“Rooms, Service, Staff, everything was terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X HHonors Points
Ranked #28 of 81 hotels in Richmond
Atlanta
“Rooms, Service, Staff, everything was terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was in town for a wedding, and so was not super picky about the hotel since we wouldn't be spending much time there. But I have to say, I was shocked that this was part of the wedding list of hotels. The rooms were dark, old, tiny bathrooms, and no refrigerators. The wallpaper was peeling from the walls! The rooms were noisy, pipes, elevator, talking from other rooms. The toilet was running and no one every came to service it after I called three times. Very old and needs updating.

The free shuttle within 3 miles of the hotel sounds great, but it was totally inconvenient and always took 30 - 45 minutes to be of any use. We always had to pay (a lot) for a cab instead. The one time we actually used the service the driver was completely rude and almost didn't take our group to our requested destination just a mile away from the hotel!

The lobby is nice, with plenty of room to congregate. The bar is literally right across from the elevators which is strange. There was also an altercation on Saturday night where the police had to come and ask a guest to leave the bar and go to his room. It made me feel unsafe the rest of the trip with the person still allowed to stay in the hotel.

The 8.50 breakfast buffet was totally useless. We were in a hurry to get to the airport and nothing was stocked on the hot bar. We had to ask them to replenish (they should have been on top of it... since they didn't have a menu to order from). It took over 20 minutes for any of the food to be put back out. When it was put out, it was either under or overcooked. Terrible.

The staff in general was very rude and not interested in helping anyone.

I would never recoommend this hotel to anyone and will think twice about staying at a doubletree again... which is sad. I have had great experiences at many other doubletree locations. Hilton needs to seriously re-vamp this location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
jhole813,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you chose to stay with us at Doubletree. I have read your review, and would like to offer my apology for your dissatisfying experience at our hotel. Let me assure you that we’ve had recent staff meetings discussing such issues as you mentioned and major changes have been implemented. At the time of your stay, our staffing situation was not at the highest level of service typical of our Doubletree Hotels. Please continue to place our Doubletree Hotels at the top of your list of hotels. We hope you will plan to visit us again as we ensure a more positive experience.

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

To be honest Hotel is fine if you are in the area on business. Rooms are clean, spacious and stocked with everything you really need. Hotel is a little characterless though which is a shame as the town is overflowing with character. As a consequence I think that if I happen to be in the area again I would probably choose to stay somewhere else with a little more character and somewhere also in a more central location.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
1879fulham,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to have had you as our guest. I'm glad you found our rooms to be clean, spacious, and well equipped. We hope you will come and visit us again soon.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

For a one night buisness trip, this Hotel is fine, the rooms could use a face lift, I opened the curtains and the paint had major peeling - the room and bathrooms were clean - It is downtown and good for business meetings - if I came back to richmond I would stay here again, but only for a brief stay -

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
bubba086,

Thank you for choosing Doubletree and writing a review about your stay with us. We’re glad you had a pleasant stay with us and hope you enjoyed the Richmond area. Please come and stay with us again soon.

Ringgold, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

I had a great stay here if I wasn't dealing with the valet. My room was nice, spacious and clean. Bathroom small, but the niceness and cleanliness of the room made up for it. Laura was our waitress in the bar and she was totally awesome, the other girl bartender never even looked our way! Herb drove the shuttle and gave out his cards but never answered or returned calls. Chris was super friendly but we ended up stranded about 3 miles from our hotel because he was busy. He said he would call us when he was on his way and never heard from him. His friendliness made up for that, we got a taxi but I don't appreciate Kendall the front desk clerk laughing at me when I called her and asked for a shuttle ride one night, she laughed like it was funny that the shuttle driver was busy and I was going to be stranded, not cute! Dan was super helpful at checkout with my incorrect bill. Breakfast was horrid!!! I have never tasted something so bad in my life, so of course that left us having to go out for every meal. At checkout we called for our car 15 minutes ahead of time because it usually took that long, we stood there looking around for our car, about 10 minutes later, I looked around again and there's my car sitting on the road, locked, nobody knew where my keys were so there's another 10 minute wait! Nice hotel, nice rooms, nice staff, get new valet!

• Stayed September 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
bailey h,

Thank you for your review. We’re glad to have had you stay with us at Doubletree Hotel. I’m pleased you liked our clean and comfortable rooms and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I have read your comments thoroughly and will take action to make sure our hotel provides the highest quality of service to our guests in all departments. Thank you for your business. We hope you will come and visit with us again.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

When staying in chain hotels, I generally try to choose a Hilton property. On this occasion, a wedding took me to Richmond, VA and I opted to stay downtown at the Doubletree Hotel. It lacks what I would call great curb appeal, but found the staff welcoming and the lobby attractive.

After a quick check-in, we arrived at our room on the 12th floor. I'm not sure of the history of this property, but it has the feel of needing an update. The carpeting was worn and stained in a couple of spots, furniture scuffed and bathroom not quite as clean as I would like.

What I found most unusual is that while our beds were made after the first night, no trash was emptied, towels replaced or room otherwise cleaned, though they did replaced the coffee items.

We opted for lunch in the restaurant and found it to be pretty standard hotel fare, nothing notable but not awful. Again, the staff was friendly and hospitable.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again, but with the knowledge that it won't be up to the usual Hilton standards I've come to enjoy.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor. There seems to be a constant roar of firetrucks in the neighborhood.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
AtlantaPhotog,

Thank you for writing a review and letting us know of your pleasant stay with us at Doubletree. We’re glad you chose to stay with us while attending a wedding in Richmond. I’m glad you liked our hotel and found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will choose us again the next time you’re visiting the downtown Richmond area.

Cruz Bay, St. John
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The staff was friendly and made sure your needs were met! The valet parking and shuttle services made vacation that much easier! It is a clean and nice place to stay! Would definitely stay there again and send others too!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Clark00831,
I am pleased you enjoyed you stay in Richmond, VA. Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to you staying with us again.
Scott Dial
Centreville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We booked this hotel for our family reunion and generally found it to be very good, all things considered. The location was good for our outside events, the rooms were adequate, but not top quality. We were on the 14th floor and others in our family were on other floors below us. The cooked breakfast was very good and there was plenty for all to eat. The hotel provided a room for our family to have a private breakfast at no additional cost. The overnight parking fee was too high... $18/night. We spent time during the evenings sitting around the pool on the roof are talking. The hotel bar area seemed to be very active and there were a lot of people sitting around in the lobby enjoying the nice sized seating area. The beds were comfortable and the linens were clean. The bathroom was small and dated, but nicely kept. We will probably book the same hotel for next year.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear KNSW,
Thank you for writing a wonderful review on TripAdvisor! Your comments regarding the hotels location, bar, pool and your private breakfast for you family is greatly appreciated. Thank you for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Richmond for your family reunion, we appreciate your business.
Scott Dial

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Richmond Downtown? Share your experiences!