2012. The room was spacious and comfortable and the staff that took care of our car and the reception staff were helpful and friendly. On our first day our room was not cleaned when we returned from our day out. We phoned reception and asked for more coffee for the following morning but when it did not arrive we had to phone again. Having said that the shuttle service was very good as was the car parking service. We felt the hotel was not exactly downtown but this did not cause us too many problems because we used the shuttle service to get around and back to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Jon S,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased you chose to stay with us at Doubletree Hotel. I'm glad you liked our hotel as well as our complimentary shuttle service. I apologize for your room not being cleaned during the afternoon as it should have been. I hope our staff accomodated your needs well and made you feel satisfied with our services. We hope your future travels will bring you back to Richmond and you'll come and stay with us again.
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was in town for a wedding, and so was not super picky about the hotel since we wouldn't be spending much time there. But I have to say, I was shocked that this was part of the wedding list of hotels. The rooms were dark, old, tiny bathrooms, and no refrigerators. The wallpaper was peeling from the walls! The rooms were noisy, pipes, elevator, talking from other rooms. The toilet was running and no one every came to service it after I called three times. Very old and needs updating.

The free shuttle within 3 miles of the hotel sounds great, but it was totally inconvenient and always took 30 - 45 minutes to be of any use. We always had to pay (a lot) for a cab instead. The one time we actually used the service the driver was completely rude and almost didn't take our group to our requested destination just a mile away from the hotel!

The lobby is nice, with plenty of room to congregate. The bar is literally right across from the elevators which is strange. There was also an altercation on Saturday night where the police had to come and ask a guest to leave the bar and go to his room. It made me feel unsafe the rest of the trip with the person still allowed to stay in the hotel.

The 8.50 breakfast buffet was totally useless. We were in a hurry to get to the airport and nothing was stocked on the hot bar. We had to ask them to replenish (they should have been on top of it... since they didn't have a menu to order from). It took over 20 minutes for any of the food to be put back out. When it was put out, it was either under or overcooked. Terrible.

The staff in general was very rude and not interested in helping anyone.

I would never recoommend this hotel to anyone and will think twice about staying at a doubletree again... which is sad. I have had great experiences at many other doubletree locations. Hilton needs to seriously re-vamp this location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
jhole813,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you chose to stay with us at Doubletree. I have read your review, and would like to offer my apology for your dissatisfying experience at our hotel. Let me assure you that we’ve had recent staff meetings discussing such issues as you mentioned and major changes have been implemented. At the time of your stay, our staffing situation was not at the highest level of service typical of our Doubletree Hotels. Please continue to place our Doubletree Hotels at the top of your list of hotels. We hope you will plan to visit us again as we ensure a more positive experience.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

To be honest Hotel is fine if you are in the area on business. Rooms are clean, spacious and stocked with everything you really need. Hotel is a little characterless though which is a shame as the town is overflowing with character. As a consequence I think that if I happen to be in the area again I would probably choose to stay somewhere else with a little more character and somewhere also in a more central location.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
1879fulham,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to have had you as our guest. I'm glad you found our rooms to be clean, spacious, and well equipped. We hope you will come and visit us again soon.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!